ULaw VS BPP - for personal law (not corporate / commercial)

jam1999

Star Member
Feb 24, 2020
I am starting the GDL in September and have offers from both University of Law (Moorgate Campus) and BPP (Waterloo campus). I chose these two GDl providers because of the excellent careers service / Pro Bono work and the fact the courses are taught by lawyers. I've also seen that both have connections to magic circle and big city corporate firms, with BPP potentially having the edge on that. The thing is - I am hoping to go into personal law, looking at either public law (actions by individuals against public bodies) or clinical / medical negligence. Firms I have been looking at therefore tend not to be magic circle - I am more focused on firms like Leigh Day, Irwin Mitchell, Kingsley Napley, Russell-Cooke and so on. I was wondering if anyone who is more interested in law related to human rights did the GDL at either of these providers and can give me any feedback. I want to go to the best uni possible but also am wary that the teaching may be entirely focused on gaining commercial awareness and preparing for the corporate world... any help/info would be welcomed!!

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
Jul 29, 2018
For modules like clinical/medical negligence or private client, both BPP and University of Law offers them. However, I noticed that some of the firms which you have mentioned (Irwin Mitchell, for example) sends their trainees to the University of Law for the LPC. Ultimately it's up to you as both providers offer the modules you're interested in. I've known students who have completed the LPC at the University of Law and went on to get TCs at firms that sent their trainees to BPP, and vice-versa, so I do not think you will be at a disadvantage at either.

Reactions: Zoo and Daniel Boden

ZH

Esteemed Member
Nov 14, 2019
I am starting the GDL in September and have offers from both University of Law (Moorgate Campus) and BPP (Waterloo campus). I chose these two GDl providers because of the excellent careers service / Pro Bono work and the fact the courses are taught by lawyers. I've also seen that both have connections to magic circle and big city corporate firms, with BPP potentially having the edge on that. The thing is - I am hoping to go into personal law, looking at either public law (actions by individuals against public bodies) or clinical / medical negligence. Firms I have been looking at therefore tend not to be magic circle - I am more focused on firms like Leigh Day, Irwin Mitchell, Kingsley Napley, Russell-Cooke and so on. I was wondering if anyone who is more interested in law related to human rights did the GDL at either of these providers and can give me any feedback. I want to go to the best uni possible but also am wary that the teaching may be entirely focused on gaining commercial awareness and preparing for the corporate world... any help/info would be welcomed!!

Hi!

I know you posted this some time ago but I thought I would just share a few thoughts (although not on the GDL) I did the LPC at ULaw. I don't think either provider would have a very 'corporate' focus unless the module is one leaning towards that e.g. commercial, public companies, M&A etc, for the LPC at least. And if your firm is sponsoring in which case it would be at the firm's request to focus on particular topics/areas.

Before applying to law firms, I had already completed the LPC and I was worried about whether firms would favour other applicants over me and depending on the provider etc but all the firms I spoke to, including most of those you mentioned, said it did not matter and will not affect my application.

I would recommend connecting with both providers and asking direct questions about your interests and their ability to accommodate - at the end of the day you're paying for this and want the best experience!

I hope this helps :)

• ℹ️
Reactions: JohanGRK

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.