Help buying/choosing professional clothing (especially for women)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
H&M have pretty good quality blazers for £20-25, definitely recommend :)
I lived in H&M blazers when I worked in law firms. Generally found they lasted pretty well too and there were so more casual fits which still looked smart but weren’t overly structured like a suit (which I wanted)

• Love
Reactions: Alison C and LEL

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
Jan 6, 2021
H&M have pretty good quality blazers for £20-25, definitely recommend :)
I lived in H&M blazers when I worked in law firms. Generally found they lasted pretty well too and there were so more casual fits which still looked smart but weren’t overly structured like a suit (which I wanted)

Thank you for the guidance, I will take a look at H&M too😄

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 11, 2021
This is an old thread but if anyone's still here please can I have your thoughts :D I have a vac scheme in London in July and I have no idea what to wear. This is my first formal work experience where I have to go into the office so I don't really know what is expected of me. And because of COVID all the open days I've been to have been online so I never had to worry about what to wear but I think I do need to start planning now for the vac scheme.

TOPS
I think I have enough cigarette trousers but I don't know what tops to pair them with. I find that I look very uptight/overly serious with black trousers + white blouse + black blazer. Will a flowy/semi formal top (e.g. from UNIQLO) tucked into cigarette trousers be good enough? Or would that be more of smth that you would only wear on casual friday?

Also, I have no clue what firms mean when they say casual friday haha. What's acceptable/not acceptable for casual friday?

DRESSES
Any suggestions for where to find affordable business dresses would be greatly appreciated!

BAGS
This may sound stupid but I don't own a proper handbag lol. Never felt the need to buy one as well because the only bag I ever use at uni is my black canvas backpack. Will I look stupid going into the office with a backpack and no proper handbag? I'd imagine looking quite stupid with a giant backpack if I were out for drinks for a social with the other vac schemers/trainees - so I am thinking of investing in a proper handbag - any suggestions to find an affordable bag that is of decent quality?

SHOES
I'm quite short but not a fan of wearing heels. Would chunky-soled shoes like these be too informal? I'm struggling to find the right pair of black brogues that are formal enough to wear day-to-day in the office. Are there any alternatives if I want to add a bit of height but don't feel like wearing heels? For flats, would simple black leather pumps be okay? If I do decide to wear heels, would it be weird to wear trainers on the tube and only change into heels when you get to your desk at the office?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This is an old thread but if anyone's still here please can I have your thoughts :D I have a vac scheme in London in July and I have no idea what to wear. This is my first formal work experience where I have to go into the office so I don't really know what is expected of me. And because of COVID all the open days I've been to have been online so I never had to worry about what to wear but I think I do need to start planning now for the vac scheme.

TOPS
I think I have enough cigarette trousers but I don't know what tops to pair them with. I find that I look very uptight/overly serious with black trousers + white blouse + black blazer. Will a flowy/semi formal top (e.g. from UNIQLO) tucked into cigarette trousers be good enough? Or would that be more of smth that you would only wear on casual friday?

Also, I have no clue what firms mean when they say casual friday haha. What's acceptable/not acceptable for casual friday?

DRESSES
Any suggestions for where to find affordable business dresses would be greatly appreciated!

BAGS
This may sound stupid but I don't own a proper handbag lol. Never felt the need to buy one as well because the only bag I ever use at uni is my black canvas backpack. Will I look stupid going into the office with a backpack and no proper handbag? I'd imagine looking quite stupid with a giant backpack if I were out for drinks for a social with the other vac schemers/trainees - so I am thinking of investing in a proper handbag - any suggestions to find an affordable bag that is of decent quality?

SHOES
I'm quite short but not a fan of wearing heels. Would chunky-soled shoes like these be too informal? I'm struggling to find the right pair of black brogues that are formal enough to wear day-to-day in the office. Are there any alternatives if I want to add a bit of height but don't feel like wearing heels? For flats, would simple black leather pumps be okay? If I do decide to wear heels, would it be weird to wear trainers on the tube and only change into heels when you get to your desk at the office?
You won't look "overly serious" in a white blouse and black trousers/blazer - it's a pretty safe option to go for. More flowy blouses will be fine too - my advice is just to avoid anything that is overly patterned/bold. That could be worn on a normal day - "casual Fridays" are typically jeans/trainers type of wear (albeit on the smart side of this - e.g. no ripped/distressed jeans, everything should be clean/tidy).

I lived in H&M dresses throughout my time in law firms - still live in them now when I am in the city/on client site. I have lived in their wrap dresses - find their length is business appropriate and they are smart enough with tights and a blazer/jacket or very smart cardigan for days when I have no meetings.

The shoes are ok and I have seen people wear things like this. I am very particular about shoes, so my personal suggestion would be something slightly less "chunky" - like this - Black Metal Trim Block Heel Court Shoes | New Look or Wide Fit Block Heel Court Shoes | M&S Collection | M&S (marksandspencer.com) but that is my biases coming out!

Reactions: average_jo123

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021

TOPS

DRESSES

BAGS

SHOES
    Since the pandemic a lot of firms have let go of really strict dress codes, there’s an emphasis on “dress for your day”. Basically just means if you know you’re likely to be meeting with someone you want to go full formal wear (blouse and blazer), and I’d probably do that for the first day of the scheme and any days you know you’ll be networking. But on the other days you’re fine doing a nice flowy blouse, cigarette trousers (personally I love nice high waisted formal trousers), and flats. I haven’t worn heels since pre panny. And nice dresses are one of the easiest things to wear as they are one piece - just beware that they should ideally come to your knees (or at least close enough to it).

Casual Friday is exactly what Jessica said - no ripped jeans or athletic wear, but you’re fine wearing nice blue jeans or chinos and a t-shirt with sneakers.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019

TOPS

DRESSES

BAGS

SHOES
    All the advice above is excellent, and I'd encourage you to remember the 'armour' quality of good clothing too. There is a ton of evidence around how both (1) people respond to visual cues/presence and (2) how much clothes can give you confidence. You said it yourself, this is your first formal work experience so you want to feel and look quite different from how you did, say, in school uniform. That's the issue that @Jessica Booker has picked up on with the shoes IMO - they are just a bit 'rough and ready' for the office. Fine as a statement, and very practical, but just not very elegant or professional. The simple, understated slingback or low-heeled court shoe she linked are just going to help you feel that much more put together. As long as they are the right size...!

Regarding the bag, it's less about 'looking stupid' - so many people carry backpacks these days with their laptops that it isn't so crucial. But you are quite right about wanting to feel a bit more relaxed. You want to be able to go for a drink and not have to keep the backpack on, while being able to buy a round if that's the right thing to do. You could consider using the backpack for your work shoes, umbrella etc, and having a separate smaller bag for your wallet/whatever.

Mango can have fun handbags (Spanish so tend to be stylish), also maybe Zara; M&S also have some good designs (this looks a slightly pricey but very well-designed camera bag , also in faux leather for about half the price), but it depends on what you feel like. Bags are something that you need to play with to find what suits you. You mentioned Uniqlo and they have a couple that look OK - larger ones you could compartmentalize with zip bags like pencilcases etc? I prefer structured bags as I hate not being able to find anything, so that would be my workaround. I also try to have everything zipped away; pickpockets have had a rough old Pandemic and are out on the prowl again, not a trauma you need on a VS. So look for something you can open and close easily. EBay is brilliant if you know what you want (eg M&S saddle bag or Zara) but then you are rather stuck with it.

By the way, I don't own an M&S handbag but it's a good place to start. Accessorize always used to have some hidden gems so you could search for 'Accessorize suede bag' on eBay or something? Far more sustainable too, but check the listing to make sure it isn't going to smell of parties and cigarettes (!).

Another way to go would be to ditch the student backpack and get a tote bag - but you'd still need something for your essentials.

In the end, they aren't going to hire or not hire you based on your handbag but you might find it just gives you that chance to feel a bit more professional. Have fun!

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    Very good advice above. I am an old lawyer (and female). My only additional points are that no matter how hot it is in July don't have bare legs and bare arms and I would not plaster make up on too thick if you wear it at all.

If you have time and live near London you could also pop into London the week before, if you have time, and sit with a coffee near the entrance to the firm and see what women who are lawyers are wearing there (no one would see), check your route to the firm and just feel a bit more confident about going there. (If you live 100 miles away this might be a silly idea of course).

You can certainly have different shoes for travel into work and to change before you get into the office or change once there. I have done that before.

I have never had lots of outfits by the way. I used to have two sets of something like a suit - jacket and skirt or whatever and just alternate them. However I appreciate lots of women want lots of different clothes and to be seen in different things (my two daughters are solicitors and I am sure have many more varieties of clothes than I had with my simple two suit uinform day in day out which involves no thought and I prefer).

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 11, 2021
    You won't look "overly serious" in a white blouse and black trousers/blazer - it's a pretty safe option to go for. More flowy blouses will be fine too - my advice is just to avoid anything that is overly patterned/bold. That could be worn on a normal day - "casual Fridays" are typically jeans/trainers type of wear (albeit on the smart side of this - e.g. no ripped/distressed jeans, everything should be clean/tidy).

I lived in H&M dresses throughout my time in law firms - still live in them now when I am in the city/on client site. I have lived in their wrap dresses - find their length is business appropriate and they are smart enough with tights and a blazer/jacket or very smart cardigan for days when I have no meetings.

The shoes are ok and I have seen people wear things like this. I am very particular about shoes, so my personal suggestion would be something slightly less "chunky" - like this - Black Metal Trim Block Heel Court Shoes | New Look or Wide Fit Block Heel Court Shoes | M&S Collection | M&S (marksandspencer.com) but that is my biases coming out!

Since the pandemic a lot of firms have let go of really strict dress codes, there’s an emphasis on “dress for your day”. Basically just means if you know you’re likely to be meeting with someone you want to go full formal wear (blouse and blazer), and I’d probably do that for the first day of the scheme and any days you know you’ll be networking. But on the other days you’re fine doing a nice flowy blouse, cigarette trousers (personally I love nice high waisted formal trousers), and flats. I haven’t worn heels since pre panny. And nice dresses are one of the easiest things to wear as they are one piece - just beware that they should ideally come to your knees (or at least close enough to it).

Casual Friday is exactly what Jessica said - no ripped jeans or athletic wear, but you’re fine wearing nice blue jeans or chinos and a t-shirt with sneakers.

All the advice above is excellent, and I'd encourage you to remember the 'armour' quality of good clothing too. There is a ton of evidence around how both (1) people respond to visual cues/presence and (2) how much clothes can give you confidence. You said it yourself, this is your first formal work experience so you want to feel and look quite different from how you did, say, in school uniform. That's the issue that @Jessica Booker has picked up on with the shoes IMO - they are just a bit 'rough and ready' for the office. Fine as a statement, and very practical, but just not very elegant or professional. The simple, understated slingback or low-heeled court shoe she linked are just going to help you feel that much more put together. As long as they are the right size...!

Regarding the bag, it's less about 'looking stupid' - so many people carry backpacks these days with their laptops that it isn't so crucial. But you are quite right about wanting to feel a bit more relaxed. You want to be able to go for a drink and not have to keep the backpack on, while being able to buy a round if that's the right thing to do. You could consider using the backpack for your work shoes, umbrella etc, and having a separate smaller bag for your wallet/whatever.

Mango can have fun handbags (Spanish so tend to be stylish), also maybe Zara; M&S also have some good designs (this looks a slightly pricey but very well-designed camera bag , also in faux leather for about half the price), but it depends on what you feel like. Bags are something that you need to play with to find what suits you. You mentioned Uniqlo and they have a couple that look OK - larger ones you could compartmentalize with zip bags like pencilcases etc? I prefer structured bags as I hate not being able to find anything, so that would be my workaround. I also try to have everything zipped away; pickpockets have had a rough old Pandemic and are out on the prowl again, not a trauma you need on a VS. So look for something you can open and close easily. EBay is brilliant if you know what you want (eg M&S saddle bag or Zara) but then you are rather stuck with it.

By the way, I don't own an M&S handbag but it's a good place to start. Accessorize always used to have some hidden gems so you could search for 'Accessorize suede bag' on eBay or something? Far more sustainable too, but check the listing to make sure it isn't going to smell of parties and cigarettes (!).

Another way to go would be to ditch the student backpack and get a tote bag - but you'd still need something for your essentials.

In the end, they aren't going to hire or not hire you based on your handbag but you might find it just gives you that chance to feel a bit more professional. Have fun!

Very good advice above. I am an old lawyer (and female). My only additional points are that no matter how hot it is in July don't have bare legs and bare arms and I would not plaster make up on too thick if you wear it at all.

If you have time and live near London you could also pop into London the week before, if you have time, and sit with a coffee near the entrance to the firm and see what women who are lawyers are wearing there (no one would see), check your route to the firm and just feel a bit more confident about going there. (If you live 100 miles away this might be a silly idea of course).

You can certainly have different shoes for travel into work and to change before you get into the office or change once there. I have done that before.

I have never had lots of outfits by the way. I used to have two sets of something like a suit - jacket and skirt or whatever and just alternate them. However I appreciate lots of women want lots of different clothes and to be seen in different things (my two daughters are solicitors and I am sure have many more varieties of clothes than I had with my simple two suit uinform day in day out which involves no thought and I prefer).

Honestly don't know where I would be without TCLA 😭 Really grateful for having a place to ask all these questions and getting good advice in return! Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 11, 2021
    I just had two more questions that I would like to get everybody's thoughts on:

1. Bare legs
    When I volunteer in court I usually see barristers wearing tights if the skirt they're wearing is above the knee. If I wear a dress that's slightly below the knee, would I still need to wear tights so as to not show bare legs?

2. Makeup
    I have no experience with makeup at all. The only time I put on makeup is when I need to go to balls/slightly fancier evening events and even then I'd just ask friends to help me with makeup because I never felt the need to invest in makeup products myself and start learning how to do it. But with this vac scheme coming up and eventually having to go into a corporate job post-graduation, I was wondering if it's time to at least learn how to do basic makeup.

I usually feel much more comfortable without any makeup on. But I went to an in-person insight day at a law firm once and felt slightly out of place because almost everyone else had makeup on. Nobody commented on/was mean about it but I was just self-aware and felt like a child lol. And I think I'll feel the same way on the vac scheme.

I know that nobody working at a law firm will ever wear super bold/thick/loud makeup - tends to be simpler, muted tones. But is it unprofessional to turn up to work without any makeup on?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

1. Bare legs
    When I volunteer in court I usually see barristers wearing tights if the skirt they're wearing is above the knee. If I wear a dress that's slightly below the knee, would I still need to wear tights so as to not show bare legs?

2. Makeup
    I have no experience with makeup at all. The only time I put on makeup is when I need to go to balls/slightly fancier evening events and even then I'd just ask friends to help me with makeup because I never felt the need to invest in makeup products myself and start learning how to do it. But with this vac scheme coming up and eventually having to go into a corporate job post-graduation, I was wondering if it's time to at least learn how to do basic makeup.

I usually feel much more comfortable without any makeup on. But I went to an in-person insight day at a law firm once and felt slightly out of place because almost everyone else had makeup on. Nobody commented on/was mean about it but I was just self-aware and felt like a child lol. And I think I'll feel the same way on the vac scheme.

I know that nobody working at a law firm will ever wear super bold/thick/loud makeup - tends to be simpler, muted tones. But is it unprofessional to turn up to work without any makeup on?
    I would always recommend wearing tights, even if they are a relatively low denier and sheer. There is something weird about bare legs that many firms get a bit sniffy about.

I don’t think you need to become good at make up. Even a light foundation/powder, a few flicks of mascara, and a nude lip can be enough. You don’t need to have a full face of make up that is for sure. But just tidying your face up (especially for me the dark circles under my eyes 😖) can help you feel more confident. However, I used to only put make up on when I had anything client facing. If I was just going to be sat at my desk all day, I’d not wear any make up. Plenty of lawyers I know don’t wear make up though and I don’t think you have to do so.

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021

1. Bare legs

2. Makeup

There’s no right or wrong answer with make up. Abstain from anything too crazy (I only wear pink eyeshadow when working from home) but beyond that it’s dealer’s choice really! One of the associates in my team never wears make up ever and I find her incredibly impressive, I couldn’t care less if she wore make up. Personally I wear it every day because unlike you I feel very insecure and childlike without it. I do my brows and some mascara, and some days if I need an extra pep in my step I’ll do a subtle cat eye. No one has ever cared either way for me.

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Also sorry but I’ve just been thinking about this for a few days and I disagree about the bare arms tip. I appreciate that you shouldn’t have your shoulders out and tank tops are a no-go, but if it is 35 degrees out (which is not unheard of in London mid-July), absolutely no one will judge you for wearing a blouse or a dress with a capped short sleeve. Of course always bring a jacket or something you can cover up with so that you look appropriate for your audience (and it gets cold in air-conditioned offices), but if you are having lunch outside or sitting in a really warm room with your colleagues, absolutely no one will think less of you for having a nice blouse with short sleeves on. I just wanted to put that out there because the thought of young professionals going into a vac scheme mid July at risk of a heatstroke is crazy to me.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Also sorry but I’ve just been thinking about this for a few days and I disagree about the bare arms tip. I appreciate that you shouldn’t have your shoulders out and tank tops are a no-go, but if it is 35 degrees out (which is not unheard of in London mid-July), absolutely no one will judge you for wearing a blouse or a dress with a capped short sleeve. Of course always bring a jacket or something you can cover up with so that you look appropriate for your audience (and it gets cold in air-conditioned offices), but if you are having lunch outside or sitting in a really warm room with your colleagues, absolutely no one will think less of you for having a nice blouse with short sleeves on. I just wanted to put that out there because the thought of young professionals going into a vac scheme mid July at risk of a heatstroke is crazy to me.
    My view is spaghetti strap type tops would be too far, but I have seen plenty of people wear sleeveless dresses and for them to still be ok (something like this). As you have suggested, you can always cover up with a jacket for a meeting. But if you were sat at your desk, no one would really think about it if your arms were bare and especially if it was the height of summer.

Something like the dress above works as there isn’t a lot of other flesh on show, it is just your arms!

corplaw0702

Esteemed Member
    Oct 15, 2020
    My view is spaghetti strap type tops would be too far, but I have seen plenty of people wear sleeveless dresses and for them to still be ok (something like this). As you have suggested, you can always cover up with a jacket for a meeting. But if you were sat at your desk, no one would really think about it if your arms were bare and especially if it was the height of summer.

Something like the dress above works as there isn’t a lot of other flesh on show, it is just your arms!
    What is usually the rule about colored clothing (ie blouses/collared shirts, and skirts)? I know white blue and black are safe , but I'm not sure if some of my colored clothing will be too loud in an office setting.

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    What is usually the rule about colored clothing (ie blouses/collared shirts, and skirts)? I know white blue and black are safe , but I'm not sure if some of my colored clothing will be too loud in an office setting.
    I wouldn't wear a bright pink suit on your first day but I have yet to meet anyone who has an outright issue with colorful clothing. As long as it looks professional it doesn't matter if your shirt is white or green or orange. When I wear colorful clothing I always try to combine it with something that is a neutral color (i.e. a pink blouse with black pants, a purple shirt with brown pants, etc).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Colours are usually fine. I would just avoid anything overly bright and highly patterned.

Reactions: corplaw0702

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    It has never been as easy for women as men on these issues. I never wore make up in the office and was at a leading MC firm. (I work for myself now so can wear what I like). Other women feel they do want to wear make up and I think some surveys found women who wear some make up earn more than women who don't. I would say do what you want on that front (within reason - avoid anything over the top but no make up is fine if like me you don't like wearing it).

No bare legs or arms probably just feels more professional in my view. Men don't go into the office or court with bare arms or legs. I have certainly seen young female lawyers with bare legs or thin strappy tops but I just thin it is best to be on the safe side and avoid that if you can.

For court (a different issue) then I always had a black jacket and still do. For every day it would be better not to be standing out with the brightest clothes anyone has on. However I have worn my fair share of bright jackets. Eg I had an orange jacket worn with a black skirt for conference presentations at one point where in a way I did want to stand out.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    All look great from my perspective.

I might just be careful what to pair the first skirt with. With a looser blouse or jacket it will be fine, I just wouldn't wear something really tight with it, where the skirt itself is tight (this is just my opinion though). People wear skirts like that all the time though, so this is only a minor comment.

Reactions: aspiringlawyer123_

aspiringlawyer123_

Legendary Member
    Dec 11, 2021
    All look great from my perspective.

I might just be careful what to pair the first skirt with. With a looser blouse or jacket it will be fine, I just wouldn't wear something really tight with it, where the skirt itself is tight (this is just my opinion though). People wear skirts like that all the time though, so this is only a minor comment.
    Thanks for the help!! Regarding tops - do you always have to wear shirts or are long sleeve high neck tops also ok?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.