2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jony

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    Hey!! Congratulations on the vac scheme offer!! Was wondering if you could give any tips on the interview? I have an AC with Ashurst next week, you would be a true lifesaver

For fairness, I'm not sharing anything specific with anyone!

But I would honestly, honestly say - ALL of the interview questions that are listed as part of TCLA's questions bank were super worthwhile rehearsing! Go through each of them as many times as possible. And be yourself, and friendly :D

• ℹ️
    • 🤝
    Reactions: Aspiring.lawyer.to.be, OB and Jaysen

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 21, 2019
    For the Jones Day cover letter what are the key things to focus on? Obviously the non-rotational TC structure ought to be mentioned somewhere but what else other than that? It is only 300 words so I am struggling to work out what to allocated my word count to! Any help would be so appreciated :)

AS2000

Distinguished Member
    Nov 15, 2020
    For the Jones Day cover letter what are the key things to focus on? Obviously the non-rotational TC structure ought to be mentioned somewhere but what else other than that? It is only 300 words so I am struggling to work out what to allocated my word count to! Any help would be so appreciated :)
    You could mention their smaller trainee intake and their strong mid-market M&A work.

MDS

Oct 3, 2020

But I would honestly, honestly say - ALL of the interview questions that are listed as part of TCLA's questions bank were super worthwhile rehearsing! Go through each of them as many times as possible. And be yourself, and friendly :D
    Thank you! :)

anon101

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 2, 2020

Hi, congratulations on the offer! Could you please tell me where I can find this question bank?

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Rejection for Freshfields' grad workshop :(
    I am so so sorry Flora, you’re working so hard and you’ll get there <3

I just want to say that truthfully, open days and workshops are often much more competitive than TC and vacation scheme applications. For workshops and open days, firms need to be selective because they are mindful they need to make them valuable and so need to confine numbers slightly to ensure this. Often firms will only run a couple of these open days a year so there really aren’t many places available. With TCs and vacation schemes firms have much more leeway to invite candidates to ACs because they can often run many of these in a week and some firms do two a day! I really hope this reassures you guys and for anyone feeling like they shouldn’t try for TCs and Vac schemes because of open day rejections, please do still apply! Take a look at the application you submitted maybe after a few days to process everything and then try to self assess what was good about it and what can be improved. Like I’ve said, open day places are more competitive than AC places so don’t be put off by this.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Does anyone know if you can apply to the freshfields vacation scheme as a third year law student.
    I just searched and their website says this:

“Am I eligible?
    You’re eligible to apply for the vacation scheme if you are a penultimate-year student studying any degree. If you are studying a four-year degree, you are able to apply in your second year and, if offered, we will defer your place.”

• 🤝
    Reactions: Amy456

Lawsm21

Oct 19, 2020
    Just wondering- should I be responding to an email inviting me to the assessment centre? It is just a generic email so I assume not and I have chosen the date on the portal so have confirmed my acceptance, but suddenly thought I should check if it is customary/ polite to email thanking them and saying I look forward to it?

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Just wondering- should I be responding to an email inviting me to the assessment centre? It is just a generic email so I assume not and I have chosen the date on the portal so have confirmed my acceptance, but suddenly thought I should check if it is customary/ polite to email thanking them and saying I look forward to it?
    No point I don’t think, grad rec are pretty busy and therefore it’s just another irrelevant email (no offence)! I think you can show your gratitude at the actual AC :)

Reactions: Lawsm21

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I wouldn't (and haven't for one I have been invited for) because there is not much else they can say back to you. Kick back, relax and congratulations on getting this far!

Reactions: OB and Lawsm21

Jim Boy Calloway

Standard Member
    Jun 20, 2020
    Hey everyone, I just got a rejection from Ashurst for winter vac scheme post application, my rejection said "your application was of a high standard , but we have unfortunately only been able to shortlist a small percentage of applications for this vacancy" and I just wanted to know if this is their generic email? guess i'm just trying to figure out if my application was actually strong or they just say that to everyone :)

I can confirm that they do not say this to everyone. The rejection email I received made no mention of it being a "high standard" haha

jam1999

Star Member
    Feb 24, 2020
    @Jessica Booker @Jaysen
    Any tips to handle this question for the Irwin Mitchell Vac Scheme?

"Our clients have lots of legal advisors to choose from. As a trainee solicitor you will speak with new clients on a day to day basis, therefore it is important to understand how Irwin Mitchell can support them.
    After a busy day at the office, you begin your journey home on the train. The passenger next to you notices you are reading a legal journal and mentions that they are currently looking for a new firm of solicitors as they are not happy with their current firm. How would you promote Irwin Mitchell to the potential client?"

I understand it is generally to show why you think Irwin Mitchell is a great firm, and how you would sell that to someone else. But - it seems difficult that we do not know if this is a client looking for personal/business services, or what service they are looking for... any ideas?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker @Jaysen
    Any tips to handle this question for the Irwin Mitchell Vac Scheme?

"Our clients have lots of legal advisors to choose from. As a trainee solicitor you will speak with new clients on a day to day basis, therefore it is important to understand how Irwin Mitchell can support them.
    After a busy day at the office, you begin your journey home on the train. The passenger next to you notices you are reading a legal journal and mentions that they are currently looking for a new firm of solicitors as they are not happy with their current firm. How would you promote Irwin Mitchell to the potential client?"

I understand it is generally to show why you think Irwin Mitchell is a great firm, and how you would sell that to someone else. But - it seems difficult that we do not know if this is a client looking for personal/business services, or what service they are looking for... any ideas?

I think your questions in part show how you can approach the question.

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Has anyone applied for Boodle Hatfield? Heard from them? I haven't started applying yet and they have a strenuously long application form (4+ 500 word questions :(). Don't want to waste my time if they are handing out VI or ACs :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.