TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023
I applied in October.
I was put through for CMS, Simmons and Lloyds bank, I only proceeded with CMS and Simmons, Was rejected from CMS on Monday and i had an AC with Simmons yesterday. You only do an AC for Simmons if you want a TC consideration after the internship.
Thanks for updating! I'm interested in how the assigning of applications to firms work? Mine were all East Anglia Based - 2 Private Practice and 1 In house. I'm based in the east midlands which was mentioned in my CV so I think they connect us with firms through that?

EllaClayton

Valued Member
Jan 23, 2023
Hi, do you know if all the AC invites have been sent out? Should I just assume I got rejected.. :(
Hi I’m afraid I don’t know as I think I was an earlier AC date and only got two options for dates (when I know they’ve ran more since), third week of February would be next week and I had less than a weeks notice for my AC so you might still have a chance if they’re running next week!

J53

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jan 12, 2024
    Anyone has the idea for the question "What value do you think a client secondment has when working in private practice?"
    The way it has been explained to me is that it's effectively free labour for the client as the firm continues to pay your wages. This helps deepen the client relationship as it enables a greater closeness between the client and the firm; it will probably be one of the terms to sit on a panel that a firm gives the client x number of trainees. However, in the age of client demand for lower fees and the growth in software designed to reduce client fees through encouraging competition amongst firms to reduce their fees. This looking for cheaper deals has led many firms to question and weigh up the point of giving these clients free labour, in addition to the rest of the BD they do, which adds up to millions in unclaimed billables if the client is just going to go with whoever's bidding the cheapest for that matter.

BolderBlackPrincess

Dec 16, 2023
    Your comment was not necessary - Bolder.

From my own personal experience, many VS candidates are proactive and “do make an effort”, unfortunately because they are of a BAME or minority ethnic background, many partners and associates turn a blind eye and will only consider fellow “white counterparts”. FACTS!

There are many partners in elite law firms who sadly are quite narrow minded, and do not hold a “diverse mindset” shall I say the least.

Out of interest - did you secure that TC offer after a few beers?
    The VS was a top firm, I did get the TC offer, which I turned down. I'm also black, female and working class - of the 5 or so (including me) I know who were invited to drinks with their respective supervisors, there were 3 of us who were from some kind of minority ethnic group. There is racism in every country in the world, within every cross-section of society, but this absolutist mindset that minority ethnic groups are always the victim is damaging. It prevents people actually looking for their flaws and improving upon them, instead looking to blame anyone but themselves.

I am not suggesting that racism does not exist, obviously, but I think your approach is completely wrong and damaging to the community. Whilst I cannot talk to your respective experience, I think it's self-destructive to not consider the high probability that others were invited to drinks because they were more personable, not just because they were white.

Last edited:

Erspencer

Aug 4, 2023
    Thanks. What kind of work do you normally get on with in Commercial Litigation at your firm? My dream is to work in Corporate/M&A at bigger firms. I believe even if I somehow work in big firms as a paralegal, regardless of the areas - I could transfer skills/networking into landing positions at bigger firms for TCs, etc.
    I’ve been really lucky that my team have been so encouraging with me developing my skills so I’ve had the opportunity to work on a range of tasks such as:
    - document review
    - taking notes of client calls/meetings
    - going to court and taking notes
    - bundle preparation
    - drafting letters/emails to counsel and or the side other
    - article/legal research and/or first drafts
    And then more admin tasks such as billing, correspondence review etc

It’s been great and I genuinely think it’s been such a help with applications and interviews this cycle as I feel more confident in my answers.

I would say that I’ve been lucky as a lot of my tasks would generally be classed as trainee level but I would say I have a higher level of responsibility by working hard and being recognised by the partners in my team.
    Happy to answer any more specific questions if you have them!

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2020
    Im feeling burnt out... Is anyone else struggling as well?
    I've got months worth of FT to catch up on, a task to complete by the end of the week, and probably an invitation to another task on the way.
    I should be grateful that my cycle hasnt ended by now but I just cant find the motivation to do them. This is absurd cause I would have loved to do all these when I was busy writing applications.
    Its the end of the cycle and I feel like I'm almost there, but dont know how I am going to get through the next few weeks😫

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hey everyone!

I have received an invite to Addleshaw Goddard 's (AG 's) assessment centre (AC).

I was wondering if anyone had any insights or tips on preparing for it. I am incredibly nervous as it is the first AC I have secured.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)
    Congratulations on obtaining your first assessment centre, this is such an amazing achievement and you should be so proud of yourself for everything you have done so far and the effort you have put in!

I have shared some tips on this post for assessment centres in general and I hope you find it helpful: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-167210

Good luck with the assessment and congratulations once again!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    - Interest rates
    - ESG
    - Private equity changes (fundraising and structuring)
    - UK election + international conflicts

These are the only ones I could think off the top of my head!
    Thank you for sharing these, I think these are exactly the same ones I would have shared too. I am sure this will be very helpful to people in general that are going through interviews and assessment centres now so thank you so much!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Legalstalker

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    I think I’ve hit rock bottom…. dreaming of potential interview questions and waking up in a fright🤣I think it’s time to start auctioning my organs…..anyone have insight to Goodwin interview? You’ll have first dibs xox
    (Disease free)
    Hey @Legalstalker,

Congratulations on obtaining an interview with Goodwin. Here is a link to the post where I shared some tips on the Goodwin interview. I hope this is helpful: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-164503

I have mentored and talked to many candidates with the interview invite in the last couple of weeks and they found these tips really helpful and accurate so I hope they can be useful to you too.

Best of luck and congratulations again!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    I'll add onto that

- Legal recruitment, of course NQ salaries have skyrocketed in the last 10 years, but particularly those in PE are becoming extremely expensive. As an example Neel Sachdev, a PE partner, was lured from K&E to Paul Weiss for a reported 20 million a year. In terms of pay, this is a battle that US firms are winning and will win easily, UK firms can't compete, so they have to look for other ways to attract the top talent as relative to the below point, the more talented a lawyer = more efficient time spent on matters = more profit.

- At the same time as salaries going up, clients are becoming ever more demanding on reducing costs, through software such as persuit, or by demanding alternative fee arrangements rather than traditional hourly billing. This has meant that many firms, mainly MC and US are pricing themselves out of a lot of work as it is no longer worth their time/reputation to do such work, therefore limiting themselves on the size/type of work that they do and meaning a lot of firms are fighting over an ever more exclusive amount of work.
    Really great insights @J53, these are great points to reflect on and think about too!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    AI: lots of firms are collaborating with tech companies to create their own AI tools to help clients & the new EU AI law that’s coming out. Data privacy/cybersecurity in the context of AI is also worth reading into.

Expansion: some firms are looking to open new offices across the globe and it may be worth researching where would be best for the firm you’re applying to. You can bring in commercial knowledge here through your research.

D&I: not sure if you’ve seen the discourse on this forum about diversity but firms are talking about it more so it would be worth looking into as well. Particularly their own individual initiatives and having an answer as to why diversity is important in the legal profession.

Would also be worth knowing who that firm’s competitors are, what their client offering is and why the firm you have applied to is “better”.

Other topics: Israel/Hamas, the transition from private equity to private credit, energy/natural resources & ESG, understanding the business cycle, how an M&A transaction works etc.

Everything I’ve mentioned is based on my experience at ACs, interviews and on my applications!
    Great points added here @aspiringlawyer47 thanks for sharing, these are really good!

• 🏆
    Reactions: aspiringlawyer47

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.