Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker and @axelbeugre

When an app asks for a recent commercial news, how far back can we go? I have a really interesting news story that was published in August, but I'm unsure if this would count as recent considering it's about 3-4months old.
Ideally anything in the last six months, but sometimes things can be 12-18 months old (as it might be things that only happen once a year, or not very frequently) and that is okay too.

Reactions: axelbeugre

Zaakir

Valued Member
May 9, 2023
Currently completing the Covington Vac Scheme App. How would people go about answering this question:

Name a historical figure that you admire and outline why.

Do you reckon the person has to be famous or can I mention a late family member? Really unsure what they are looking for from this question! Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
I’d say they just want to get to know you, and how you write. I think the fam example is fine. Perfectly fine to also align with your interests imo- if you’re into football, could be Pele. If you’re into boxing, Ali. Doesn’t matter who it is- what matters is a) you’ve outlined why you admire them and b) your answer is easy to follow

Reactions: stacy2523

Cecylia03

Nov 6, 2023
Might be overthinking this but on the cover letter for Slaughter and May, can I later on abbreviate the firm's name to S&M? I will have indicated the abbreviation the first time I use the full name but I was just thinking about the fact that they do not use the ampersand on purpose, so they might not want you to use it in an abbreviation either?

Reactions: axelbeugre

Percypig12

Valued Member
Oct 19, 2021
Might be overthinking this but on the cover letter for Slaughter and May, can I later on abbreviate the firm's name to S&M? I will have indicated the abbreviation the first time I use the full name but I was just thinking about the fact that they do not use the ampersand on purpose, so they might not want you to use it in an abbreviation either?
Yep don't use the ampersand at all

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.