TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2020
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣I think that’s what happened to me lol
graduate from a universty, write a paragraph about finance modalities in your cover letter, explain all the skills you've gained with the extracurricular, work experience and competitions but i popped too many balloons and not fit to become a lawyer hahahah 😭

EllaClayton

Valued Member
Jan 23, 2023
anyone heard from:

- CMS (applied last Saturday)
- Bird & Bird (applied last last week)
- Gibson Dunn (applied Monday)
- Taylor Wessing (applied last Friday)
- Hogan Lovells TC (applied last July lol)

I know I've only applied for the above recently (save for HL lol) but very set on if they like they will get back to you quickly
I applied to TW last Thursday and not heard anything either so I wouldn’t worry, grad rec had said on a call they will normally have a big influx in the last few days so it may take longer than usual to be informed about a test if you apply close to the deadline

Reactions: Sharon Wu and AB

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    I am going to email Hogan Lovells - hopefully they respond because do you want me yes or no, pls reject me if no. I applied on deadline day so don't know if maybe I was too late but they've rejected others so idk
    I literally applied a few hours before the deadline im rlly hoping it wasnt too late

• 🤝
    Reactions: AB

ikeRoss

Star Member
    Sep 1, 2023
    When inputting work experience in applications, do you do a new section for each role - for example, if I worked at the same company but changed role and department would I put a new entry with the dates for that role?

Any advice much appreciated

Wannabe_Lawyer

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 22, 2018
    any tips for passing arctic shores? I am struggling to accept the fact that I wouldn't get the vac scheme when my application was decent because I popped too many balloons.
    Honestly, in my (very biased, having been recently pfo-ed) opinion, it feels like an elaborate lottery system. There are some videos on YouTube, but, they're geared towards people in consulting and the big4. The criteria your firm is looking for may be completely different. Also, with Gowling's assessment report, we were told that the scores aren't factored. It's literally how you respond to the stimuli.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker or does anyoene else know if the application system asks you to list your "qualifications" for your degree (asks for its qualification name, type, result and date obtained), does "qualification" mean each subject, i.e. Tort, Constitutional etc, or the degree, i.e. LLB?
    No - it will just mean the overall qualification (A-level, degree, masters).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    this is for Latham's sjt :' 'To access the assessment, please log back into the apply4law homepage. The deadline for completing the assessment is three days after the application form deadline (London), or three days after submission for non-London vacancies. If you require any adjustments to be made ahead of you taking this assessment, please contact the office you have applied to.'

does this mean then the deadline to complete the test is 13th since the deadline is 10th? I was a bit confused idk if im being daft @Jessica Booker
    If the deadline for the London is the 10th, then your deadline will be the 13th.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    When inputting work experience in applications, do you do a new section for each role - for example, if I worked at the same company but changed role and department would I put a new entry with the dates for that role?

Any advice much appreciated
    You can do this, although some people prefer to combine roles into one entry depending on how it fits with their other entries. However if you do add it as one entry, you’d need to make it clear in the description that your job changed part way through by rpcoiding that detail and dates. It is risky if it reads like you are in one job for the entire time (especially if that job is more senior) as a reference from your employer would not match up.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.