TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I applied to the Macfarlanes Vac Scheme and was asked to do an online assessment. This is the third time I've applied but all previous incidents have resulted in an outright PFO with no request to do an assessment. Has Macfarlanes changed their application process this year from previous years, so all applicants are now required to complete the online test?
Yes they did

kr

Standard Member
Dec 27, 2019
Hi everyone and @axelbeugre I was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to tackle the below question for DLA Piper's application please? I am struggling in exactly what it is asking me for and especially the latter part of the question as it doesn't seem I can tailor it specifically to DLA Piper and I don't want to sound generic. How do I structure it that I answer it well. Any tips would be much appreciated thank you in advance.

If successful in securing a training contract after the Summer Internship, what do you anticipate will be the key challenges of the International Training Programme for you? How would you approach these challenges, and what resources or support do you believe you would need to overcome them? (Max 200 words/1,500 Characters)

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone and @axelbeugre I was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to tackle the below question for DLA Piper's application please? I am struggling in exactly what it is asking me for and especially the latter part of the question as it doesn't seem I can tailor it specifically to DLA Piper and I don't want to sound generic. How do I structure it that I answer it well. Any tips would be much appreciated thank you in advance.

If successful in securing a training contract after the Summer Internship, what do you anticipate will be the key challenges of the International Training Programme for you? How would you approach these challenges, and what resources or support do you believe you would need to overcome them? (Max 200 words/1,500 Characters)
As the question is asking you about DLA’s programme specifically, I think it is important to tailor it to the opportunity with the firm.

The key part is identifying the individual challenges you will experience rather than what generally any trainee would find challenging. The “for you” part is very important and so focus on your development areas.

You then have to highlight the actions you would take to overcome this (not just explaining other people’s responsibilities or actions to help you as this will be more of the resources you would use to support you with how you would overcome the challenges). Try to make sure the resources part is also more specific to the firm where you can.

kr

Standard Member
Dec 27, 2019
As the question is asking you about DLA’s programme specifically, I think it is important to tailor it to the opportunity with the firm.

The key part is identifying the individual challenges you will experience rather than what generally any trainee would find challenging. The “for you” part is very important and so focus on your development areas.

You then have to highlight the actions you would take to overcome this (not just explaining other people’s responsibilities or actions to help you as this will be more of the resources you would use to support you with how you would overcome the challenges). Try to make sure the resources part is also more specific to the firm where you can.
thank you Jessica :)

F12M34L

Legendary Member
  • Apr 28, 2022
    I applied to the Macfarlanes Vac Scheme and was asked to do an online assessment. This is the third time I've applied but all previous incidents have resulted in an outright PFO with no request to do an assessment. Has Macfarlanes changed their application process this year from previous years, so all applicants are now required to complete the online test?
    What is the online assessment? SJT or WGT

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi guys, I am currently applying to Clifford Chance and I was wondering if I could have your opinion on how to approach the question.

"In no more than 500 words, please tell us about your extra-curricular activities, positions of responsibility and an achievement of importance which you are most proud of. How will these experiences help you excel as a Clifford Chance lawyer?"

Do you think I should only explain the skills I developed or I should link them to the firm's practice areas/ activities?
    @Jessica Booker and @axelbeugre would love your feedback too.

Thank you in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys, I am currently applying to Clifford Chance and I was wondering if I could have your opinion on how to approach the question.

"In no more than 500 words, please tell us about your extra-curricular activities, positions of responsibility and an achievement of importance which you are most proud of. How will these experiences help you excel as a Clifford Chance lawyer?"

Do you think I should only explain the skills I developed or I should link them to the firm's practice areas/ activities?
    @Jessica Booker and @axelbeugre would love your feedback too.

Thank you in advance.
    When you say “only” the skills, I don’t think this is sufficient. You will need to focus on explaining your extra curriculars and also the achievement (and why you think it’s your greatest achievement).

Given the world count, I don’t think it is necessary to link these to the firm or the skills you have developed unless this is necessary for the part of your answer as to how those experiences will allow you to excel as a trainee specifically at the firm.

Reactions: axelbeugre and S87

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    When you say “only” the skills, I don’t think this is sufficient. You will need to focus on explaining your extra curriculars and also the achievement (and why you think it’s your greatest achievement).

Given the world count, I don’t think it is necessary to link these to the firm or the skills you have developed unless this is necessary for the part of your answer as to how those experiences will allow you to excel as a trainee specifically at the firm.
    Thank you @Jessica Booker

Flanker01

• Mar 10, 2023
    Congrats. Just to confirm, this was the process that opened like 2-3 weeks ago. That is very fast and very rolling indeed.

How were the first round and two stage second round? Were there many others there too?
    For me it was only one interview, since I was applying for the HK office instead of the UK one.

The interview was definitely not what I expected, since I thought I’d get asked about something technical (legal questions, commercial awareness etc). Throughout the interview the partners were more interested in my personal life studying abroad in the UK, my hobbies and why I didn’t do anything for August (Had a major surgery back in HK, was stuck in a hospital and literally could not speak at all). No technical questions were asked, but they did ask me why I wanted to be a regulatory lawyer, since I wrote that on my cover letter.

I’m not sure how many people were there in the same application stage as I was. I asked the partner who was interviewing me about it, but she said she wasn’t too sure as well.

Overall, really chill experience. I think they were more keen on finding the right people to work with then than anything at the interview stage.

Again, do note that I applied to the HK office, so things may very well differ in the UK stream.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.