TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

AK001

Star Member
Oct 12, 2020
Wondering how many marks people get out of Simmons' online test? I got a low percentage for some of the areas but thought the test wasn't super difficult. Would be gutted to have made the effort for 4 vi questions only to find out I failed the benchmark for the test part haha

Massively struggling with the 100 character limit to the question about how I’ve showed improvement since my last application for Taylor Wessing 😩so painful!
It's actually so jarring that we're expected to provide a detailed/personalised answer for each question in 1000 characters or less...

missingh

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2022
Hi! Bit of a panic- my VI seems to be frozen on the example question and no matter how much time has passed there is no button to proceed to the next stage of the interview. I have reloaded the page and even restarted my laptop but it is still stuck on the example question. The email address for the VI software help blocked my message which is just great. I've emailed grad rec but I know they get a lot of emails so I'm not sure if they will see it in time... has anyone else had this problem before?? I'm really keen on this firm and I feel so disheartened that I'm having so many technical issues, I really hope it hasn't saved my attempt like this :(

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
No way Burges Salmon make you do WG at the AC LMAO. we just did one for the first stage as well.
It’s done to verify that you haven’t got someone else to take the test for you (assuming the first time was done remotely). This is pretty common although some firms just tend to sample a group to effectively retake it rather than anyone who comes through to a certain stage.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi! Bit of a panic- my VI seems to be frozen on the example question and no matter how much time has passed there is no button to proceed to the next stage of the interview. I have reloaded the page and even restarted my laptop but it is still stuck on the example question. The email address for the VI software help blocked my message which is just great. I've emailed grad rec but I know they get a lot of emails so I'm not sure if they will see it in time... has anyone else had this problem before?? I'm really keen on this firm and I feel so disheartened that I'm having so many technical issues, I really hope it hasn't saved my attempt like this :(
Technical issues happen.

Try to contact the video software company in the morning - there’s likely to be a contact number as well as an email address.

Alternatively try to complete the video interview on another device, such as a mobile phone.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi,
take a screenshot and send it to the grad rec

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2023
It’s done to verify that you haven’t got someone else to take the test for you (assuming the first time was done remotely). This is pretty common although some firms just tend to sample a group to effectively retake it rather than anyone who comes through to a certain stage.
Will it be just to reach their pass mark? Or will it vary on what my original score was and to compare that to my second score.

Say I get 99% and then get 80% at the AC - that is still a high mark - though a much less score. Could they care about that even tho 80% is still a high score?

Minitomatosalad

Distinguished Member
Sep 14, 2023
Will it be just to reach their pass mark? Or will it vary on what my original score was and to compare that to my second score.

Say I get 99% and then get 80% at the AC - that is still a high mark - though a much less score. Could they care about that even tho 80% is still a high score?
I know from some friends in IB that it’s very common to retake online tests at AC’s. There you can be about +-5 points of what you originally scored and if not you don’t pass the AC. Not sure if it’s the same for law.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

They will cross-reference the results to see if there is any major discrepancy in performance, not just in terms of score but also in terms of the type of questions answered. Recruiters will get a flag to say whether there is a chance the original test was completed by someone else if there are large discrepancies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.