Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
After the post regarding being asked to delete social media posts by a firm you are due to join, I thought I might just explain why/how this could happen. I am not surprised by this - it is something I myself have experienced (albeit a long time ago now).

Most firms (and many other employers/organisations) will have a social media policy as well as policies around generally bringing the organisation's name into disrepute. If someone's social media does this, even if it is in the past and from some time ago, the firm has the right to ask you to delete it. Whether you choose to or not is obviously up to you - but if it breaches a policy, be mindful that your employment contract is likely going to have a term in it that you need to abide by your employer's policies etc.

If you are going to start with the firm or have already associated yourself with the firm (e.g. maybe adding on LinkedIn you are a future vac schemer or trainee), you are connected to the firm and your personal brand is associated with their corporate one. Because of this, you need to be aware of this and think about your digital footprint, no matter how old it is. Take it from someone who has to consider this with each post I put on here because I use my full name.

That makes it sound like you have to be super cautious of everything you put out into a public space, whether it be online or in the real world. Reality is the vast majority of stuff is not going to breach such policies - those that usually do are pretty obvious. However, political views can often be a grey area that is harder to navigate, especially at times like now when political tensions are very high.

I recommend everyone is mindful of this and considers their personal brand, especially when your are clearly identifiable from your content.

SonM

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 13, 2020
Does anyone know if PWC's Arctic Shores test is automatic? I applied on 15 Nov and keep getting email reminders to complete urgent tasks by logging into my account, but when I log in, I don't see anything. I have tried to email them, but they keep repeating the same guidance. Has anyone faced a similar issue? What did you do?

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Hi guys,
    Would like to know your thoughts on this... I attended an AC at a Silver Circle firm two weeks ago and I learned that X candidate (a successful candidate) on the AC was best friends with the assistant grad rec. The grad rec assistant and the senior grad rec were with us the whole time whilst they were taking us to be interviewed individually by partners/associates. I fully understand that personal connections exist so this did not really bother me much at the time, especially as X themselves revealed that they were best friends after the AC.

Anyway, X learned they were successful right after the AC and told me right away. I waited a couple of days, then received the PFO from the assistant grad rec (the friend). I also received very detailed feedback (about 4 pages long) on each interview giving me 'insight into [my] performance' and 'observations of [my] behaviour'. At first, I thought the feedback seemed very odd because it didn't accurately describe how my interviews went (one of them went amazingly well but this was described as completely the opposite). A bit concerned, I asked another candidate what they thought of their feedback, and to our surprise, we learned that we received word-for-word identical feedback (basically copied and pasted the whole document), and this was also sent to them by the assistant grad rec (the friend).
    At this point I was very concerned, so I sent a kind email to grad rec addressing the situation about the identical feedback and asking politely for a more individual assessment of my performance, one that truly reflects my performance for my personal development. It has been nearly 7 days and I have not received a reply.
    Should I just forget about it, or should I try to make sure my concerns are properly addressed?
    thank you for reading and please let me know your thoughts on this.
    I'm not surprised by the identical feedback because this happened to me with HSF post-AC. I was a bit confused by the feedback and I asked someone on the AC their opinion and the feedback they got. Surprisingly, their feedback was the EXACT same, despite the firm's assurance in the email that it was individually tailored to our performances. However, I eventually let it go, especially considering that some firms [ehm, ehm. Slaughters] didn't even provide any feedback after the AC.

I wish I could change this but that's how the world works I guess. And about the connection...I'm speechless.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'm not surprised by the identical feedback because this happened to me with HSF post-AC. I was a bit confused by the feedback and I asked someone on the AC their opinion and the feedback they got. Surprisingly, their feedback was the EXACT same, despite the firm's assurance in the email that it was individually tailored to our performances. However, I eventually let it go, especially considering that some firms [ehm, ehm. Slaughters] didn't even provide any feedback after the AC.

I wish I could change this but that's how the world works I guess. And about the connection...I'm speechless.
    Out of interest was the feedback via a platform like TopScore?

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021

slaughters feedback was so generic when I requested it back 😭 even grad rec was confused giving it

• Haha
    Reactions: Sharon Wu

loyerloz

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Nov 1, 2023
    This is likely a long shot, but is anyone else applying for the BBC graduate solicitor apprentice scheme this year? Do we have to do a Watson Glaser?
    Hey, I’ve applied for this. There are some tests if you get invited to them (I got my invite today, so hopefully you’ll find out soon). It isn’t a Watson Glaser though - at the moment all I’ve been told is that they’re online tests. :)

• 🏆
    Reactions: aishaslm and Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.