which sectors will generate the most work for law firms in the next financial year?

Mo M

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jun 6, 2020
    I am looking at the Burges Salmon vac scheme app and one of the questions is:

Burges Salmon operates in seven key sectors. Which of the sectors do you think will generate the most work for the firm in the next financial year and why? (300 words max)*

I actually think it's quite an interesting question for general discussion and to speak about in interviews or general commercial awareness so thought to post it on here!

Some food for thought :)

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
    Jul 29, 2018
    Just some thoughts from the top of my head:
    • TMT - because many retailers will probably be establishing an online presence due to physical store closures. They will thus want guidance with regards to data privacy especially with increased online payments.
    • Consumer services sector/automobile sector/retail sector - these sectors will be seeking to reassess their supply chains given the pandemic and may also need legal advice on how to ensure its employees' safety given the need to comply with social distancing requirements.

Yiannis Kyriacou

Oct 26, 2020
    Hey Mo, did you have any ideas of what to write for that question? i am not sure how to explain why I think the energy sector will generate the most work next year as I cant find any valid information. Also I'm am not sure which sector to write about yet and would want to hear your opinion.
    I am looking at the Burges Salmon vac scheme app and one of the questions is:

Burges Salmon operates in seven key sectors. Which of the sectors do you think will generate the most work for the firm in the next financial year and why? (300 words max)*

I actually think it's quite an interesting question for general discussion and to speak about in interviews or general commercial awareness so thought to post it on here!

Some food for thought :)

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
    Jul 29, 2018
    Hey Mo, did you have any ideas of what to write for that question? i am not sure how to explain why I think the energy sector will generate the most work next year as I cant find any valid information. Also I'm am not sure which sector to write about yet and would want to hear your opinion.

The energy sector may generate work in terms of bankruptcies. M&A departments may also be asked to advise on the acquisition of smaller energy companies by larger ones in the energy sector.

Mo M

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jun 6, 2020
    The firm specific sectors are Energy, infrastructure, public sector, transport, financial services, private wealth and real estate.

Yiannis, I was thinking about going down the private wealth section!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.