TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denver

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 20, 2020
Kirkland instituted NEP route because people were complaining about career progression and leaving for partnership at other firms but most of those who made the "automatic" partnership got there from billing not having a book - they are not profitable to give equity at other V10 firms or Kirkland. IDK about them leaving the profession though but it would be a corollary.

Every top US firm is going to heavily guard equity and even DPW just moved away from lockstep a couple years back. But yes, other US firms have NEP roles just like most firms because "progression". From the outside it is often hard to tell who has equity too. I think Kirkland is somewhat exceptional in that they give out partner at 7PQE is it?
Yeah I agree you can work there and never have a book. But what stood out to me is that the NEP is offered so early that most other firms won’t take them as partners but only as associates (which is obvs a career downgrade). It just made me question the market value of NEPs at K&E vs other firms NEPs. I’ll share the article if I can find it

Last edited:
Reactions: newtothis

thoms

Star Member
  • Apr 29, 2023
    Hi all,
    It looks like Hogan Lovells are reopening TC applications from June - July this year. Does anyone know if this is for a different year? They were also open at the start of this year. Is it worth reapplying if rejected this cycle?
    it is specifically for the 2025 intake. I believe in January it was 2024/2025 ( that's what the graduate recruitment team told me ). For instance, I would have to complete PGDL + SQE, therefore the sooner I can start my TC is in 2025 and not before.

p272

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 18, 2023
    Congratulations! Is this for Withers direct TC application? Also when did you get through to the online tests and then hear back about the invitation to interview? Thanks in advance!
    Hi.

Yes for the Direct TC application.

I believe I applied in Feb, did the online tests beginning of April and then invited to interview last week.

Reactions: Emilia

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Hi Guys ! I am sharing my list of firms to apply for direct TC. Does anyone can give insight about which firms recruit a good portion from direct TC, and worth focusing on its application. This will be helpful
    Ashurst (TC 31/03) (Done)
    Goodwin (TC 31/05) (Done)
    BCLP (TC 31/05)
    Dentons (TC 15/06) Rolling
    Eversheds Sutherland (TC 25/06) Non rolling
    Fried Frank (TC 30/06) Rolling
    Vinson & Elkins (TC 30/06) Non-rolling (No need to apply)
    Withers (TC 30/06)
    Kirkland & Ellis (TC 02/07)
    Watson Farely & Williams (TC 03/07) (Rolling)
    Freshfields (TC 07/07) (Non-rolling)
    Norton Rose Fulbright (TC 09/07) (Non-rolling)
    Sullivan & Cromwell (TC 14/07)
    White & Case (TC 16/07)
    Weil Gotshal & Manges (TC 31/07)
    Cleary Gottlieb (TC 31/07)
    Travers Smith (TC 31/08)
    I'm curious as to why you've marked 'no need to apply' for V&E; I'm in the midst of preparing my cover letter and was wondering if there's something you're aware of that I'm not!

19vanessat

Feb 23, 2022
    Is it worth applying to a firm (in this case Dentons) about a month before their rolling TC application closes? It's fairly large and takes quite a good % of trainees from direct TC route... Or would I be better off focusing on other applications? Any advice would be appreciated!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.