TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCN

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 20, 2020
Yeah it really sucks but their direct TC was a bit of a mess this year. I received no response for months until today and they just sent a generic email when they'd actually just filled up spaces
Hi, I did my AC last month and haven't heard back since then - if they've filled all their spaces, I'm guessing PFO?

LokieLow

Feb 12, 2022
Got a Freshfields' AC invite 3 weeks after completing the WG. Pretty much had zero expectation so was a nice surprise! For those waiting to hear back, don't give up!!

Embarassingly, this is my first ever AC invite despite applying for numerous cycles now. Any advice/tips greatly appreciated.

gigglingsquid

Oct 30, 2021
Hi, I did my AC last month and haven't heard back since then - if they've filled all their spaces, I'm guessing PFO?
I'm not entirely sure if its the same for those who've had ACs sorry. I assumed it meant that they've given out all the ACs since they filled out all the spots for that. Maybe reach out to grad rec?

sa174m

• Jul 3, 2022
    Hey guys,

I don't know whether I am overthinking what I do/ how I normally answer, but is the question 'why law'

i) why do you want a career in commercial law?
    ii) what attracted you to law in general?
    iii) (for a career changer like myself) why law now and the change from your previous career in accounting?

Should I ask for clarification? Or do they mean they simply mean (i)

Thanks in advance!
    I think (i) depends on the type of firm. I personally feel like it really works well for me when I answer 'why law' with some personal story and what made me realize that this is the right field for me. For example, the fact that it is a service-industry and the human interaction. Definitely talk about why you decided to change careers, what type of development will Law give you that accounting didn't. Definitely don't keep it general (they will forget you if it is general).

I once made a Partner laugh by saying that I appointed myself as a mediator during family debates and he thought it was funny that it was the reason I thought I'd be a good lawyer. Always just try to make it personal!

• Love
    • 🏆
    Reactions: AvniD and sxw517

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey guys,

I don't know whether I am overthinking what I do/ how I normally answer, but is the question 'why law'

i) why do you want a career in commercial law?
    ii) what attracted you to law in general?
    iii) (for a career changer like myself) why law now and the change from your previous career in accounting?

Should I ask for clarification? Or do they mean they simply mean (i)

Thanks in advance!
    Do you mean in an application or at interview (as my advice would be slightly different depending on the answer)?

kr253

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 20, 2021
    I am beyond delighted to have accepted a TC offer with WBD 🎉🍾

I have been a long time lurker and semi frequent poster on TCLA, but I am so grateful for the community here - just knowing other people are going through the same thing has been invaluable!

This was my third cycle and I am a career changer, and I was lucky enough to receive FOUR TC offers through direct TC applications this cycle. I thought it might be useful to pay something back to this community and explain the main changes I made this cycle that meant I was able to be so successful...

Firstly it may sound obvious but one of the biggest things I changed was the firms I was applying to. I thought much harder about what I actually wanted from a career in commercial law, and what I wanted from the firms I was applying to. For me, this meant prioritising work/life balance, culture and location, as well as firms' sector expertise. Looking back, my PFOs in my first few cycles were blessings in disguise - I would have hated working at those firms!

The other HUGE thing that I changed was getting legal work experience. As a career changer, I went into my first few cycles a bit naively assuming that my incredibly useful and transferrable work experience in a totally different industry would be recognised as such by firms, but I got strings of PFOs that left me sure that some of my applications weren't even being read since I couldn't tick a "legal work experience" box. After getting a paralegal role, I progressed to AC in 100% of my apps this cycle. I know there are some on this forum who don't think legal experience is necessary, and in principle I agree, but paralegalling was the biggest game changer in my applications!

Sorry for the long post but just to add that this isn't intended to be bragging in any way, I just hope it's helpful to some people who are in the same position I was in this time last year! I will be sticking around TCLA if anyone has any qs!

JadeWadey01

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 9, 2022

I have been a long time lurker and semi frequent poster on TCLA, but I am so grateful for the community here - just knowing other people are going through the same thing has been invaluable!

This was my third cycle and I am a career changer, and I was lucky enough to receive FOUR TC offers through direct TC applications this cycle. I thought it might be useful to pay something back to this community and explain the main changes I made this cycle that meant I was able to be so successful...

Firstly it may sound obvious but one of the biggest things I changed was the firms I was applying to. I thought much harder about what I actually wanted from a career in commercial law, and what I wanted from the firms I was applying to. For me, this meant prioritising work/life balance, culture and location, as well as firms' sector expertise. Looking back, my PFOs in my first few cycles were blessings in disguise - I would have hated working at those firms!

The other HUGE thing that I changed was getting legal work experience. As a career changer, I went into my first few cycles a bit naively assuming that my incredibly useful and transferrable work experience in a totally different industry would be recognised as such by firms, but I got strings of PFOs that left me sure that some of my applications weren't even being read since I couldn't tick a "legal work experience" box. After getting a paralegal role, I progressed to AC in 100% of my apps this cycle. I know there are some on this forum who don't think legal experience is necessary, and in principle I agree, but paralegalling was the biggest game changer in my applications!

Sorry for the long post but just to add that this isn't intended to be bragging in any way, I just hope it's helpful to some people who are in the same position I was in this time last year! I will be sticking around TCLA if anyone has any qs!
    Yay congratulations! What office is it for?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

This is amazing news - congratulations on not only starting your career with WBD but also all the other success you have had this cycle.

david tennant applause GIF

• 🤝
    Reactions: Alison C, AvniD and kr253

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Hello all! It’s good to see some familiar names still around and really exciting to have new members.

I am about to enter my third proper cycle. Last year started off brilliantly. Almost all my apps progressed to test or VI stage. I was disciplined and motivated and kicking ass. And then my parent had a major health scare, I had to rush to their country to support them and I failed every VI.

I sort of stepped away from this process for the past 6 months. I am a career changer but had stayed at a job I’d outgrown while applying for TC. I decided I’d had enough so set aside this process, and instead applied for and have now begun a governance role in a financial services firm. So, now refreshed, I’m back.

If you’ve stayed with me for this long, thank you and here’s my question: how do I reapply to those firms where I got through the application stage. I know I need to practice and do better at VI but my apps were really good and were successful. Obviously I can update them re my new job but apart from that not much has changed. I still want a career in law for the same reasons as before; my feelings towards the firms, which were well-bolstered by research and attending events, remain steady. Any tips on how to refresh my applications?

Thank you so much!

imdeded

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2022
    Just bombed the W&C VI :/

Do you guys think it's seen really badly when the recording cuts off during near the end of your answer?
    hey, i did the w&c vi for the vac scheme earlier this year and progressed to ac despite my first answer being cut off mid sentence, my second answer being half the allotted time length, and part of my answers being a nervous jumbled mess. so don't worry too much - as long as the content is good they don't mind!

samni

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 2, 2020
    hey, i did the w&c vi for the vac scheme earlier this year and progressed to ac despite my first answer being cut off mid sentence, my second answer being half the allotted time length, and part of my answers being a nervous jumbled mess. so don't worry too much - as long as the content is good they don't mind!
    This is really reassuring, thank you so much :)
    Feels like I bungled them so badly to the point I'm embarrassed GR has to see them haha, fingers crossed they come across a bit better when replayed!

• 🤝
    Reactions: imdeded
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.