TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

ruetorubble

Standard Member
Mar 27, 2022
Just got a WG invite from Hogan as well - is it automatic or have they reviewed our initial form?
Not sure, but I think it might be automatic coz in my previous cycle there was a 3 day difference between WG test and application as well, with a PFO a month later. On the flipside, when I attended the London evening presentation I was told by grad rec that passing the WG test is based on a benchmark rather than percentile.

Reactions: naz02

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker - I would really appreciate your advice for this question on Taylor Wessing's Summer Vac Scheme application: What motivates you for a career in Law at Taylor Wessing and what key skills would you bring? (1,000 characters).

I am unsure whether I should address why law, or just why Taylor Wessing. Also, I am unsure as to what "motivates" really means in this context - what is GR assessing here?

Thank you!
Hey @AntoniaHogan,

What the firm is looking for with this question is to understand your genuine interest in commercial law and in starting your legal career at Taylor Wessing specifically. This means that you should briefly address what pushed you to law in the first place and what attracts you to Taylor Wessing as a firm, this can be a practice area, clients, focus on technology or life sciences, international presence, nature of the work. Whatever you read on the firm that really motivated you to apply can be regarded as something that motivates you.

I applied to the firm last year and I passed the application stage and I followed this structure. I briefly explained why I wanted to do law in the first place, especially because I was a non-law student, and consequently I dived deeper into the reasons why I found the firm very interesting.

The focus of the question is why the firm though, so always have this in mind. You should discuss the motivations behind applying to the firm in depth, that is what they are asking of you. Try to also discuss their training contract and how different it is from others if you find anything you would like to stress.

I hope this helps and good luck with the application process!

Reactions: Jaysen

AlfredH1031

Jan 31, 2023
Not sure, but I think it might be automatic coz in my previous cycle there was a 3 day difference between WG test and application as well, with a PFO a month later. On the flipside, when I attended the London evening presentation I was told by grad rec that passing the WG test is based on a benchmark rather than percentile.
I think they will do some preliminary screening to check your eligibility before sending you the invitation.

Ellewoodz

Aug 27, 2023
Hey @AntoniaHogan,

What the firm is looking for with this question is to understand your genuine interest in commercial law and in starting your legal career at Taylor Wessing specifically. This means that you should briefly address what pushed you to law in the first place and what attracts you to Taylor Wessing as a firm, this can be a practice area, clients, focus on technology or life sciences, international presence, nature of the work. Whatever you read on the firm that really motivated you to apply can be regarded as something that motivates you.

I applied to the firm last year and I passed the application stage and I followed this structure. I briefly explained why I wanted to do law in the first place, especially because I was a non-law student, and consequently I dived deeper into the reasons why I found the firm very interesting.

The focus of the question is why the firm though, so always have this in mind. You should discuss the motivations behind applying to the firm in depth, that is what they are asking of you. Try to also discuss their training contract and how different it is from others if you find anything you would like to stress.

I hope this helps and good luck with the application process!
Thank you! Just a quick further question - should you link your motivations to actual experiences (e.g. work experience in one of the sectors they operate in) or just state what genuinely interests you about the firm?

Reactions: axelbeugre

AlfredH1031

Jan 31, 2023
Quick question for Linklaters - if you get on to the Open Day or like their Black Heritage Open day - it says that you will automatically be fast tracked for an AC for a Vac or TC. Is this actually true??
I applied for both open day and winter vac scheme but it didn't help.

And I want to know, if I am rejected from Linklaters vacation scheme will they still invite me to their open day?

Nicole15

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    Hypothetically speaking, if I fail the benchmark will I immediately receive a notice of rejection?
    no, you don't immediately receive it - sometimes there's a delay in relaying that info but they will definitely inform you if you have been unsuccessful - wishing you the best of the luck with your application! :)

AlfredH1031

Jan 31, 2023
    I have no clue - but I think if you get one to the Open Day they should fast track you
    Is the fast-track arrangement common in the legal industry or just limited to Linklaters only? I have applied for HL vacation scheme and will be attending their open day this week so it would be great if I could fast-track my application.

By the way, has anyone heard from Gibson Dunn yet?

AlfredH1031

Jan 31, 2023
    no, you don't immediately receive it - sometimes there's a delay in relaying that info but they will definitely inform you if you have been unsuccessful - wishing you the best of the luck with your application! :)

I am raising this question not because I think I am failing it, but because this exactly happened to me in my HSF application last year.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.