TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

missingh

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2022
Hi does anyone have any insight on the TW test? Is it critical thinking? I can see it's no longer arctic shores (yay!) so just wondering if anyone had any insight into the style of test. thank you! :)

Ash2323

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2023
Hi everyone, for Gibson's application there is a word limit of 250 words for each job section... anyone know how strict they are on this say if we wrote 200 words? As some experiences i would stuggle to fill this limit without waffling on

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Sorry Jessica didn't understand this. How and why is QWE not needed (if one wants to qualify in UK) if one does JD from the US ?
You will need to have passed the NY bar too (or other state bar exams). If you are a qualified lawyer in another jurisdiction you do not need to accumulate the two years of qualifying work experience. I don’t agree with it, but those are the rules!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I'm so happy to say that I've received a TC offer from A&O! Thank you so much for your support on this platform :)
Amazing news - congratulations!

Austin Butler Applause GIF by BAFTA

• Love
Reactions: Ellewoodz

futuretrainee2024

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    Just an fyi for anyone looking to apply to BCLP, I went to their open day recently and according to current trainees the firm has gone downhill massively in the last few years. Profits per partner down significantly and only 2 NQ jobs offered for over 25 trainees… now I know why they’re not transparent about their retention rates.
    Why does the firm invest so heavily in 25 trainees, if their intention is to keep 2? Surely it makes sense to have a smaller intake then. Any thoughts?

Reactions: jplaw1010

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Why does the firm invest so heavily in 25 trainees, if their intention is to keep 2? Surely it makes sense to have a smaller intake then. Any thoughts?
    Things can change in five years. The people qualifying in 2023 were most likely recruited in 2018/2019. Considering the firm merged in 2018, they may have been optimistic about the firm’s future and growth. If that hasn’t transpired (wouldn’t be overly surprising giving Covid hit shortly afterwards) or the growth has been outside of the U.K., it could be the case that the need for NQs has changed considerably in that period of time. Also NQ rates can be influenced by positive factors (eg low attrition rate), so it might not always be a bad reasons why it is low (although 2 out of 25 is exceptionally low - I have never heard of a less than 10% retention rate, although it might just be that firms have kept quiet if they have had that).

I strongly suspect their more recent intakes are smaller.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.