TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

PlscanIhaveaTC

Star Member
Oct 1, 2020
Just a little vent, but how do you all deal with useless feedback from grad rec at firms? I had an AC recently that came to nothing, but the feedback call I had was almost frustrating in its uselessness.

The woman I spoke to told me the drafting exercise was "unique to [the firm]" so couldn't offer me any specific improvement tips, and that my performance in the group exercise was "an interesting one" without giving me specifics even when I pushed her. I was expecting the standard "here's what we liked, here's what you could improve on", but the way she presented the feedback to me made me was just so generic and so useless and made me feel like there weren't any positives to mention even though I thought it went well. Even with a few days of space and reflection I still feel frustrated (I know it's just because I care so much).

AC feedback is so valuable because it's the only time I think we get genuine insight into how it's possible to improve. I just feel a bit deflated and dejected when I got the equivalent of the sort of "feedback" some firms give in their PFO email, just in phone call form.
I can relate. My feedback after a failed vac scheme was that I needed more confidence and more experience within professional services as my background was predominantly retail. But otherwise I have “lots of potential”. It really made me feel like I was just there to tick a diversity box.

zara elles

Legendary Member
Dec 24, 2020
I am waiting too not sure why others would be offered AC ‘s last month yet they wait so long to pfo those unsuccessful? They said they aim to get back to applicants by 24th of May so we will probably get it by next week.
I just got an email saying they now intend to get back by 31st May. Not sure either why they are waiting so long when it’s surely a pfo at this point

cleojwilliams

Premium Member
Jan 31, 2024
I just got an email saying they now intend to get back by 31st May. Not sure either why they are waiting so long when it’s surely a pfo at this point
Maybe everyone who applied gets individual feedback so even though it’s likely a pfo it’s still taking long. However, I think they should really send a blanket rejection email to put everyone out of their misery then just give the individual feedback at a later date.

zara elles

Legendary Member
Dec 24, 2020
Maybe everyone who applied gets individual feedback so even though it’s likely a pfo it’s still taking long. However, I think they should really send a blanket rejection email to put everyone out of their misery then just give the individual feedback at a later date.
I haven’t heard back since the initial application stage so I doubt they would be giving feedback for my application, i think firms only give feedback if you passed got to the interview stage.

I agree I think they should’ve just sent out the blanket rejection email but not sure if I’m being too hopeful in thinking there’s still a shot if they have not finalised everything yet

Reactions: PlscanIhaveaTC

desperateTCseeker1998

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2023
I haven’t heard back since the initial application stage so I doubt they would be giving feedback for my application, i think firms only give feedback if you passed got to the interview stage.

I agree I think they should’ve just sent out the blanket rejection email but not sure if I’m being too hopeful in thinking there’s still a shot if they have not finalised everything yet
I'm pretty certain Ashurst don't give individual feedback post-app. I'm feeling the same as you, cautiously optimistic when I had previously given up all hope? I'm thinking perhaps they haven't marked all the written ACs yet and they're waiting to see if people did well enough on them or not, and if they didn't then they might give out some more ACs? That's my current theory because I don't see why else they wouldn't reject us. Either that or something completely random has happened that couldn't have been foreseen like one of grad rec has had to go on sick leave or something and so there's been a delay in getting through applications and less capacity to oversee ACs

zara elles

Legendary Member
Dec 24, 2020
I'm pretty certain Ashurst don't give individual feedback post-app. I'm feeling the same as you, cautiously optimistic when I had previously given up all hope? I'm thinking perhaps they haven't marked all the written ACs yet and they're waiting to see if people did well enough on them or not, and if they didn't then they might give out some more ACs? That's my current theory because I don't see why else they wouldn't reject us. Either that or something completely random has happened that couldn't have been foreseen like one of grad rec has had to go on sick leave or something and so there's been a delay in getting through applications and less capacity to oversee ACs
Exactly my thoughts which is why I’ve suddenly become slightly hopeful. However, the pessimist in me is also thinking that they have probably filled up their TC places from the ACs but legally cannot send out rejections unless they have reviewed the application. Which is why they are just needing the extra week for someone to skim over them before they reply

desperateTCseeker1998

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2023
Exactly my thoughts which is why I’ve suddenly become slightly hopeful. However, the pessimist in me is also thinking that they have probably filled up their TC places from the ACs but legally cannot send out rejections unless they have reviewed the application. Which is why they are just needing the extra week for someone to skim over them before they reply
They weren't rolling though so idk why they would have not reviewed some apps but definitely be rejecting them? Don't get me wrong haha I think it's probably still a PFO but I've gone from thinking it's 100% a PFO to thinking it's 98% a PFO

Reactions: zara elles

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
There is no legal requirement to review forms, so I don’t think that particular assumption will be true.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
this has probably been asked a thousand times, but how do you actually compare a firm to their competitors? what kind of factors are they looking for us to mention during interviews, and how do we research them?
There is no definition on this - in fact what they are really looking for is for you to analyse and explain how you have defined the competitors and explained the importance of why you have chosen that criteria.

There are lots of different criteria you can apply, and in an answer you are not going to be able to use them all. Some of the aspects to consider are:

Locations
Client base
Sector expertise
Practice areas
Who they lose or gain talent to/from (eg have any partners jumped ship either to or from this firm)
Revenue.

Some of those categories can also be defined themselves - for instance, one competitor in one practice area might be different to another.

chanse2108

Premium Member
Apr 30, 2024
@Jessica Booker Hi, does anyone have any advice on how to answer competency interview questions for a TC interview at the end of the vac scheme. For e.g, if I am being asked to tell a time I was resilient, can I use an example from my university experience (which I also mentioned in the vac scheme interview) or am I supposed to use an example from this vac scheme experience? Thanks.

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023
i got 15/15 and rejected 🤣
I know this is down to the rest of the application and the firm's strategy, but is there a reason why this happens? You can do quite well for a telephone interview, you can get top marks as this commenter did but still get rejected. I don't get it. Surely you should progress to the next stage if you perform quite well at one of the most crucial stages? @Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Would appreciate anyone's opinion on this: Last year I did a vac scheme and got along really well with the Grad Rec Partner who encouraged me to stay in touch. I didn't connect on LinkedIn at the time but have recently accepted a paralegal job and used a lot of the interview tips they gave me. Is it too late/awkward to reach out, connect and say thanks?
No - not an issue to connect with them now. A brief message thanking them for their advice as you think it helped you in your recent interview when you send the connection will be good to explain why you are connecting now.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I know this is down to the rest of the application and the firm's strategy, but is there a reason why this happens? You can do quite well for a telephone interview, you can get top marks as this commenter did but still get rejected. I don't get it. Surely you should progress to the next stage if you perform quite well at one of the most crucial stages? @Jessica Booker
It’s tricky for me to know the exact reasons for this. But I do find it strange that someone with top scores is not getting through to the next stage.

To me there could be two reasons:

1) so many people are getting the top scores they are having to consider another piece of evidence

Or

2) they are weighing up different evidence alongside that assessment when making a decision. It maybe that there is a minimum benchmark in something else that is being assessed or the scores are being combined and/or possibly averaged out in some form.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Sharon Wu

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Any tips how to prepare for a vac scheme?
There is some great advice in these threads and posts:

Thread 'Converting your vacation scheme into a training contract - top tips in 2021'
https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....to-a-training-contract-top-tips-in-2021.3454/

www.thecorporatelawacademy.com

Convert your vacation scheme into a training contract | The Corporate Law Academy

We spoke to Rosie Watterson, founder of the blog Apply.Shine.Win, to learn how students can convert their vacation scheme into a training contract offer.

Post in thread 'TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24'
https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-169320

Reactions: gazdgazd11

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.