TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirene

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 2, 2022
Just received a call for a first round interview at Paul Hastings! For people who are still waiting, I was told they’re hoping to do first round interviews Thursday and Friday this week, and potentially Monday and Tuesday next week depending on people’s availability so they should be getting back to people soon!
Congrats for the interview invite! Just wondering if you had your interview already if you did how did it go and was it in person? I havent heard back yet so I'm guessing it's a rejection but still wondering how it went for you :))

JadeWadey01

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 9, 2022
This is really reassuring, thank you so much :)
Feels like I bungled them so badly to the point I'm embarrassed GR has to see them haha, fingers crossed they come across a bit better when replayed!
Don't worry. I thought I bungled my interview at WBD. I left wanting to cry but I was just offered a Tc for them! Sometimes our brains make us criticise ourselves so much to the point we think negatively of our experiences.

BM99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 12, 2021
Does FF get back to people on a rolling basis or are they waiting to interview everyone first? Because if it is the latter, iirc ACs only wrap up in the 3rd week of September
I guess they get back to people on a rolling basis. I know a candidate who is currently working at Freshfields and she mentioned that grad recruitment said they aim to get back to candidates within 1-2 weeks.

law12

Oct 28, 2021
I have a written exercise coming up for an AC. Is anyone able to share what firms are looking for when doing a written exercise or the best way to approach it, like for example one that requires you to analyse different options for a client. I don't just want to copy the wording from the information pack into the client letter, so is it best to do something such as analyse the strengths and weaknesses of each option. Any insight would be great, thank you!

sa174m

• Jul 3, 2022
    I have a written exercise coming up for an AC. Is anyone able to share what firms are looking for when doing a written exercise or the best way to approach it, like for example one that requires you to analyse different options for a client. I don't just want to copy the wording from the information pack into the client letter, so is it best to do something such as analyse the strengths and weaknesses of each option. Any insight would be great, thank you!
    I always use the PESTLE or SWOT analysis for written exercises. Also, I memorize the firm's practice areas and incorporate how each department can help the client with their issue. Hope this helps x

NaimK

Valued Member
    May 6, 2019
    Anyone have any tips/advice for Freshfields' analytical interview specifically? It's one of the AC components and I know it's usually based on a FT or Economist article. Any further insight would be appreciated.

YJ

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    Anyone have any tips/advice for Freshfields' analytical interview specifically? It's one of the AC components and I know it's usually based on a FT or Economist article. Any further insight would be appreciated.
    Read as many FT and Economist articles as you can! Not only will this help you become familiar with the writing style but it will also expose you to current topics that you can cross reference in your interview.

Be familiar with reading and making notes on an article in 30 minutes - SWOT, PESTLE, summary etc

Try not to just say I don't know - always say I am not entirely sure but X etc

Figure out what any key words in the article mean as they may ask you to define some

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Read as many FT and Economist articles as you can! Not only will this help you become familiar with the writing style but it will also expose you to current topics that you can cross reference in your interview.

Be familiar with reading and making notes on an article in 30 minutes - SWOT, PESTLE, summary etc

Try not to just say I don't know - always say I am not entirely sure but X etc

Figure out what any key words in the article mean as they may ask you to define some
    I wouldn’t say “read” as many as you can - but I think it’s worthwhile picking out a reasonable number of them (say 4-6) and then reading and analysing them. Reading them alone won’t really help, but ensuring you analyse them in a short timeframe (eg 30 minutes) like you would do in the interview is more helpful.

• 🏆
    Reactions: AvniD and NaimK

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hello all! It’s good to see some familiar names still around and really exciting to have new members.

I am about to enter my third proper cycle. Last year started off brilliantly. Almost all my apps progressed to test or VI stage. I was disciplined and motivated and kicking ass. And then my parent had a major health scare, I had to rush to their country to support them and I failed every VI.

I sort of stepped away from this process for the past 6 months. I am a career changer but had stayed at a job I’d outgrown while applying for TC. I decided I’d had enough so set aside this process, and instead applied for and have now begun a governance role in a financial services firm. So, now refreshed, I’m back.

If you’ve stayed with me for this long, thank you and here’s my question: how do I reapply to those firms where I got through the application stage. I know I need to practice and do better at VI but my apps were really good and were successful. Obviously I can update them re my new job but apart from that not much has changed. I still want a career in law for the same reasons as before; my feelings towards the firms, which were well-bolstered by research and attending events, remain steady. Any tips on how to refresh my applications?

Thank you so much!
    Hi @Veep9- it's so good to see you post again! Congratulations on securing a governance role and well done on taking a break and stepping away to focus on your family and yourself- being self assured enough to do this is not only a commendable trait but also a rare one.

In terms of reapplying to those firms where you got through the application stage, your application answers could be rephrased and rewritten so that your motivations come across as being detailed, more developed and based on deeper knowledge about commercial law and the firm as well. You could attend more recent events with the firm as well to showcase your continuing interest.

A key point here is to reflect on your break and your new role to convey how your skills and character traits have developed in the face of these key events since your last application cycle. How have these events impacted your resilience, ability to prioritise, take initiative etc.? How have you been able to hone your teamwork, attention to detail, organisation, communication skills through your current job? How can you link your current role in financial services to your work as a commercial solicitor? How has your current role taught you the value of prioritising your client's interests and how can this translate into your work in commercial law?

Thinking about these questions and tailoring your application accordingly will undoubtedly help you make more distinct applications from the last cycle. Wishing you the very best!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jaysen and Veep9
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.