TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Ash2323

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2023
Congratulations!! Huge achievement!

I did take the test last year and I honestly would say to have fun with it. I did not prepare anything for it, I just focused on having fun and making sure that I was selecting the answers I was confident in.

One thing that I did was reading on it through the website and watch the little video they have where they explain how it is formatted and things like that , but I genuinely did not prepare and I passed it!

Good luck with it and congratulations again @Ash2323
I need to steal a bit of your confidence haha, but ok this is very reassuring, thank you!

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Does anyone have any advice for the final stage Gibson Dunn interview? Any help would be greatly appreciated 😊
Hey @happyhippo0402 and @Thudson (I have seen you have the interview too so I thought I would include you too)

First of all, Congratulations for getting through the next stage of the process, it is a huge achievement and definitely not an easy one to get so huge congratulations!

In terms of the second stage, I am sure you are aware that it is split into two parts. The first part is a motivations based interview with a partner and a senior associate (at least in my case last year) and the second one with a partner and an associate on an article that they send you some minutes before (with some time to prepare).

When it comes to the first part I would say to treat it exactly as the first stage interview with graduate recruitment. Mine was very lovely, we talked a lot about my CV, my motivations to join the firm, my aspirations, my interests. Funny enough, in my first stage I mentioned that I really admired one of the lawyers (a Partner in ESG and Human Rights Litigation) and she ended up interviewing me! So I also got to talk about why I was interested in her path and she was very flattered! For this part I would just advise to focus on your motivations to join the firm, be able to justify your answers and give valuable examples as to why you are interested in Gibson. I did not get any competency question!

For the second part, they give you an article (it was a very easy article and not properly commercial in nature so do not worry! a very easy topic that everyone could speak about) and you have a discussion with the associate and partner. I found this very interesting and engaging! The associate was trying to contrast all my points and she felt quite detached from the interview in my opinion (however when I got the call, she called me and she actually said that I was very convincing). This is basically to tell you to not panic if they seem quite harsh or they disagree a lot with your points, they want to test you! Always be nice, always acknowledge that they point they are making is very valid and could make you change your mind, and then bring your counterargument.

Good luck with the interview I am sure you will both do great!

• 🤝
Reactions: Jaysen and happyhippo0402

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    Hi everyone, for the question "what skills would you bring to the role?" are these good enough ones to talk about:
    - ability to grasp new concepts and ideas quickly
    - commercial awareness

i just wanted to do something a bit different instead of just saying attention to detail like i always do, but please let me know what you think

Reactions: axelbeugre

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 19, 2023
    Hi everyone, for the question "what skills would you bring to the role?" are these good enough ones to talk about:
    - ability to grasp new concepts and ideas quickly
    - commercial awareness

i just wanted to do something a bit different instead of just saying attention to detail like i always do, but please let me know what you think
    Look at the firms values.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.