Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre ahead of my assessment centre tomorrow I just wanted to know some ways to build a rapport with the interviewers. The interview will be conducted online with one associate and one member of Grad recruitment and I’m just worried how I can build that rapport in an online setting. Any tips and suggestions?
Make sure you look at the camera rather than the scream as this will give the illusion of eye contact.

Ensure that you smile too!

Listen attentively when their introduce themselves. It may be that they say something that is interesting to you that can then inform what type of questions you ask later on in the interview

Don’t be afraid to be conversational outside of the interviews - small comments like thanking them for their time can be small but nice touches

If they offer you to ask at the end, make sure you have questions to ask them that helps you find out more about the firm or the opportunity you are applying to.

Hannah02

Feb 25, 2024
Hey everyone! This is my first time posting here as I'm in a situation I'm quite upset about and would like some advice.

About a week ago, I had an assessment centre at a firm I was very keen on (I won't disclose which as I'm not sure I feel comfortable doing that). I feel the day generally went well and although the case study was quite difficult, I didn't think I performed *too* badly. There were 5 other people here on the day and everyone was really friendly, so didn't think anything was off and we all added each other on LinkedIn when there was a break period in the day after another candidate suggested we do so.

However, when the day was over, one of the other candidates hugged the Grad Rec member and said "it was great to see you Kathy, hopefully see you again in the next few weeks". When someone asked what she meant by this, she said she was a long-term family friend. This immediately seemed unfair to me; I don't know how strong her application was and she may have deservedly been there on her own merit, but it just made me feel uncomfortable. She said she hadn't performed too strongly throughout the day too, which I feel is worth bearing in mind.

Earlier this week, I was rejected from the firm. I'm obviously disappointed but it's just one of those things. Nevertheless, when scrolling through LinkedIn, I saw the other girl post that she had successfully landed a VS at the firm. I instantly felt like the whole process was completely unfair and she had gained a place because she had internal contacts. If I'm honest, this upset me just as much as the rejection itself knowing I was up against what I feel was a nepotistic candidate.

Part of me wants to write to the firm and say how I feel this is unjustified, but I know that won't achieve anything. I'm female, state educated and have attended a non-RG university, so I already feel I've had to work harder than many other applicants just to be in this position. It feels like a slap in the face. Am I right to be annoyed or is this just commonplace in the City and something you just have to suck up?

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Hey everyone! This is my first time posting here as I'm in a situation I'm quite upset about and would like some advice.

About a week ago, I had an assessment centre at a firm I was very keen on (I won't disclose which as I'm not sure I feel comfortable doing that). I feel the day generally went well and although the case study was quite difficult, I didn't think I performed *too* badly. There were 5 other people here on the day and everyone was really friendly, so didn't think anything was off and we all added each other on LinkedIn when there was a break period in the day after another candidate suggested we do so.

However, when the day was over, one of the other candidates hugged the Grad Rec member and said "it was great to see you Kathy, hopefully see you again in the next few weeks". When someone asked what she meant by this, she said she was a long-term family friend. This immediately seemed unfair to me; I don't know how strong her application was and she may have deservedly been there on her own merit, but it just made me feel uncomfortable. She said she hadn't performed too strongly throughout the day too, which I feel is worth bearing in mind.

Earlier this week, I was rejected from the firm. I'm obviously disappointed but it's just one of those things. Nevertheless, when scrolling through LinkedIn, I saw the other girl post that she had successfully landed a VS at the firm. I instantly felt like the whole process was completely unfair and she had gained a place because she had internal contacts. If I'm honest, this upset me just as much as the rejection itself knowing I was up against what I feel was a nepotistic candidate.

Part of me wants to write to the firm and say how I feel this is unjustified, but I know that won't achieve anything. I'm female, state educated and have attended a non-RG university, so I already feel I've had to work harder than many other applicants just to be in this position. It feels like a slap in the face. Am I right to be annoyed or is this just commonplace in the City and something you just have to suck up?
    I tick every box you’ve just mentioned so I know how hard you worked to get to that stage and how awful it is not getting that offer when you performed to a decent level for it!

This is my advice and it’s probably not the best….

Realistically you can’t change the outcome and if she got that VS off of nepotism it probably won’t help her in the TC interview at the end of the VS as it’ll be the partner who decides not grad rec? As mean as it is, it’ll be sweeter watching her not get the TC at the last stage 😅

Focus on your other applications and use this AC experience as leverage for other upcoming ones as you will get more in the future as you’ve shown you have the ability despite your background. Good luck :)

karennnnnnnnn

Standard Member
    Jan 10, 2023

I would say I’ve seen these nepo connections irl, at a scheme a student was bragging about her uncle who was the head of tax at another big city law firm and how she had scored work experience with him through an technical loophole of some sorts. I would say don’t take it too seriously, it’s more of a slap of the face to them that we have been able to get to a similar stage to them without the same help they have gotten. I think it’s funny once you look at it from that perspective, and a law firm who has not seen your potential and would rather choose a nepo baby over you is not the right law firm for you. Arrogance within these nepo kids in law firms is truly a common thing. But I think the struggles that the rest of us have to go through makes it all worth it in the end knowing we have truly earned our place there. So keep your head high and solider on would be my advice! Good luck!! 😊

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre ahead of my assessment centre tomorrow I just wanted to know some ways to build a rapport with the interviewers. The interview will be conducted online with one associate and one member of Grad recruitment and I’m just worried how I can build that rapport in an online setting. Any tips and suggestions?
    I personally think that smiling a lot and being very personable throughout the interview will allow you to build a rapport with the interviewer.

I had all my interviews online last year and making myself and the interviewers comfortable in speaking to me through smiling and laughing at their joke (if they made some) was key to build a nice conversation. Unfortunately it will also depend on the firm and the interviewers and how friendly they present themselves, but I would say overall that presenting yourself as a very smiley person goes a long way.

Reactions: Jaysen and Amehta1

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi guys,

I have a couple of questions, would love @Jessica Booker and @axelbeugre opinions but forum please feel free to chime in.

1)How would you relate the firm's growth to you as an aspiring solicitor? Would it be enough to relate it to practice areas' growth, the opportunity to experience more workload in terms of cases/deals and therefore increase your commercial acumen?

2) I am particularly fascinated by Finance infrastructure for a couple of reasons. First, it is someone related to what I do but I deal more with setting up the infrastructure but not finance. Secondly, there are a lot of macro and micro economic factors which make the practice area widely interesting. However, I do not have experience in this particular area. How do I talk about it, how do I express my desire to learn more?
    1) I think it is enough to mention the factors that you stated, I certainly used these to explain why I was interested in a certain firm in my interviews last year. Talking about the growth of the practice areas works, additionally I would talk about being exposed to working with new and exciting clients, inspiring lawyers which will increase throughout the growth trajectory of the firm, and having a more important role incases and deals the firm work on.

2) You can talk about it by relating to the reasons you just mentioned. You can link it back to your experience in infrastructure and the ins and outs of the financing of these projects and how these financial processes are what spark your interest in the sector. From here you can talk about cases you have read and that the firm has worked on which caught your attention and why. You also mentioned the macro and micro economic factors, I would explain those in detail and explain why they are interesting to you specifically, this is something that only you can know. I would not worry about not having experience, so many people do not. I certainly did not have any experience in financing emerging venture capital projects but that is what I was interested in when applying and I focused on my previous professional and personal experiences, as well as what I read about the firm, its work and the sector itself to emphasise why I personally was interested in the sector.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    1) I think it is enough to mention the factors that you stated, I certainly used these to explain why I was interested in a certain firm in my interviews last year. Talking about the growth of the practice areas works, additionally I would talk about being exposed to working with new and exciting clients, inspiring lawyers which will increase throughout the growth trajectory of the firm, and having a more important role incases and deals the firm work on.

2) You can talk about it by relating to the reasons you just mentioned. You can link it back to your experience in infrastructure and the ins and outs of the financing of these projects and how these financial processes are what spark your interest in the sector. From here you can talk about cases you have read and that the firm has worked on which caught your attention and why. You also mentioned the macro and micro economic factors, I would explain those in detail and explain why they are interesting to you specifically, this is something that only you can know. I would not worry about not having experience, so many people do not. I certainly did not have any experience in financing emerging venture capital projects but that is what I was interested in when applying and I focused on my previous professional and personal experiences, as well as what I read about the firm, its work and the sector itself to emphasise why I personally was interested in the sector.
    Thank you so much @axelbeugre

Reactions: axelbeugre

Ash2323

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2023
    Hi @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre, would like some advise on a CV blind interview at an AC. If i am asked to introduce myself, should i say which uni(s) I studied at when saying my background? The email about the cv blind interview says the following: "The interviewers will receive a copy of your application form, however this will be limited to the questions and answers under the following sections work experience, activities and your application question answers. Where organisations are specified in your application regarding work experience, these will be generalised for your interviewer e.g. 'law firm' or 'professional services firm'. In addition, reference to educational institutions will be removed, including specific mention of your university or school within application answers." Just wondering how i should conduct myself when explaining about myself if asked?

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.