Weil Training Contract Application 2025

Aug 28, 2023
I get the frustration of not hearing, but sometimes firms just don’t have an update for you.

It’s not about disrespect to the candidate, it is just that there isn’t a message to give. I’ve lost count how many times I would have liked to have updated candidates but I wasn’t in a position where I could.
The deadline was July 31st; the recruiters told all of us at the Legal Cheek event a fortnight ago that we should have had our results ages ago but they would aim for September 8th, yet there is still nothing.

I'm just calling a spade a spade because it is very disrespectful. They're playing in our faces. Especially because it's not like they are individualising the responses, it's an automated rejection or progression which requires no more than a keyboard button push.

• Wow
Reactions: FM302989 and bibss

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The deadline was July 31st; the recruiters told all of us at the Legal Cheek event a fortnight ago that we should have had our results ages ago but they would aim for September 8th, yet there is still nothing.

I'm just calling a spade a spade because it is very disrespectful. They're playing in our faces. Especially because it's not like they are individualising the responses, it's an automated rejection or progression which requires no more than a keyboard button push.
To send an update via a keyboard button you need a decision to update on though. That is where the delay could be (or people could just be off from work unexpectedly - wouldn’t be unusual given how much Covid is currently doing the rounds).

I get is frustrating. I am just trying to highlight the simple reasons why this can happen.

They are not playing with you though. I know that’s what you to perceive it to be but that really won’t be the case.

31st July was 7 weeks ago. This is no time at all in recruitment, especially over the summer.

Reactions: Louise59 and AlexJ
Aug 28, 2023
Very few law firms actually care about you. They're just looking for cannon fodder at this level.

Also the more open, modern, inclusive they say they are, the less they actually are like the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

If everyone went to the highest bidder after 2 years, that might concentrate a few minds at the partnership.
I don't know much about Korea, but it really sucks that they are treating us like this.

Aug 28, 2023
To send an update via a keyboard button you need a decision to update on though. That is where the delay could be (or people could just be off from work unexpectedly - wouldn’t be unusual given how much Covid is currently doing the rounds).

I get is frustrating. I am just trying to highlight the simple reasons why this can happen.

They are not playing with you though. I know that’s what you to perceive it to be but that really won’t be the case.

31st July was 7 weeks ago. This is no time at all in recruitment, especially over the summer.
7 weeks is almost 2 months and the point still stands that "even if it's not long for recruitment", it is for regular, young people who genuinely need TCs to continue their careers.

Playing in someone's face means to tell them one thing but do another. They said they would reply to us, but they didn't; therefore, they played in our faces.

ATP it is what it is but disregard like this is why people hate the application process and why people despise recruiters because if us applicants can balance jobs, degrees, societies, caring for dependents and whatever else - the least recruiters can do is reject/ progress my application, or give me a true deadline for when I will hear back.🤷‍♀️

Aug 28, 2023
Very few law firms actually care about you. They're just looking for cannon fodder at this level.

Also the more open, modern, inclusive they say they are, the less they actually are like the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

If everyone went to the highest bidder after 2 years, that might concentrate a few minds at the partnership.
This is very true! I have heard so many horror stories about "diverse and inclusive" firms.

There's a reason diversity and inclusion rarely stretches above associate level in the UK compared to America for black and mixed race lawyers.

Usually, they describe their experiences as horrific and being showboated as a token for website pictures but discarded when it comes to promotion and salary increases on par with their white/ Asian counterparts.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
7 weeks is almost 2 months and the point still stands that "even if it's not long for recruitment", it is for regular, young people who genuinely need TCs to continue their careers.

Playing in someone's face means to tell them one thing but do another. They said they would reply to us, but they didn't; therefore, they played in our faces.

ATP it is what it is but disregard like this is why people hate the application process and why people despise recruiters because if us applicants can balance jobs, degrees, societies, caring for dependents and whatever else - the least recruiters can do is reject/ progress my application, or give me a true deadline for when I will hear back.🤷‍♀️
I am not disregarding anything. If anything I am trying to highlight why regarding the challenges recruiters have is as equally important.

Respect goes both ways and I’d hope candidates could also understand their timescales / expectations are likely going to be at odds with what is influencing the firm’s decision making and processes.

Reactions: FM302989

FM302989

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Sorry but the comments I'm reading here referring to grad rec as North Korea and taking a busy application season so personally is absolutely absurd.

Trust me, I get the frustration and now that I've qualified I don't ever want to look back. The most productive thing you can do is leave your application in x firm's hands, and keep applying elsewhere. Never put all your eggs in one basket. If you're applying to top US firms like Weil who have multiple TC streams, they must get hundreds and hundreds of applications they need to read carefully.

Yes the waits are annoying, but keep applying and try open more doors for yourself

Marissa

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 25, 2020
    Just completed the VI and couldn’t see myself when answering the questions. I was able to when practicing but the image appeared streched so my head looked wider than normal. Hopefully that doesn’t matter too much. I used an iPad to complete it. Good luck to everyone else who’s doing it!

Reactions: sxw517 and JcW

AN190

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 1, 2023
    sure thing. thanks. Were there commercially inclined qs also?

In order to maintain the integrity of the process, I prefer not to divulge the exact questions. However, I would recommend reviewing the typical motivational questions that are commonly asked.
    hope your interview went well sws517! would you be able to say how long you had to respond to each question (is it a min per?)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.