TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Ugh. I don't know about anyone working a full-time job and doing VS applications, it's exhausting - I already feel burnt-out and like I want to cry most days.
@google_was_my_idea I have a couple of friends who are doing it and it is exhausting indeed and I am sorry you are in this position but I would focus on how courageous and resourceful you are by doing both, and how you excel at time management, all things you can actually put in your applications as reasons for you to be considered for a TC. So I am encouraging you to keep going and follow your dreams, all your hard work will pay off!

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
Ugh. I don't know about anyone working a full-time job and doing VS applications, it's exhausting - I already feel burnt-out and like I want to cry most days.
Here with you!
Pretty tough alright, already in a job which is demanding mentally and on my time. Spending the few hours I have in the evening trying to draft applications is tough and its hard to feel able to ever really 'switch off' [find I can't even enjoy a lazy Saturday morning now as I keep pressuring myself to work on drafts]. I just keep thinking it will be worth it in the end and I'll soon forget about all this. Keep going :)

• 🤝
Reactions: tcla888 and I’m_Batman

LawEnthus

Star Member
Oct 2, 2020
Hi @LawEnthus I am not entirely sure but I am assuming they mean interactions you had with the firm, people you talked to that might inspired you to apply or also reading some particular piece of news about them on forums, online journals, podcasts, interviews of important partners at the firm, things of that nature. I hope this is helpful and let me know if you have any other query!
Thank you! I was going to talk about a law fair I spoke to them at so this is reassuring.

Reactions: axelbeugre

islasorna

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 29, 2023
Will I be at an advantage if I apply for a TC at a city firm (and office) I currently work at? Like will my current supervisor and line manager be asked about my performance? Or is recruitment completely separate?

Aug 28, 2023
Just got rejected to attend an open day at Baker McKenzie - a little surprised and disappointed.
Does anyone know how competitive they are?

I felt I wrote a decent application and have been accepted to attend open days (at arguably more 'prestigious' firms) in the past.
Sorry to hear that!

I personally don't think they are overly prestigious and maybe others thought the same so there were lots of applicants.

Congrats on getting other open days, and if it makes you feel better - there are MUCH better firms to go to than Baker Mckenzie! Well Done again!

I’m_Batman

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2023
    Will I be at an advantage if I apply for a TC at a city firm (and office) I currently work at? Like will my current supervisor and line manager be asked about my performance? Or is recruitment completely separate?
    This is hard to say and it depends on the firm. Generally, being an internal candidate can be a good thing as it flags that you work for the firm currently so have a good impression for what it is like. But generally, this is only good for getting you past the application stage and nothing more; the point of going through the same cycle as other candidates means you're not at an unfair advantage but it might mean you get there quickly (ie to the VI, AC etc.). Generally, you should apply to the firm, you'd be silly not to imo. I've done this with a couple firms I've worked at now with varying results but I don't think* I'd have made final stage without it at one big city firm.

Last edited:

stone’sthrow

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Nov 9, 2019
    @google_was_my_idea I have a couple of friends who are doing it and it is exhausting indeed and I am sorry you are in this position but I would focus on how courageous and resourceful you are by doing both, and how you excel at time management, all things you can actually put in your applications as reasons for you to be considered for a TC. So I am encouraging you to keep going and follow your dreams, all your hard work will pay off!
    Hi Axel,

How did you practice for scenario case studies in interviews? Asking you about legal remedies and how you would advise a client?

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I wouldn’t necessarily say a direct advantage, but many firms will get feedback from your department/supervisor to include in the decision making process, and that feedback can be beneficial in at least getting you an interview.

Some firms don’t do this and keep the process consistent, but many do. If you have been at you firm more than six months, it might be something to speak to either your line manager or HR about so you can understand the process.

Reactions: I’m_Batman

WindowsUpdate

• Sep 28, 2022
    For those that have taken Clyde & Co's cappfinity online video assessment, what kind of questions did you get, how many etc.? And do you just get 2 minutes after reading the question to prepare or do you get unlimited prep time before recording an answer? Website not clear on this

I’m_Batman

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2023
    For those that have taken Clyde & Co's cappfinity online video assessment, what kind of questions did you get, how many etc.? And do you just get 2 minutes after reading the question to prepare or do you get unlimited prep time before recording an answer? Website not clear on this
    I think it's 3 questions with 15 seconds to prepare and 90 seconds to answer and one practice question. Haven't done it yet though so unsure. I'm not sure you'll get anyone telling you the questions as it put other candidates, themselves included, at a disadvantage. I don't usually see anyone coming back to the platform and spilling beans on what questions they had.

Reactions: WindowsUpdate

mc98

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 21, 2023
    Is there a list of law firms that sponsor Tier 2 visas?
    Most of the magic circle and US/international law firms sponsor. I would recommend individually reach out to the graduate recruitment officers. You could email them or ask them on different law fairs and firm specific fairs.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.