Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
After numerous applications & 6 ACs, I received a phone call today from a firm telling me I've been offered a TC!!! There have been numerous moments of self doubt where I was rejected in the first round based on my paper application. There have been times when I was incredibly anxious about my future, my career, whether it was worth spending all the time and effort in making these applications when they weren't really paying off. There were times when I thought it was certain things about me - not being from the UK, having already graduated from law school, etc - that meant I just couldn't succeed. But I'm grateful for the support & community here that helped me power through these worries - especially @Jessica Booker who has answered many, many of my anxiety-ridden questions in this thread and the Grad Rec thread - and I wish everyone the best of luck in their journey going ahead!!!!

Amazing news! That’s why I am here to try and reduce the anxiety where I can - thank you for your kind words, it really helps me to know that some of my responses and advice on here helps :)

anon32323232

Star Member
Feb 26, 2020
Has anyone bought a subscription to job test prep for the WGT? Do you think it’s worth the £50 if I struggle with it?

I had free access to JobTestPrep through Uni, and I thought it was really, really useful - lots of practice tests and v thorough explanations and guides. That said, I got it for free, so can't really make a call on whether it's worth £50.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Adam Gilchrist

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
I had free access to JobTestPrep through Uni, and I thought it was really, really useful - lots of practice tests and v thorough explanations and guides. That said, I got it for free, so can't really make a call on whether it's worth £50.
Interesting! What uni was this? I might try and see if my uni has it :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Agree with this. Check your uni has any practice tests first (many do). It may not be JobTestPrep, it might be other providers or access to other practice tests. I think I have some free links too - let me check..

Edit...

The links I have (sorry if they are now out of date):

Watson Glaser:
Verbal reasoning:

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi @Alice G, or anyone else that knows, does Freshfields consider open days as work experience? I know that some firms encourage you to put your open days in the work experience section and others don't, I am not sure which category Freshfields falls into.
I am so sorry for this late reply to you but I opted to have a work experience sections for open days and events in my Freshfields application. I actually did this for every firm and I don't think it hinders an application - it is valid work experience to bring in I think.

Tess72

Standard Member
Future Trainee
Apr 8, 2020
Hi guys :) has anyone got any suggestions of how to get legal work experience aside from vac schemes? I’m lacking in that area & feel like it’ll really help my application

Hi - as well the traditional vac scheme route I gained some valuable work experience at two city law firms. I had part time jobs in hospitality and through chatting to customers, networking and following up the contacts I made I secured work experience. Right place, right time and making the most of opportunities. You have to be positive, pro-active and confident. Remember, you never know when you might meet someone who may be able to offer you something. Prior to this I also emailed local high street firms and secured work experience that way too.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys :) has anyone got any suggestions of how to get legal work experience aside from vac schemes? I’m lacking in that area & feel like it’ll really help my application

Normally my advice is track down alumni from your uni or school and pester them albeit politely for a day’s work shadowing. But work experience is going to be tricky for sometime - any work environment won’t be thinking of bringing anyone new in anytime soon.

So look out for virtual programmes, whether they are just online learning/simulations or more structured work programmes.

Also when things get back to normal think more broadly than a law firm. In house legal teams can be good, as can start up companies working in the legal sector.

Reactions: julie1995
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.