Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Why do they look? :)
Because it’s a professional profile you put in the public domain that’s often in an easier format to read the a firm’s application. Needless to say many don’t view your LinkedIn profile, plus some candidates don’t have a profile, some candidates are difficult to find (if you have a very popular name), so it really isn’t that important.

Reactions: Sunshinepink

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    Because it’s a professional profile you put in the public domain that’s often in an easier format to read the a firm’s application. Needless to say many don’t view your LinkedIn profile, plus some candidates don’t have a profile, some candidates are difficult to find (if you have a very popular name), so it really isn’t that important.
    Ahhh okay, I understand. Thank you for explaining :)

How could I please answer 'What are your hobbies and interests?' and 'Please give brief details of your non-academic activities and interests including positions of responsibility.'? I feel as though they are quite similar and what I had intended to put in one is also what I find repeating for the other. Do you have any tips? :) @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker

Reactions: axelbeugre

Seven

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 15, 2022
    there are people who are doing ACs this upcoming week for the spring but they are also starting summer ACs so it depends; there might still be another batch of ACs coming
    I presume there is definitely upcoming ACs for spring. They haven’t sent any ACs out for regular spring applicants with the exception of open day / first year scheme participants.

They did say they would get back to us by the end of the month. Hoping next week they do!

0800KP

Dec 20, 2023
    just finished my fieldfisher test ahhh. it was actually really fun.... my top traits were resilience and self-awareness and my lowest was client centricity. dont know if im gonna get thru to telephone interviews tho with that lol.

AB

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 23, 2020
    Hey @AB,

Congratulations on obtaining an interview!

Some tips I can give you:
    • The interview is divided into a motivation part and a case study part. The motivation part assesses your motivation to join the firm whilst the case study part is an oral case study where you are presented with a brief scenario and the partners ask you some questions about it.
    • Prepare your motivation questions such as why law, why commercial law specifically and why Goodwin as these can come up. My interview was based on motivation for the most part.
    • Talk to people who did the interview and ask about their experiences. That helped me so much in understanding what I was about to face and it made me feel less nervous during the actual interview.
    • Familiarise yourself with contract law, especially if you are not a law student. Someone I contacted before my interview recommended reading about contract law and their advice was very helpful. I definitely did not remember anything I read but it was nice to mention indemnities and warranties and knowing what they were. Other than that, the interview was not as technical for me.
    • Be yourself in the interview. I personally was myself and I thoroughly enjoyed my interview with the partners so be yourself and answer their questions.
    I hope these helps and good luck with the interview!
    Thank you so so so so so much !!!!!!!!

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    Hey @AB,

Congratulations on obtaining an interview!

Some tips I can give you:
    • The interview is divided into a motivation part and a case study part. The motivation part assesses your motivation to join the firm whilst the case study part is an oral case study where you are presented with a brief scenario and the partners ask you some questions about it.
    • Prepare your motivation questions such as why law, why commercial law specifically and why Goodwin as these can come up. My interview was based on motivation for the most part.
    • Talk to people who did the interview and ask about their experiences. That helped me so much in understanding what I was about to face and it made me feel less nervous during the actual interview.
    • Familiarise yourself with contract law, especially if you are not a law student. Someone I contacted before my interview recommended reading about contract law and their advice was very helpful. I definitely did not remember anything I read but it was nice to mention indemnities and warranties and knowing what they were. Other than that, the interview was not as technical for me.
    • Be yourself in the interview. I personally was myself and I thoroughly enjoyed my interview with the partners so be yourself and answer their questions.
    I hope these helps and good luck with the interview!
    Hi Axel :) As a general point, what resources did you find particularly helpful for refreshing contract law? I’ve read Jake Schogger’s handbook which has been particularly good, but if you had anything else it would be appreciated!

dms21

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 6, 2023
    I know it's kind of late into the application cycle to ask this question, but I've been wondering how everyone has been writing their work experience description. Do you do it in bullet points or paragraphs? In all the firm events I have attended, they've said to choose whichever you're most comfortable with. Personally, I prefer to use bullet points, as it makes it easier to follow what I've done. However, I find that when reviewing my application before submitting it, it kind of looks messy due to the formatting. Just wondering what everyone else is doing.

yasmars

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2021
    I know it's kind of late into the application cycle to ask this question, but I've been wondering how everyone has been writing their work experience description. Do you do it in bullet points or paragraphs? In all the firm events I have attended, they've said to choose whichever you're most comfortable with. Personally, I prefer to use bullet points, as it makes it easier to follow what I've done. However, I find that when reviewing my application before submitting it, it kind of looks messy due to the formatting. Just wondering what everyone else is doing.
    I prefer full sentences

Reactions: lonelycruise and AB

aspiringcatsolicitor

Jun 19, 2023

I prefer paragraphs too!

Reactions: AB

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.