Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
with regard to the white & case direct application - the section that asks "please give details of any interests and extra-curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility or achievements." is separate from the covering letter

should i treat this as the area to put my "why me" section from my covering letter? or still include a why me section in the letter? seems like theres a lot of crossover and not sure what would be different between the two
No - this wouldn’t be a “why me” section - this is more of a factual representation of what you have done within these categories.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker , sorry for too many questions today. Could you please tell me:

1. In an interview, if we are asked a particular question, what should we do if we realise in the middle that our answer is incorrect/does not really answer the question?

2. What should we do if we cannot think of an answer at all?

Thanks in advance.

Marco Polo

Dec 2, 2022
Has anyone heard back from Withers post final AC?
Just out of curiosity, when did you have your interview and the AC? I had mine on the 4th and they told me it's going to be a couple of weeks for them to gey back to me so I was wondering how much do people wait between the stages. So far, for me, it was 2 days between the submission of the form and the test and then a week between the test and the interview invite (2 weeks between the test and the interview itself).

islay6_5

Standard Member
Feb 9, 2023
Just out of curiosity, when did you have your interview and the AC? I had mine on the 4th and they told me it's going to be a couple of weeks for them to gey back to me so I was wondering how much do people wait between the stages. So far, for me, it was 2 days between the submission of the form and the test and then a week between the test and the interview invite (2 weeks between the test and the interview itself).
My AC was on the 29th June

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker , sorry for too many questions today. Could you please tell me:

1. In an interview, if we are asked a particular question, what should we do if we realise in the middle that our answer is incorrect/does not really answer the question?

2. What should we do if we cannot think of an answer at all?

Thanks in advance.
1) Acknowledge you recognise this, and get your answer back on track as quickly as possible

2) it is always much better to give the answer a go rather than say “I don’t know”. You will probably have some ideas or how to answer it even if you don’t have an actual answer. However, some delaying tactics (depending on how stuck on the answer you are) are:

- take a sip of water - gives you some time to think albeit very briefly
- to ask for some time to think about the answer
- to ask your interviewer for further details or explanation of the question, even if it’s you checking what you think they mean
- to ask your interviewer if you can come back to the question later on in the interview
- try to answer the question even if it is just to talk about the components of the answer you do understand, and then ask whether the interviewer can provide more insight from their perspective as you are not 100% sure of other elements.
- try to keep your language positive - for instance saying “I don’t know a lot about this topic” is framing it negatively while saying “My strength in terms of knowledge is more in the X area/topic, but if I consider different factors I would think…” is framing your answer in a much more positive way.

legally.brown

Legendary Member
  • Sep 27, 2021
    Planning to apply to Paul Hastings.. However, I am not familiar with them. My research so far shows that they are ranked in Band 2 for Banking & Finance: Lenders: Big-Ticket..
    Can someone please confirm this?
    I am also pretty confused as to what exactly they do under Lenders: Big - Ticket (Banking & Finance).. If someone could explain that will be great !! Thank you 😊

futureTS2025hopeful

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 23, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker, just had a quick question. What’s the protocol for following up with a firm after a Vac scheme? How long should I wait after the scheme has ended to wait for results? And if it’s past that period what’s the best way to ask for an update? Phone, email or through my trainee buddy? Thanks!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.