Why didn't you get a vacation scheme in your second year of study?

Lauren

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 16, 2018
I'm a current third year student and I have an upcoming assessment centre at Hogan Lovells. I am worried that the difficult question of 'Why didn't you get a vacation scheme in your second year of study?' will come up. In all reality, it was because I was not entirely sure what firms I wanted to apply to or whether I wanted to apply to Leeds or London firms. Is this a reasonable answer to give?
(Obviously with a bit more detail, and what drove me now to choose London international commercial firms)

Reactions: v123

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
In all reality, it was because I was not entirely sure what firms I wanted to apply to or whether I wanted to apply to Leeds or London firms.

I had similar reasons for not applying for a single vac scheme until I graduated uni. I think that’s quite reasonable, as long as you flesh it out with good explanations!

Reactions: v123

v123

Valued Member
Jan 16, 2019
I'm a current third year student and I have an upcoming assessment centre at Hogan Lovells. I am worried that the difficult question of 'Why didn't you get a vacation scheme in your second year of study?' will come up. In all reality, it was because I was not entirely sure what firms I wanted to apply to or whether I wanted to apply to Leeds or London firms. Is this a reasonable answer to give?
(Obviously with a bit more detail, and what drove me now to choose London international commercial firms)
Hey Lauren,

I applied to vacation schemes last year and was unsuccessful. I think if I got this question I would be honest about it and say I've used this year to gain more legal experience and further my understanding of a career in commercial law through open days, presentations, workshops etc. By gaining more information on what the career entails, I believe I'll be more successful in the future. I also spoke with a current trainee at Hogan Lovells who told me she applied to over 30 vac schemes, didnt get anything and then got HL so don't stress too much :)

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hey Lauren,

I applied to vacation schemes last year and was unsuccessful. I think if I got this question I would be honest about it and say I've used this year to gain more legal experience and further my understanding of a career in commercial law through open days, presentations, workshops etc. By gaining more information on what the career entails, I believe I'll be more successful in the future. I also spoke with a current trainee at Hogan Lovells who told me she applied to over 30 vac schemes, didnt get anything and then got HL so don't stress too much :)

I think that is the norm - applying to loads and then getting your break at some point...

Reactions: v123 and Daniel Boden

Maccie

Future Trainee
Sep 22, 2018
If that is any comfort, on my vacation scheme with Hogan Lovells, most students, myself included, were not even reading for their undergraduate anymore. This was not an issue as we all had reasons for this!

As long as you expect the question to be asked and are ready to justify your choices, you should be fine :)

Reactions: Lauren

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.