TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Hana (aaah I want a TC)

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 7, 2023
    Question for those who got to interact with Shoosmiths: how do they feel about people with an accent? It might be an odd question, but they are asking if English is your first language, and every video I have watched from them did not include anyone who sounds 'international'. I know that they are a national law firm, but still...

icebear

Star Member
    Nov 10, 2023
    I have a DLA AC on 2nd Feb and apparently that's their last one (only for London I presume). Since people who've done the prior ACs have already received offers, does being in the last batch put me at a disadvantage since there will be fewer spaces and more competition?

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    How can I answer this:

"Please provide details of any additional posts of responsibility that have not been caputured in your Work Experience information (e.g. at school, university, or elsewhere) and your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests" @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre

even though I have gone into detail in the work experience section and have included all volunteering roles too. (I was also slightly confused that the spelling mistake was not double checked?) :)
    Did you also include your extra-curricular activities in the work experience section? If not, it would be worth going into detail about them here in my opinion. I use to include only actual internships in my work experience section so I had still extra-curricular experiences to talk about so I would suggest that if you have a lot of professional experiences, I would not include your volunteering and extra-curricular activities such as sports etc. in the work experience section. This allows you to speak about those in these sort of questions or in questions that ask for additional information about you.

Reactions: Sunshinepink

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Question for those who got to interact with Shoosmiths: how do they feel about people with an accent? It might be an odd question, but they are asking if English is your first language, and every video I have watched from them did not include anyone who sounds 'international'. I know that they are a national law firm, but still...
    Their website states they have only recently got the ability to sponsor work permits, and so it could easily be that they don’t have a lot of international staff, as anyone they would have hired up to recently would have needed the right to work in the U.K.

elektrajenkov

Star Member
    Dec 20, 2023
    I will also add I've interacted a lot with the firm and everyone has been very friendly and diverse in other ways (non RG uni's, etc.). I've also noticed a lot of more trainees than usual with strong regional accents and while it's not necessarily the same, I think it shows they're not targeting any stereotype for a lawyer! I assume they would ask more for informational purposes about your native language, especially because it's impressive submitting an application like this in your non-native language!

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    If you separate interviews at an assessment centre, would it be fine to reuse questions to ask at the end to interviewers? I don't know if they'd discuss with their fellow interviewers what they were asked and therefore make my questions seem disingenuous or pre-planned.

Would you have any input please @Jessica Booker?

Reactions: axelbeugre

clo224455

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 2, 2023
    I have a DLA AC on 2nd Feb and apparently that's their last one (only for London I presume). Since people who've done the prior ACs have already received offers, does being in the last batch put me at a disadvantage since there will be fewer spaces and more competition?
    Congrats on the AC!, if you don't mind me asking when did you hear back after your VI? I got an email letting me know I passed the benchmark but haven't heard back since.

Last edited:

Bee20

Standard Member
    Nov 27, 2020
    Hi All! Does anyone know if the Bristows video Interview has unlimited prep time before you start the recording? Or is it only unlimited practice questions?

Any help at all would be really really appreciated!

aniraz

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 14, 2022
    Hi All! Does anyone know if the Bristows video Interview has unlimited prep time before you start the recording? Or is it only unlimited practice questions?

Any help at all would be really really appreciated!
    For direct TC it's not unlimited prep time. You get 20 seconds to think and 1 minute to answer.

Reactions: Bee20

thenublawyer

Star Member
    Nov 18, 2023
    Do firms usually provide extra financial support for accom when doing a vac scheme? Especially those that are 2+ weeks, it quickly adds up!!
    Yea I would love to know the answer to this too... Some firms explicitly state that you can email them for additional support, while others omit that part, so I'm unsure as to whether I should email them to ask :/

Reactions: academicweapon121

Seven

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 15, 2022
    Yea I would love to know the answer to this too... Some firms explicitly state that you can email them for additional support, while others omit that part, so I'm unsure as to whether I should email them to ask :/
    Yeah you're right in that regard - it's firm-dependent so its worth just asking grad rec and they'll be able to see what they can do about it. Usually they're very accommodating but for smaller firms its not really standard.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.