TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

IwantaVacSchemePlz

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 17, 2023
Does anyone know if you can reapply to NRF? I got to TI in February, but want to apply for their WVS. Their website says if you got to the assessment centre stage, you have to wait 12 months, but app stage, you can reapply whenever...

Nicole15

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    I'm a recent grad who was a bit late to the application game (did my first cycle in 3rd year, got a VS but didn't convert) and v anxious to get something sorted as soon as possible so wanted to get in some winter VS applications which close v soon, the thing is I have a final round interview for a job in the legal sector next week and so am unsure whether I should wait to send off applications until after incase I get it (which would be too late for winter applications)? Basically my question is whether having the job on my application would make a significant difference to my chances of a success? I won't have learnt enough to talk about it in the application so it's just a case of having the job in the work experience section
    Hi!

I think you should definitely go ahead and try and submit some applications for the winter VS, if you have the time. I understand your reasons for wanting to include the job on the job experience section but I think that is only useful if you will be able to extract key skills and experience from the job. Given the short time frame, it is unlikely you will able to talk about it in much detail - if you do get to interview stage, you could simply mention the job during your interview. :) One thing I have been told from many recruiters is that legal work experience is a bonus but definitely not a necessity to getting a VS / training contract - the key is conveying the skills you've obtained / honed from your work experience (whether legal / non - legal) in a strong way. It's all about how you 'sell' yourself and you can sell yourself in a great way through your non-legal work experience.

I hope this helps - wishing you all the best! :)

mkt

Esteemed Member
    Aug 6, 2023
    Does anyone know if you can reapply to NRF? I got to TI in February, but want to apply for their WVS. Their website says if you got to the assessment centre stage, you have to wait 12 months, but app stage, you can reapply whenever...
    If more than 6 months has passed since ti then yes

Aug 28, 2023
    I agree, that test used by NRF, where you have to decipher the emotion of a pixelated computer-generated face to determine your level of personability, is, in my opinion, quite frankly ridiculous.

I think a couple of the Big4 use these particular tests as well, which is probably where is probably where they have spilt over from.
    Wait, I thought it was just a WG for NRF?

Aug 28, 2023
    Can someone please explain the NRF application process for a WVS? On their sight they say it's just a CV and reasons why you want to be there but other forums are saying there is a WG and some people are saying there is a psychometric test. I don't want to do any WGs for WVS so can someone clarify?

NJS

Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    Can someone please explain the NRF application process for a WVS? On their sight they say it's just a CV and reasons why you want to be there but other forums are saying there is a WG and some people are saying there is a psychometric test. I don't want to do any WGs for WVS so can someone clarify?
    They use arctic shores test which are basically those games which prove nothing

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Does anyone recommend a secure answer to why this firm, i know its all different but is mentioning a practice area, or the type of work a good approach?
    What I used to do was:
    • Mention practice areas the firm excels at.
    • Mention any personal interaction I had with the firm (if any but this is not required in the slightest) like open days/ insight days or people I spoke to that were comfortable with me mentioning them in my application
    • Talk about interesting cases the firm has worked on that sparked your interest and always relate them back to you
    • Mention some clients that you would love to work for if you join the firm (I would say this is a tricky one cause many firms work with the same clients, so I would research very nuanced reasons as to why those particular clients interest you specifically)
    • Talk about the training contract structure
    • Mention any international opportunities they may have
    • Talk about their diversity initiatives/ pro bono opportunities if these are some things you care about
    These are some of the things I used to include more or less, I am sure there are many more but I hope these are helpful. I would say that the main thing is try to always relate every reason you are mentioning back to you, your background and your overall profile, as that will make you stand out as a candidate.
    Good luck with the application cycle @NJS

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.