TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hey, I just submitted my application for Ashurst WVS and it was not that bad. It was basically a cover letter, a question about why them, and then a standard question on what you think a commercial lawyer does. However, I would say that their online assessment was awful. No matter how they spin it, or whatever anyone says, you cannot convince me a candidates ability to burst numerous balloons that contain the correct equations for a given figure (within 10 seconds) is indicative of numerical problem solving. If that's the case, I expect that these law firms do not actually ask their clients for copies of their financial accounts anymore, and instead provide them with a pack of balloons, a dry wipe marker, and a stopwatch. Good luck, if you do apply I would suggest practising your speed on these sort of games (the Elevate/Peak App on App Store is great for this).
Thank you so much for sharing your experience, I feel like it will help people! @LegallyBrown

Phoebe Turner

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 16, 2020
What is the difference between applying for a linklaters open day vs a vacation scheme? Is the open day to VS AC fast track for everyone that gets into the open day?
everyone that gets into the open day gets invited to an AC for the spring or summer vac scheme. I believe you can still apply for a vac scheme separately if you're not succesfull in applying to the open day

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
Hall of Fame Post.

Also precisely why people shouldn't apply. NRF as well.

Another frivolous exercise sold by snake oil people and bought by gullible operations.
I don’t see why Ashurst and Norton Rose Fulbright have these, but far more profitable firms like Macfarlanes, Slaughter and May, and Travers Smith don’t have them. I’m not even applying to NRF this cycle due to the tests.

Nicole15

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    For apps to HSF, does your app only get 'reviewed' after you pass the benchmark for the tests? I received an email following the tests that it is now 'under review'. Thanks!

Reactions: juiceboy

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2020
    Do we have to finish the psychometric tests for Ashurst before the applicaiton deadline? or can we take more time after submitting our application until the deadline for the psychometirc tests (3 days after app submission)?

EM23

Esteemed Member
    Dec 10, 2022
    Personally really liked Ashurst's and other firms spin on those pymetric tests or whatever you wish to call them haha. Could never really defend the Watson Glaser Test even though I have done okay with it. The semantics used in those types of psychometric tests to me are just another convoluted academic hurdle used to slow down progress from certain groups when you have to obtain an insanely high percentage for certain firms. Real life work experience, competency questions are always a better indicator but that is just my opinion! Always happy to see diverse and different recruitment practices.

NJS

Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    I didn’t know about the Linklaters open day, so if you get a place on that, you then get fast tracked to an AC for the vac scheme? Seems like a no brainer to apply for the open day then?

Bubbles

Legendary Member
    Jan 19, 2022
    Hi @Jessica Booker , my friend did a vac scheme with a firm in July but couldn't convert it into a TC. On the day of the feedback call, the firm cancelled the call 10 minutes before it was supposed to happen and asked her to email them to reschedule. She didn't receive any reply after that. She's emailed HR, the supervisor etc but hasn't heard at all. What can she do in this situation?

Tintin06

Legendary Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    Do Travers Smith still have the massive disclaimer on the first page that THEY WILL NOT INTERVIEW ANYONE WHO HAS FAILED BEFORE!!!

Seems unnecessarily aggressive and counterproductive long term.

A good barrister could even argue it maaay be illegal, not that you would reapply with that attitude, even if you improved yourself.
    I got rejected, reapplied and got the Travers VS.

Last edited:

IwantaVacSchemePlz

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 17, 2023
    That is interesting. My friend said he just didn't reapply after seeing the first page. Maybe they've taken it down.
    i went to a talk with grad rec, they will let you reapply as many times as you want if you don't pass the app stage (even during the same cycle), but if you get an interview and don't pass that, you are not eligible to reapply

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jessica Booker

Louise59

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Feb 13, 2023
    Is anyone else experiencing issues adding their CGSE grades for Covington ? It's the 10th time I try in 5 days and it also adds an error message. I am gutted I wanted to get it done today...

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I don’t see why Ashurst and Norton Rose Fulbright have these, but far more profitable firms like Macfarlanes, Slaughter and May, and Travers Smith don’t have them. I’m not even applying to NRF this cycle due to the tests.
    I agree, that test used by NRF, where you have to decipher the emotion of a pixelated computer-generated face to determine your level of personability, is, in my opinion, quite frankly ridiculous.

I think a couple of the Big4 use these particular tests as well, which is probably where is probably where they have spilt over from.

DKLaw

Star Member
    Feb 8, 2023
    Do we have to finish the psychometric tests for Ashurst before the applicaiton deadline? or can we take more time after submitting our application until the deadline for the psychometirc tests (3 days after app submission)?
    I would also appreciate if someone could share their views on this. I am thinking of sending the application today or tomorrow (really late ik), but if we do not receive the link before the deadline and they won't review the application for those who do the test after the deadline, then its a bit pointless...

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.