Winter vs. Spring vs. Summer Vac Schemes

Rufanacht

Standard Member
Sep 6, 2019
Hi, I'm sure this must have been asked before but I can't seem to find it. If a firm offers one vac scheme in Winter, Spring and Summer (or just two of them), does one of these tend to always be the most competitive? (assuming they're all open for anyone to apply to).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
No set trend on this - depends on eligibility of the programme and just natural application rates.

Wouldn’t even attempt to game the system, just apply to the programme that is most suitable for you

anf1811

Star Member
Premium Member
Apr 6, 2018
Hi Jessica,

In reference to this, I am a graduate and am currently applying mainly for winter vacation schemes and have realised many of these occur in the same week.

Whilst I know that I should be thinking about the application rather than getting offers at the moment, I’m slightly worried that if all goes well and I do end up getting more than one offer I would have to turn down a scheme at a firm I am really interested in.

In your experience do firms tend to be flexible with with moving between schemes once an offer has been made and would I therefore be ok to continue applying mainly for winter schemes?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

In reference to this, I am a graduate and am currently applying mainly for winter vacation schemes and have realised many of these occur in the same week.

Whilst I know that I should be thinking about the application rather than getting offers at the moment, I’m slightly worried that if all goes well and I do end up getting more than one offer I would have to turn down a scheme at a firm I am really interested in.

In your experience do firms tend to be flexible with with moving between schemes once an offer has been made and would I therefore be ok to continue applying mainly for winter schemes?

Possibly - but it’s not unlikely you will need to turn down offers. This is far more common than offering a different programme

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.