Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Does anyone have any advice on how to tackle the W&C application question: Identify a current global development and explain how it might affect demand for legal services. How is White & Case positioned to help clients respond? 'Global development' is pretty broad, does this mean macroeconomic trends and are we expected to tie our personal firm motivations into the question?
Hi! I completely agree with NovaaHellooo!!
I'd take it as macroeconomic trends, and geopolitical or regulatory shifts work too. Just pick one you can link to specific legal work they do (firms usually publish insights or trend reports on this, so worth a look). I'd also tie in personal experience rather than motivations (e.g. “From completing X, I understood Y” instead of “this is why I want to join W&C”).
Hi! Thank you so muchHi @Minhee, welcome to the community!
I have a question in regards to writing emails as a trainee. What is the best way to summarise things that you would have to do?
Don't worry, that's not a silly question at all! I am not Grad Rec, so I can't truly say, but I would assume as it is the same people screening for the same firm, they will look for the same traits, so logically, it would make sense to screen open day applicants in the same way as vac scheme applicants.I feel like this is a silly question but does anyone know whether firms consider the vac scheme when deciding who to accept for open days? If vac scheme applications are rolling, is there any point in accepting someone to an open day only to reject them later for the scheme?
Oh no, sorry it didn't work out! You have the right attitude thoughI submitted a request through their EC form, but unfortunately it wasn't successful. A bit sad, as I was quite optimistic about my FF app, but onwards and upwards.
Hi! I'm sorry to hear that - I think we all go through a moment in the app cycle where we start feeling dejected / stressed, so you're definitely not alone. Take the time to recharge! Well done for getting the apps in - even if it didn't work out, it's just more practice, and it's still such early days. A lot of my good news emails came later in the year! Those are also all very competitive firms, and it truly is a matter of matching with one that suits you. You only need one offer.Slaughter and May direct tc PFO, im feeling really defeated about not getting anything this cycle but still need to hear from Sidley, A&O Sherman, Reed Smith (no assessment yet), and Dechert (no assessment yet). I plan on applying to more firms, but I'm worried I am approaching applications wrong tho I have looked at what recruitment and TCLA forums recommend in your responses.
Congratulations!! That's wonderful news, I'm so happy for you!Hi!
I did the interview and got invited to the AC - do you have any tips?
Hi! I am not Grad Rec, so I can't truly say, but I think it is definitely worth a go if you're thinking of applying!If Jones Day is rolling, is it unlikely that I will progress to the next stage if I apply today?
Hi! I completely understand the frustration. I answered all my SJTs in the same way. Sometimes, I passed, and sometimes, I failed. It can feel very arbitrary and difficult to tell why.Does anyone have actionable advice on how to consistently pass SJTs?
I’m fine with Watson Glaser's because they can be learned, but the behavioural sections are where I struggle. I got a pfo from Freshfields today telling me to check my skills report, even though my top skills seem to align with what they’re looking for in trainees.
From my experience the process feels like random filtering. I passed one last cycle by spam clicking through it, but every time I answer following common advice (answer in line with firm values + what is expected of a trainee) I seem to fail.
I find this frustrating because it feels like borderline random filtering, where you’re expected to meet a hidden arbitrary threshold to pass. If anyone has any tips on how to systematically improve and pass this section, I’d really appreciate it.
Hi! That’s such a...Hellooooo!!
I just wanted to see how people are approaching SJTs and if anyone has any advice. I'm fine with the verbal, numerical and WG tests, but I think SJTs are what's been impacting me.
The "most/least likely" ones throw me off the most. Most of the options are so similar compared to the slider ones, so it feels like guesswork. I know people say to keep the firm's values in mind, but are you literally comparing each option against the values (like with a table), or do you have another method? They're usually untimed too, so I fear I'm overthinking them.
https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....s-discussion-thread-2026-27.10658/post-263112 Completely understandable! I did a post on them here - hope that is helpful and good luckMay I ask whether the Freshfields pfo was post stage 1 or 2?
Regarding SJTs, I'm a bit lost on them also.
Hi! I don't know much about Cleary specifically, but will try my best to speak to vac scheme CVs generally. Sorry I can't be more specific!Hello,
Really lost on how to structure a CV for something like a vacation scheme (this is for Cleary's winter VS). I know what a 'normal' CV with bullet points and headings looks like, but more unsure on if I need to include secondary/A-level grades, how many pages it should be, if I should be listing awards from age 16-18 when I've already graduated university, etc.
Thanks!
I attach my old one in template form, and a PDF so you can see how it looks in practice. Feel free to adapt - there's some flexibility with CV design provided it looks professional and is clear to read.
As @Jessica Booker pointed out, just make sure the dashes between the dates are consistent!
I don't think so! In some of my apps, I included deals that were a year ago. If you can come up with something current, that is great, but because ongoing deals are often kept confidential, this can be difficult. From my experience, firms are understanding about this!Is talking about a deal from 2025 too long ago in a why this firm question?
That's a good starting point!! I'd link it to specific experiences, and pick them carefully, because the first thing an assessor might ask is "So why not consultancy?"How to answer ‘why do you want to become a solicitor’? I like the processes behind things you see in the everyday world and solving complex issues to minimise them to simple solutions but I don’t think that’s enough. Do I have to link back to the firm? Link back to my work experience? Thanks
The way I approach this question is: if my answer could explain why I want to go into any other profession, it’s not explicit enough. For example, solving complex issues could apply to many careers. Funeral directors also solve complex issues (sorry to be crude, but hopefully you get the point!). You need to understand what solicitors actually do specifically and link your motivations to that. There are things that solicitors do that aren’t done by any other profession. You also want to draw upon experiences that made you realise that you’re drawn to being a solicitor specifically. Sorry if this response is a bit garbled, but I hope that helps a bit.How to answer ‘why do you want to become a solicitor’? I like the processes behind things you see in the everyday world and solving complex issues to minimise them to simple solutions but I don’t think that’s enough. Do I have to link back to the firm? Link back to my work experience? Thanks!
Reed Smith online assessment just came through!![]()
Thank you Minhee!!
@Jaysen has the feature to favourite posts been removed? I noticed a while back but always forget to mention it.![]()


Hey! This should allow you to bookmark a post, but let me know if you run into any issues
View attachment 8425
You can then find them here
View attachment 8426
