Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If I apply for vacation schemes again next cycle and do not do anything in between, will that lower my chances?
When you say "not do anything" I think this would lower your chances - you would need to be seen to be doing something, whether this is work, study, training or even something like travelling. They will want to see you are actively looking to improve yourself, and so if there was "nothing" in the most recent months, that could be of some concern to how actively you are seeking to improve your candidacy.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey guys, when in an interview where you have been given the names of the interviewers is it okay to mention that you have had a similar experience to one of the interviewers (non-law related.) One of the panellists at the organisation volunteered at the same place I did when they were a student (found out by LinkedIn lurking), is it okay to make a passing comment like "I volunteered at the same place you did when you were a student Bob, the skills I have developed doing xyz..."

Would this be a good idea or be seen as too forward 😂
I would mention you had looked at their LinkedIn profile before saying this but its not a problem to do so - I have had similar things pop up in interviews from time to time.

Reactions: Chelsea1

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Out of interest, why do some firms send out successful/ unsuccessful correspondence in one batch and then take longer ie a day or more to send out the opposite outcome to the other candidates? Not sure if I made any sense! I’m not so much meaning after the final stage as I understand reasons for why that could be. Do you @Jessica Booker by any chance have any insight of why this is? thank you!!
Whole host of reasons why this could be the case - I really wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: Lawyer500

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey guys, hope to get some advice. I got an AC for a VS but as I am based outside the UK, I have to fly to the UK and it is very costly. I do not think the firm offers virtual AC due to the format of the AC. I have already accepted the AC invite in-person a while back as I was very eager for the AC. Should I ask if I could do the AC virtually even though I doubt this is an option, and would requesting this now put the firm off? Is it advisable that I fly to the UK for the AC? Thanks.
Speak to the firm first - they may be able to offer a virtual AC. It won't put the firm off (although they maybe slightly disappointed you didn't raise this before booking in), but it could be a fairly easy solution where they offer it to you.

If they don't offer it to you, you can ask how much they can reimburse in travel expenses and then make a decision from there as to whether to attend.

tcplease2345

Valued Member
Feb 6, 2024
That sucks. The application cycle is brutal. But getting to VI is incredibly impressive. I got a rejection today as well.

I'd say shoot it then. I can't say with certainty that your app wouldn't go through. As I said, everything else matters like your materials - Work Experience, Motivation, Competency answers. As TCLA has shown the most unlikely get incredibly far! There is no perfect applicant.

I think that if you're applying though it should be clear why the firm and why you. You can apply, but to get far you should be incredibly motivated to work for them and not just because they have vacancies. You should want to work there/get experience there above all. I think that's why I asked the question. Not because I think you're making a bad decision based on your grade profile. I just think you should, really, REALLY wanna work there.
Thank you! it is indeed brutal.

I think it is only a matter of time if not this cycle then next cycle but the thing is to never give up.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Group exercises typically form a part of the assessment at a law firm assessment centre. How common is it for lawyers at a law firm to work together as a group under timed conditions all sat together at a table and for someone to time-keep?
When your time is recorded, this is pretty much every meeting a lawyer goes into....

tcplease2345

Valued Member
Feb 6, 2024
When you say "not do anything" I think this would lower your chances - you would need to be seen to be doing something, whether this is work, study, training or even something like travelling. They will want to see you are actively looking to improve yourself, and so if there was "nothing" in the most recent months, that could be of some concern to how actively you are seeking to improve your candidacy.
It could be a non-law job as well?

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
You could chase one last time to see if it was just missed, but sometimes recruitment can be like this unfortunately, especially when they are individual roles rather than programmes.
Thank you, Jessica! Coincidentally, I did hear back from them (for the first time!) after making my post and got rejected. Perhaps the trick is to post about all the ghosting experiences on TCLA 🤣🤣

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it normal/acceptable to ask a law firm you're doing a vac scheme at to allow you to attend an interview for another firm whilst you're there (if you have no other choice scheduling wise)? for example by extending your break or coming in a little later?

@Jessica Booker
You can ask - but the firm can say no, especially if the timing of the interview is going to clash with their own assessments.

Your better bet is to ask the interviewing firm whether they can provide an alternative date where you are attending a vacation scheme.

If they cannot offer an alternative interview date, then speak to the GR team and see what they say, but be prepared that you may have to turn the interview down.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
anyone know common reasons why people aren't able to convert their VS into TCs? I have a VS and I'm scared to death I won't get the TC after
  • Lack of motivation (just have seemed less engaged/interested in the work)
  • Lack of the right skills - whether its drafting, time management, analytical thinking, commercial awareness
  • Seem better suited to other firms
  • Have a particular interest in certain areas of work that the firm can't provide a lot of opportunities in

• ℹ️
Reactions: Sharon Wu

addy2004

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 28, 2023
    Firstly, sorry for this very soppy post, I was in a bad place xoxo Glad to say I have recovered from the rejection lol.

Anyway, I'm now thinking forwards to the next cycle, and wondered if anyone has any advice on the following: basically, I'm gonna be starting my 3rd year studying Law in September, whilst completing another brutal application cycle. Also, my main role of responsibility that I use in my applications involves a lot of responsibility and work. Whilst balancing these 3 things this year, I saw a decrease in my marks following my January exams, and did not secure a VS or TC. So, clearly I need to change my schedule.

I now need to consider whether I re-run in that role of responsibility for next year - I do many interesting projects in this role which is good for applications. However, I also want to graduate with both a decent job (and if I can, a TC!). In my head, I can either study and continue my role of responsibility, or study and do an applications, but not both to do well. I'm also cautious law firms will notice if I stop my role of responsibility and do not do anything in its place.

What would you do if you were me? I'm open to any suggestions! Thank you
    Thank you for all the helpful messages I'm receiving on the grades v extra-curriculars debate.

@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker I'm interested please to hear your thoughts on this too please? Would I be disadvantaged if I talk about my role of responsibility as something I completed in the past?

Reactions: axelbeugre

therealslimshady

Star Member
    Feb 27, 2024
    Competency style questions are common in law firm interviews. What is the purpose behind them?

In a real life problem, I tend to tackle a problem based on the facts presented to me rather than think back to a time in the past I have faced a similar situation. I am sure that most lawyers will do the same in practice. In my opinion, it is unlikely that a trainee solicitor will think back to the time they worked well in a team or a time when they solved a complex problem if faced with a similar situation in practice.

Reactions: axelbeugre

jnice

Distinguished Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    Group exercises typically form a part of the assessment at a law firm assessment centre. How common is it for lawyers at a law firm to work together as a group under timed conditions all sat together at a table and for someone to time-keep?
    All the time - meetings particularly, that being client meetings, team meetings etc. time is literally money and we’ve got schedules to keep to.

Reactions: therealslimshady

futuretrainee2024

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    Competency style questions are common in law firm interviews. What is the purpose behind them?

In a real life problem, I tend to tackle a problem based on the facts presented to me rather than think back to a time in the past I have faced a similar situation. I am sure that most lawyers will do the same in practice. In my opinion, it is unlikely that a trainee solicitor will think back to the time they worked well in a team or a time when they solved a complex problem if faced with a similar situation in practice.
    its not to test how you'd apply your past experiences to future scenarios but more to see your thought process in the past and decision making abilities when those facts have been presented to you. also to see whether you've practiced those competencies to begin with. if a firm values collaboration but you've never worked with a team outside your university course then it doesn't display variety or demonstrate how you've previously worked with different teams.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.