TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2020
Im feeling burnt out... Is anyone else struggling as well?
I've got months worth of FT to catch up on, a task to complete by the end of the week, and probably an invitation to another task on the way.
I should be grateful that my cycle hasnt ended by now but I just cant find the motivation to do them. This is absurd cause I would have loved to do all these when I was busy writing applications.
Its the end of the cycle and I feel like I'm almost there, but dont know how I am going to get through the next few weeks😫

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hey everyone!

I have received an invite to Addleshaw Goddard 's (AG 's) assessment centre (AC).

I was wondering if anyone had any insights or tips on preparing for it. I am incredibly nervous as it is the first AC I have secured.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)
Congratulations on obtaining your first assessment centre, this is such an amazing achievement and you should be so proud of yourself for everything you have done so far and the effort you have put in!

I have shared some tips on this post for assessment centres in general and I hope you find it helpful: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-167210

Good luck with the assessment and congratulations once again!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
- Interest rates
- ESG
- Private equity changes (fundraising and structuring)
- UK election + international conflicts

These are the only ones I could think off the top of my head!
Thank you for sharing these, I think these are exactly the same ones I would have shared too. I am sure this will be very helpful to people in general that are going through interviews and assessment centres now so thank you so much!

• 🤝
Reactions: Legalstalker

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I think I’ve hit rock bottom…. dreaming of potential interview questions and waking up in a fright🤣I think it’s time to start auctioning my organs…..anyone have insight to Goodwin interview? You’ll have first dibs xox
(Disease free)
Hey @Legalstalker,

Congratulations on obtaining an interview with Goodwin. Here is a link to the post where I shared some tips on the Goodwin interview. I hope this is helpful: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-164503

I have mentored and talked to many candidates with the interview invite in the last couple of weeks and they found these tips really helpful and accurate so I hope they can be useful to you too.

Best of luck and congratulations again!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I'll add onto that

- Legal recruitment, of course NQ salaries have skyrocketed in the last 10 years, but particularly those in PE are becoming extremely expensive. As an example Neel Sachdev, a PE partner, was lured from K&E to Paul Weiss for a reported 20 million a year. In terms of pay, this is a battle that US firms are winning and will win easily, UK firms can't compete, so they have to look for other ways to attract the top talent as relative to the below point, the more talented a lawyer = more efficient time spent on matters = more profit.

- At the same time as salaries going up, clients are becoming ever more demanding on reducing costs, through software such as persuit, or by demanding alternative fee arrangements rather than traditional hourly billing. This has meant that many firms, mainly MC and US are pricing themselves out of a lot of work as it is no longer worth their time/reputation to do such work, therefore limiting themselves on the size/type of work that they do and meaning a lot of firms are fighting over an ever more exclusive amount of work.
Really great insights @J53, these are great points to reflect on and think about too!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
AI: lots of firms are collaborating with tech companies to create their own AI tools to help clients & the new EU AI law that’s coming out. Data privacy/cybersecurity in the context of AI is also worth reading into.

Expansion: some firms are looking to open new offices across the globe and it may be worth researching where would be best for the firm you’re applying to. You can bring in commercial knowledge here through your research.

D&I: not sure if you’ve seen the discourse on this forum about diversity but firms are talking about it more so it would be worth looking into as well. Particularly their own individual initiatives and having an answer as to why diversity is important in the legal profession.

Would also be worth knowing who that firm’s competitors are, what their client offering is and why the firm you have applied to is “better”.

Other topics: Israel/Hamas, the transition from private equity to private credit, energy/natural resources & ESG, understanding the business cycle, how an M&A transaction works etc.

Everything I’ve mentioned is based on my experience at ACs, interviews and on my applications!
Great points added here @aspiringlawyer47 thanks for sharing, these are really good!

• 🏆
Reactions: aspiringlawyer47

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hogan Lovells rejection post-AC😭 I don’t know what’s wrong with me
Despite my best efforts, it seems like I consistently struggle to advance past this particular stage in the recruitment process. Every time, I go in feeling prepared and come out thinking I've done okay, only to be met with disappointment.
I can't help but feel a bit lost as to how I can improve or what it is that I'm missing.
I am so sorry for this @bella98, this is very relatable for a lot of people especially this application cycle and I think it is important to reflect on your experiences and what you have learned from those rejections. Additionally, asking for feedback and try to understand it will be very beneficial to comprehend how you come across. Sometimes our perception of how an interview goes might not be the reality and it is totally fine. I think that where you show growth and perseverance is in trying to work on ameliorating yourself and take in the feedback given.

I am sorry for the situation you are now but as cliché as it sounds, rejections are redirections and I am a firm believer in that and so it might be that your law firm is still out there waiting for you. Keep working really hard and have your goals in your mind and you will see that everything will work out in the end.

Good luck with the process!

Reactions: Marissa and Sharon Wu

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
If I withdrew my application from a first-years scheme at a firm, will this be a disadvantage for when I apply to their vac scheme next year?

@Jessica Booker
I personally do not think this will be the case. I would just be very appreciative of the opportunity and express your interest in the firm and that you would like to apply again.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, I am submitting an application to a firm's Dubai office for their placement scheme. On the website it says the firm pays for accommodation for those not resident in Dubai. So I am assuming that they also sponsor the visa (for internship) given they are clearly accepting applications from non-residents? Do you think it's worth still getting in touch and asking. The firm's not been super responsive and the deadline is nearing so I don't know if it's best waiting for a response before starting writing my application. Thank you!
I would email to confirm this because offering to provide accommodation does not mean being able to sponsor visas. For instance, I have done a vacation scheme last year and the firm was providing accommodation for the people outside of London but did not sponsor visas (and I was an international student so I did ask this beforehand). I would email and get confirmation from them.

Reactions: Miss Chocolate

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
When talking a firm deal that interests me, must the deal be involved in the practice area that the firm is really strong in? Or is it sufficient that it interested me?
Pick something that you genuinely can talk about for a long time and that you would not mind be asked questions on. Ideally, since you applied to the firm, you should be interested in what they work on but that does not have to be directly linked in any capacity.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Offer from Birketts!

I havent been posting here for a while but oh my what a slog the TC and VS processes have been post graduation!

I'm just about to move from a high street paralegal role into a National/City firm and now I'm over the moon with the offer from Birketts.
Congratulations!!

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
I would email to confirm this because offering to provide accommodation does not mean being able to sponsor visas. For instance, I have done a vacation scheme last year and the firm was providing accommodation for the people outside of London but did not sponsor visas (and I was an international student so I did ask this beforehand). I would email and get confirmation from them.
Can I ask what you did about the visa situation? Thank you, Axel!

ellabasing

Standard Member
Premium Member
Dec 27, 2023
Does anyone have any tips on the Stephenson Harwood application question that asks for a summary of an article on the sustainability of yachting? Should it be broken down into different sections with bullet points or just in simple paragraphs?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.