US Firms in London with Good Disputes Practices?

Income and Expenses

Standard Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Dec 12, 2020
    Hi Everyone! I'm just wondering which US firms in London have 'good' disputes practices. Off the top of my head, I have Debevoise, Skadden, Gibson Dunn. Was hoping to add a few more onto my list so I could shoot some appliations off to them :) Thanks so much.

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi Everyone! I'm just wondering which US firms in London have 'good' disputes practices. Off the top of my head, I have Debevoise, Skadden, Gibson Dunn. Was hoping to add a few more onto my list so I could shoot some appliations off to them :) Thanks so much.
    Those are probably the ones I would think of off the top of my head too - GD especially. i am tagging @Daniel Boden as someone who applied more to US firms than myself who may have more knowledge on this than me :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    To add to Ram's point, Latham are doing their very best to up their London Disputes Team, and after going to several events/doing the vac with them, growth in London (including growing their disputes team) seems to be a huge focus for them. So I think while an interest in transactional work is important, it's not going to go down badly that you're interested in disputes/might even demonstrate the extent of your research into the firm. I would also look into some of the lateral hires they've made into their disputes team recently, I remember seeing some headline in The Lawyer a couple of months back so maybe try to find that!

A friendly human

Star Member
    Feb 13, 2020
    Both are good for disputes too, along with White & Case. However, all 3 firms are transactional focused (as are their TCs), so if you apply to them, I'd be careful about how much you specify an interest in disputes.

In my opinion, Skadden, Quin Emanuel and Gibson Dunn are the best for disputes as they're highly ranked across different types of disputes around the world (commercial litigation, international arbitration, white collar, competition litigation etc). The Legal 500 USA and Chambers USA are great resources to see which US firms are the best at disputes (the disputes might not be London centric but at least you'll be working on top level disputes work).
    good points. i would expect jones day to be added to that list if we're going global haha. quinn sadly doesn't offer TCs :(

Reactions: J32

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.