Why does a career in a city law firm interest you?

yanerlim

Valued Member
Sep 4, 2018
I recently stumbled upon this question from a Sidley Austin application. "Why does a career in a city law firm interest you?" I know it is a straight forward question, but it as almost too straight forward, I was at a loss for words. A few things I can think of are a wide breadth of legal work, international clients due to London's reputation as a financial etc. But I felt that my answers are too generic and I was wondering if there are ways if I can tailor it better to Sidley Austin (they have an extensive expertise in finance, but I'm not sure what to mention to tie it to the question). Please let me know what I can do to make my answers better !

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I wouldn't overthink this one too much. It's genuinely asking you why you want to work at a city law firm. You can adapt your answer of "why commercial law" to include why you want to work at a London law firm. The examples you mention -- particularly London's reputation as a financial centre -- are good. Just try to be specific in your reasons e.g. if you mention a wide breadth of legal work, would you not get that anywhere? Why London in particular?

I recently spoke to @PrancingUnicorns about this who may also be able to share some thoughts.

Hazal

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 25, 2018
    I think those are good reasons but just need supplementing with real life experiences that you've had to distinguish from similar work such as banking and consulting. I.e. attending open days, talking to lawyers at networking sessions, specific deals that excited you, all of which help you reiterate your reasons.

For example, one reason I mention is my attraction to fast-paced deals with high, financial stakes (and sometimes mention I like deals that make headlines), then reference work the specific law firm have worked on to tailor it to them a little. Or, look at their grad brochure/website and see deals that trainees mention as memorable and see how they voice their motivation for their work. They don't have to be super specific, but anything you can do to tailor the firm or make it real, is useful.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.