Allen & Overy SJT

Frank

Valued Member
Dec 12, 2018
I've felt compelled to intervene given that I was in the same situation.

Although I sat the SJT (and passed them btw last year), I didn't get an email shortly afterwards confirming if I passed it or not. I didn't have any news for two weeks.

I called HR and confirmed that they had some issues with Amberjack ever since the TC applications opened on 3rd August. After they checked my personal details, they said that it's nothing to worry about (the SJT is alright) and my application is under review now.

Don't panic if you're in the same situation as an avalanche of emails won't help either; also, some people just came back from the holidays and need time to catch up with everything.

Rest assured that technical glitches aren't meant to affect your application. If there's a technical problem indeed and you did nothing wrong, there's nothing to worry about. Give them some breathing space - they'll get back to you asap :) Good luck to everybody!

Reactions: OB

laurab13

Standard Member
Aug 19, 2020
Hi! I applied for the Winter Vac Scheme on Thursday and have not received the STJ link. Yesterday, I emailed GR but have received no reply. Concerned as the deadline is drawing nearer and nearer. On my application portal it says, “I am pleased to confirm that your application is currently in the process of being reviewed and we will be in contact with you as soon as possible” but no STJ date of completion - should there be? Should I give them a call on Monday @Jessica Booker ? Is there anyway you could help me out? Thank you so much

• ℹ️
Reactions: Jaysen

Esteemed Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hi! I applied for the Winter Vac Scheme on Thursday and have not received the STJ link. Yesterday, I emailed GR but have received no reply. Concerned as the deadline is drawing nearer and nearer. On my application portal it says, “I am pleased to confirm that your application is currently in the process of being reviewed and we will be in contact with you as soon as possible” but no STJ date of completion - should there be? Should I give them a call on Monday @Jessica Booker ? Is there anyway you could help me out? Thank you so much
did you apply last year? I think people who applied last year and took the test previously are experiencing this problem. If you dont hear anything till Monday/tuesday maybe ring them up? The deadline is in October so you do have time.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Have you completed the SJT in the last 24 months for another vacancy?

Star Member
Sep 4, 2019
My SJT crashed halfway through earlier and would not let me submit. The email it was sent with says if this happens 'please contact .' and it's a no-reply email. Has anyone had any experience of this? I've emailed grad rec with a screenshot and I'm waiting to hear back. Would I be allowed to retake it and would I have to do it from the beginning? I've applied for 2022 and the total deadline is Sunday, but I also have a lot on tomorrow so not sure if I'd be able to complete it by the 48hour deadline from receiving the first test.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
My SJT crashed halfway through earlier and would not let me submit. The email it was sent with says if this happens 'please contact .' and it's a no-reply email. Has anyone had any experience of this? I've emailed grad rec with a screenshot and I'm waiting to hear back. Would I be allowed to retake it and would I have to do it from the beginning? I've applied for 2022 and the total deadline is Sunday, but I also have a lot on tomorrow so not sure if I'd be able to complete it by the 48hour deadline from receiving the first test.

more than likely the test will be reset and you will be able to take it again. You will need to do it from scratch most likely though. You’ll deadline will be extended until the same period of time once the test is reset.

Reactions: 003

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I had the same problem re. not receiving the SJT - but applied last year and got rejected after interview. Not sure if that means if I don't need to do it? A&O Grad Recruitment not responding.

I don’t know unfortunately - it is a guess based on the random posts/comments, I think they just take your old score.

Star Member
Sep 4, 2019
more than likely the test will be reset and you will be able to take it again. You will need to do it from scratch most likely though. You’ll deadline will be extended until the same period of time once the test is reset.
Thank you Jess. I haven't heard back from grad rec and tomorrow is the last working day for them to send it before the deadline on Sunday. Do you think it would be ok to call them if I haven't received it by tomorrow morning?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you Jess. I haven't heard back from grad rec and tomorrow is the last working day for them to send it before the deadline on Sunday. Do you think it would be ok to call them if I haven't received it by tomorrow morning?

yes - give them a call. There’s little point emailing again and with the deadline this weekend, makes sense to call them.

H.N.

Distinguished Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 22
Jul 28, 2020
After getting confirmation of passing the SJT, has anybody heard back whether they've passed the application review?

Passing the application review will either consist of a rejection or AC invite- if you applied for a winter vac or 2022 TC you're likely to hear back in the next couple of weeks or so. If you applied for a summer vac, you'll be waiting a little longer.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Thank you, I called and unfortunately, they can not resend it. Gutted really after spending so long on the application, and I think it means I can't apply for a year too now.
    That seems really odd imo. I've had a few issues with tests when I was applying and every firm just resent the link/gave me another link to complete the test on so this approach from A&O seems very surprising... did they say why they can't?

Reactions: Zoo and NadineBusty

Star Member
    Sep 4, 2019
    That seems really odd imo. I've had a few issues with tests when I was applying and every firm just resent the link/gave me another link to complete the test on so this approach from A&O seems very surprising... did they say why they can't?
    Thanks, no they didn't say why they just said, unfortunately, there is nothing they can do. And asked me to send the screenshot again so they can pass it to IT to flag it for future issues (or something along those lines). I was shocked so I just said thanks I'll email it. I've asked in the email if it means I can't reapply for a year too.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.