Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Might be overthinking this but on the cover letter for Slaughter and May, can I later on abbreviate the firm's name to S&M? I will have indicated the abbreviation the first time I use the full name but I was just thinking about the fact that they do not use the ampersand on purpose, so they might not want you to use it in an abbreviation either?
No - it’s one of the few firms where it is strongly advise to never shorten it.

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Gowling post arctic shores - PFO

I am so intrigued by what it takes to actually pass these tests.
    Yeah.. decided not to apply anymore to firms that have similar game-based tests. What frustrates me the most is not passing the test despite investing so much time in writing the application🙈

NW Law

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    Currently completing the Covington Vac Scheme App. How would people go about answering this question:

Name a historical figure that you admire and outline why.

Do you reckon the person has to be famous or can I mention a late family member? Really unsure what they are looking for from this question! Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
    I can't speak for anyone else, but from my own experience (which was successful) - my gut instinct was they wanted someone quite well-known. My approach was I ended up picking someone quite well-known and broke down my answer to highlighting three things I admired about them. So my order was 1) perseverance, 2) importance of making and learning from mistakes, and 3) work ethic and persuasion. I do think there needs to be that personal element - so it is great to say a historical figure you admire and detail some reasons why they're admirable. But ultimately, the firm, imo, is looking for a clear reasoning for the person you select, and then why that person is important to you. Only thing I would probably recommend is to avoid anyone who might be considered too controversial (I tended to avoid politicians). I suppose another way of thinking about the question is asking who your role model in history is and why is it them specifically. Good luck with the app!

Reactions: axelbeugre

jplaw1010

Legendary Member
    Apr 11, 2023
    Yeah.. decided not to apply anymore to firms that have similar game-based tests. What frustrates me the most is not passing the test despite investing so much time in writing the application🙈
    Hopefully Gowling’s grad rec sees all of this and makes a change - missing out on some very good applicants who are deterred from applying due to this test

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 14, 2023
    I got an email confirming I passed the benchmark, did the test yesterday
    Hi I got this today, does it mean I pass the bench mark or everyone had that? Thanks!
    “Thank you for your application to London 2024 Spring Vacation Scheme.

Your application is currently under review and we will be in touch after the deadline to advise on the outcome of your application.

If you no longer wish to be considered for this position, please email [email protected] to advise us. “

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 14, 2023
    Yay! Same, just got the email as well!
    Hi I got this today, does it mean I pass the bench mark or everyone had that? Thanks!

Your application is currently under review and we will be in touch after the deadline to advise on the outcome of your application.

If you no longer wish to be considered for this position, please email [email protected] to advise us. “

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 14, 2023
    HSF benchmark✅

addy2004

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 28, 2023

they will send an email soon to say whether you passed or not

ikeRoss

Star Member
    Sep 1, 2023

You passed - congrats!

Reactions: 191919191

Hani156

Standard Member
    Nov 30, 2023
    Absoluteley gutted - first ever application to a law firm (DLA) and reached the VI stage. As I started to record my first response, some technical error resulted in the screen freezing. When I tried logging back, first question had been saved and I was asked to respond to second question. I ended the interview and emailed recruitmemt but no response at all and only one day till deadline passes. So gutted. Has anyone faced a similar issue or have any advice?

Last edited:

pb15

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 23, 2021

I think that’s just confirmation that they’ve received your test.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi @Jessica Booker and @axelbeugre

When an app asks for a recent commercial news, how far back can we go? I have a really interesting news story that was published in August, but I'm unsure if this would count as recent considering it's about 3-4months old.
    I think August is fine in my opinion. When I was applying I got an advice from someone that told me that 4 months back is good, 12 months is a no, so I would say the same to you too.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Currently completing the Covington Vac Scheme App. How would people go about answering this question:

Name a historical figure that you admire and outline why.

Do you reckon the person has to be famous or can I mention a late family member? Really unsure what they are looking for from this question! Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
    I think that by historical figure they mean someone famous who was very well known in the past. I know someone talked about Mandela and they got the training contract so figures of that calibre I am assuming. I would not say that they are asking to talk about a family member. I hope this helps!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.