TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Does anyone have any tips for preparing for a vacation scheme? Is there much you can do?
Congratulations on obtaining a vacation scheme offer!!

I have written some tips in this post which could be helpful as a starting point:
Post in thread 'TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24'
https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-169320

Alternatively, there is another article which is really useful:
Thread 'Converting your vacation scheme into a training contract - top tips in 2021'
https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....to-a-training-contract-top-tips-in-2021.3454/

www.thecorporatelawacademy.com

Convert your vacation scheme into a training contract | The Corporate Law Academy

We spoke to Rosie Watterson, founder of the blog Apply.Shine.Win, to learn how students can convert their vacation scheme into a training contract offer.

Good luck!

• ℹ️
Reactions: Sharon Wu

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Do firms tend to send AC invites in batches per office/ random batches or is it acceptances all at once and rejections all at once? It looks like Gateley have started to send invites for the office I applied for and I haven’t heard yet, so wondering if PFOs will follow later :(
There can be various patterns to this so it’s hard to really know what the process is for this particular firm.

Reactions: midnightsky990422

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Has anyone heard back post VI for BDB Pitmans yet?
The video interviews are currently with solicitors to review so I wouldn't expect to hear back for a couple more weeks. There were some delays as some candidates had technical issues which delayed the deadline for the VIs to all be submitted.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Sharon Wu

wyswysyws

Mar 15, 2024
I have applied to VS in both the UK and Hong Kong. While I have secured a VS in Hong Kong, all my UK applications were unsuccessful. Yet, I am more eager to practice in the UK after graduation. Does anyone know whether a Hong Kong VS would give me an advantage when I apply to the same firm's VS/TC in the UK in the next cycle? Does anyone have a similar experience?

MrHubertLouis

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 5, 2021
I can’t believe I’m saying this but I just signed my first TC with Pinsent Masons!!! I’m still in disbelief, but I wanna give a massive “thank you” to the TCLA team!

Six months ago, I made the then seemingly unrealistic decision to pursue a career in commercial law. Coming from a background where no one in my family has worked in law or the corporate world, I honestly didn’t know if I’d make it.

I joined TCLA not knowing the first thing about finance or M&A, but all the classes, commercial hours and mock interviews have helped me grow so much intellectually and professionally. However, it hasn't been a journey without ups and downs, from getting interview invites to getting multiple PFOs a day. Yet on here, I’ve met so many hardworking and ambitious people, all chasing the same dream, inspiring me to keep going.

This still feels like a dream — just a week ago, I was attending an AC for a VS; now, I’m signing a TC. I hope this helps anyone out there struggling with self-doubt or imposter syndrome to keep pressing on because YOU CAN MAKE IT! Once again, thank you so much to the TCLA team and thank you to everyone that's ever interacted with me on here!

Last edited:

elektrajenkov

Star Member
Dec 20, 2023
Has anyone been in touch with SH and know when we will hear back? Any offers or PFOs?
Nothing yet! They didn’t get back by the deadline they said in a reply to my email a few weeks ago (that deadline was a week ago) and haven’t had a response to a follow up I sent yesterday yet. Somebody on a PM said they’d heard of some PFOs being sent already though I think but I haven’t seen anything

• 🤝
Reactions: Aliceczernia

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I can’t believe I’m saying this but I just signed my first TC with Pinsent Masons!!! I’m still in disbelief, but I wanna give a massive “thank you” to the TCLA team!

Six months ago, I made the then seemingly unrealistic decision to pursue a career in commercial law. Coming from a background where no one in my family has worked in law or the corporate world, I honestly didn’t know if I’d make it.

I joined TCLA not knowing the first thing about finance or M&A, but all the classes, commercial hours and mock interviews have helped me grow so much intellectually and professionally. However, it hasn't been a journey filled without ups and downs, from getting interview invites to getting multiple PFOs a day. Yet on here, I’ve met so many hardworking and ambitious people, all chasing the same dream, inspiring me to keep going.

This still feels like a dream — just a week ago, I was attending an AC for a VS; now, I’m signing a TC. I hope this helps anyone out there struggling with self-doubt or imposter syndrome to keep pressing on because YOU CAN MAKE IT! Once again, thank you so much to the TCLA team and thank you to everyone that's ever interacted with me on here!
Congratulations @MrHubertLouis, this is amazing and you should be so proud of yourself for how far you've come. You deserve this achievement!

• Love
Reactions: MrHubertLouis

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

I joined TCLA not knowing the first thing about finance or M&A, but all the classes, commercial hours and mock interviews have helped me grow so much intellectually and professionally. However, it hasn't been a journey filled without ups and downs, from getting interview invites to getting multiple PFOs a day. Yet on here, I’ve met so many hardworking and ambitious people, all chasing the same dream, inspiring me to keep going.

I'm really proud of you - it has been such a pleasure seeing you in the live classes and mock interviews, and I can see how much hard work you put into this.

It's only a shame that we'll miss your presence in the sessions!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Amazing news - Congratulations!

Ariana Grande Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.