TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
RIP my latham application
Yep 😭😭 I found the SJT difficult in itself (one of those ones where every option appears reasonable) and the VI question wasn't terrible but 3 minutes just feels so long. As a caveat, how bad is it in VIs to make mistakes? I got myself mixed up in my first sentence and just offset the whole pace of the question. Ah well, what's done is done, onto the next!

Reactions: atlas2425

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Just got my Latham feedback report

Strengths: 1) detail oriented 2) Judgement
Development: 1) Personal responsibility

does anyone have anything different to this?
How long did it take you to receive the report?

And as a side note, how much are the reports worth reading into? I had a Linklaters one where it seems my 1 weakness was a key competency; should I basically be expecting that inevitable PFO?

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022

And as a side note, how much are the reports worth reading into? I had a Linklaters one where it seems my 1 weakness was a key competency; should I basically be expecting that inevitable PFO?
Linklaters puts more emphasis on Capp Test than WG. I wouldn’t say it’s a PFO, past candidates have progressed despite having a weakness they thought was inherently bad to have, but they are definitely looking for a set of skills.

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023

24 hours exactly to get report (to junk mail)

no clue how much it’s weighed my links Capp wasn’t awful but my WGT was terrible.

don’t assume a PFO if they haven’t given you one! You’re still in the running :)

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    I’d advise sharing your SJT results, it holds little to no weighting on the overall of your app. It’s just there for them to gauge your personality. Although the application itself and the VI - I would say is what they’re looking at more.
    How much weight does the VI question hold do people reckon? If you had a strong application and a weak VI, do you reckon that will massively count against you? Or as it’s only the one question, there will be less weight on it?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.