General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Wondering if anyone has heard back from BCLP? I submitted my application end September and haven't heard anything ever since. Anyone in a similar situation?
    I’m in the same position! From a virtual open day I went to for them in August they said they’d start reviewing applications at the start of November so hopefully we’ll hear soon!

Reactions: 0603

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Hi guys :) has anyone got any suggestions of how to get legal work experience aside from vac schemes? I’m lacking in that area & feel like it’ll really help my application

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    Bullet points for a CV - you need your CV to be easily skim read and paragraphs won’t allow you to do that.
    That makes sense, thank you. Would you also suggest using elliptical language as opposed to full sentences? E.g. "Sat on X Committee. Conducted Y and Z" instead of "I sat on the Committee of X, which gave me the chance to conduct Y and Z".

Also, unrelated matter, but I've been trying (to no success) to reach my academic references whom I usually list on my applications. They agreed to be my references for applications back in 2018/19, but I haven't been in touch with them since, and now I'm worried they wouldn't respond if a firm asked them for a reference since they're not answering my emails or calls.

When do firms typically check an applicant's references (if at all)? What if a referee doesn't respond? Do you reckon firms might be more forgiving with that now that it's hard to get in touch with our referees since we can't exactly just walk into their office and ask them in person?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    That makes sense, thank you. Would you also suggest using elliptical language as opposed to full sentences? E.g. "Sat on X Committee. Conducted Y and Z" instead of "I sat on the Committee of X, which gave me the chance to conduct Y and Z".

Also, unrelated matter, but I've been trying (to no success) to reach my academic references whom I usually list on my applications. They agreed to be my references for applications back in 2018/19, but I haven't been in touch with them since, and now I'm worried they wouldn't respond if a firm asked them for a reference since they're not answering my emails or calls.

When do firms typically check an applicant's references (if at all)? What if a referee doesn't respond? Do you reckon firms might be more forgiving with that now that it's hard to get in touch with our referees since we can't exactly just walk into their office and ask them in person?

“which gave me a chance” would be verbose/unnecessary even in full sentences. I sat on the Committee of X and conducted Y and Z" would be much better.

But in a CV with bullet points your sentences don’t have to be in full prose.

References vary between firms. Some ask pre invitation to interview, while they are still considering your application. Some request it once you are invited to interview, others will only ask once they know they will make you an offer.

If they cannot get a response from your referee they will either make a decision without it, or will contact you to let you know and see if you can provide alternative contact details. Often it’s just a case of verifying your module grades, so putting them in contact with your faculties office who can provide an official transcript can be sufficient. I don’t think firms will be more lenient though.

Last edited:

bethbristol

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Oct 30, 2019
    I was also in the 59th percentile in the WG, digger started going off outside my window as soon as I pressed start! (still not that good at them though) Do you know if you can still proceed with a mark like that if they like your application?
    I got 59th percentile in my WG with them last year and was invited to interview so they definitely look at your whole application holistically :)

Reactions: j2134

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    “which gave me a chance” would be verbose/unnecessary even in full sentences. I sat on the Committee of X and conducted Y and Z" would be much better.

But in a CV with bullet points your sentences don’t have to be in full prose.

References vary between firms. Some ask pre invitation to interview, while they are still considering your application. Some request it once you are invited to interview, others will only ask once they know they will make you an offer.

If they cannot get a response from your referee they will either make a decision without it, or will contact you to let you know and see if you can provide alternative contact details. Often it’s just a case of verifying your module grades, so putting them in contact with your faculties office who can provide an official transcript can be sufficient. I don’t think firms will be more lenient though.
    I see, so in case I'm having trouble reaching my referees, would you suggest listing anyone from my faculties office as a referee who can provide details of my grades (basically anybody working in the admissions department or similar)? Or would it be better to only provide those contacts IF a firm contacts me about not being able to reach my initial referee?

Also, thanks for the points re the CV, I'll keep them in mind!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I see, so in case I'm having trouble reaching my referees, would you suggest listing anyone from my faculties office as a referee who can provide details of my grades (basically anybody working in the admissions department or similar)? Or would it be better to only provide those contacts IF a firm contacts me about not being able to reach my initial referee?

Also, thanks for the points re the CV, I'll keep them in mind!

I’d wait until you being asked for this information.

orange32

Star Member
    Aug 12, 2020
    After numerous applications & 6 ACs, I received a phone call today from a firm telling me I've been offered a TC!!! There have been numerous moments of self doubt where I was rejected in the first round based on my paper application. There have been times when I was incredibly anxious about my future, my career, whether it was worth spending all the time and effort in making these applications when they weren't really paying off. There were times when I thought it was certain things about me - not being from the UK, having already graduated from law school, etc - that meant I just couldn't succeed. But I'm grateful for the support & community here that helped me power through these worries - especially @Jessica Booker who has answered many, many of my anxiety-ridden questions in this thread and the Grad Rec thread - and I wish everyone the best of luck in their journey going ahead!!!!

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.