TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
\

can/should we apply to both? (Normal one and sector focused) thanks!
I would only apply for one. I suspect if you applied for both, you'd just be pushed to the general one anyway, but to check, I would email the Grad Rec team to ask what their stance on this is.

Reactions: AvniD

NaimK

Valued Member
May 6, 2019
Q: Please tell us about your extracurricular activities, and any positions of responsibility you've held as part of these. Max 250 words

For this question, must every extracurricular activity I mention be tied to a position of responsibility or can I just mention a position of responsibility for at least one of them but then list some other activities more generally?

For example, let's say I like basketball (captained my school team) and chess (just an interest of mine), would that be fine? Do I have to only list extracurricular activities whereby I assumed a position of responsibility?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Q: Please tell us about your extracurricular activities, and any positions of responsibility you've held as part of these. Max 250 words

For this question, must every extracurricular activity I mention be tied to a position of responsibility or can I just mention a position of responsibility for at least one of them but then list some other activities more generally?

For example, let's say I like basketball (captained my school team) and chess (just an interest of mine), would that be fine? Do I have to only list extracurricular activities whereby I assumed a position of responsibility?
No - not every extra curricular has to be a position of responsibility.

Extra curriculars can show other qualities that doesn’t come with “responsibility”. For instance, the chess can show analytical thinking and if time was dedicated to it, then either commitment or time management.

However, it is good to try and show positions of responsibility at the same time. This shows you like to take responsibility on, not just for your benefit but for others too, so if you can have a balance (as you will with the captain position), then it’s good to demonstrate this if you can.

Reactions: NaimK

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021

The way that the question is worded tells me that while you can mention any extra curricular activity, irrespective of whether a position of responsibility was attached to it, that they would like to hear only about those positions of responsibility that are related to some of the extra curriculars you mention in your answer. So technically, the number of extracurriculars you write about could be greater than the positions of responsibility you mention. Does that make sense?

lawcurious

Distinguished Member
Nov 23, 2021
Does anybody have any tips for the Howard Kennedy VI? I cant find a lot of information online so not sure what to expect... it says it'll take no more than 40 mins so I'm assuming a mix of types of questions but still unsure how to prep

JohnDoeTCLA

Feb 6, 2022
Hi all

I’m in my penultimate year studying law this year and applied mainly to Vac Schemes. I’ll be doing a couple of them this year and I’m now checking direct TC applications. I’m noticing that a lot of firms have been recruiting for their 2024 intake (which is the year I’m due to start training; ie complete my SQE) on the last cycle (the same cycle in which I’ve applied to vac schemes).
I thought the usual process was 1. Apply to vac schemes in your second year and 2. Apply to TCs in your third year but it seems like this isn’t the case since applying to TCs in my third year (this coming recruitment cycle) will mean applying for 2025 intakes. Can anyone confirm when students generally apply to direct TCs?

Also, a lot of firms recruit solely via their vac schemes so I was wondering whether anyone had a list (or even just a few) of firms that provide a direct TC route?

Thanks!

NaimK

Valued Member
May 6, 2019
No - not every extra curricular has to be a position of responsibility.

Extra curriculars can show other qualities that doesn’t come with “responsibility”. For instance, the chess can show analytical thinking and if time was dedicated to it, then either commitment or time management.

However, it is good to try and show positions of responsibility at the same time. This shows you like to take responsibility on, not just for your benefit but for others too, so if you can have a balance (as you will with the captain position), then it’s good to demonstrate this if you can.
The way that the question is worded tells me that while you can mention any extra curricular activity, irrespective of whether a position of responsibility was attached to it, that they would like to hear only about those positions of responsibility that are related to some of the extra curriculars you mention in your answer. So technically, the number of extracurriculars you write about could be greater than the positions of responsibility you mention. Does that make sense?

Makes sense. Thank you both, as always.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Makes sense. Thank you both, as always.
I also agree that this question is looking for your extra-curricular activities primarily and in theory 'any positions of responsibility you've held as part of these' could equal zero positions of responsibility (although that would certainly not be the strongest answer). In my view, the positions of responsibility form the icing to the cake where the cake is your extra-curriculars in general 😊

Last edited:
Reactions: AvniD and NaimK

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hi all

I’m in my penultimate year studying law this year and applied mainly to Vac Schemes. I’ll be doing a couple of them this year and I’m now checking direct TC applications. I’m noticing that a lot of firms have been recruiting for their 2024 intake (which is the year I’m due to start training; ie complete my SQE) on the last cycle (the same cycle in which I’ve applied to vac schemes).
I thought the usual process was 1. Apply to vac schemes in your second year and 2. Apply to TCs in your third year but it seems like this isn’t the case since applying to TCs in my third year (this coming recruitment cycle) will mean applying for 2025 intakes. Can anyone confirm when students generally apply to direct TCs?

Also, a lot of firms recruit solely via their vac schemes so I was wondering whether anyone had a list (or even just a few) of firms that provide a direct TC route?

Thanks!
Hi @JohnDoeTCLA, my understanding is that certain firms (like some of the Magic Circle) operate a process as you've described where candidates apply for vac schemes in their second year and direct TCs in their third year, but the vast majority of firms which have direct TC routes have them open in the same cycle as their vac scheme route. This would mean that final-year non-law students, penultimate-year law students or graduates (but not penultimate-year non-law students) can apply for most firms either by the vacation scheme or training contract route within any given cycle. In fact, you can find a list of firms which allows candidates who were unsuccessful for the vacation scheme to apply subsequently for the direct TC here - credit to @Adrian_S!

Usually you can apply for firms either via the vac scheme route or via the direct TC route, although many firms leave fewer spaces available for the direct TC route since they fill them in the summer after they have already assessed all the vacation scheme students. You can find which firms take decent numbers of candidates from the direct TC route here!

I hope this is useful :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaysen and Adrian_S

anon123456789

Valued Member
  • Oct 25, 2021
    Hi all, so I'm applying for a TC where the majority of the application is a cover letter. They say the *maximum* word count is 1000 words which to me seem a fair bit- do we think I have to utilise the full 1000? or would it be better to go in at 750-800?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all, so I'm applying for a TC where the majority of the application is a cover letter. They say the *maximum* word count is 1000 words which to me seem a fair bit- do we think I have to utilise the full 1000? or would it be better to go in at 750-800?
    I think using roughly 800 words is fine. I wouldn't go much below this though, unless you feel there is a lot being repeated in other application questions.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    I'd keep it to at least 900 but if you feel like you've added everything substantive that you could and there is no room to bring in any other competency or motivation to support your application then around 800 should be fine too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.