2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legally brown

Distinguished Member
Dec 6, 2020
Hi Tanaya,

Just wanted to drop in and say that everyone has that one firm that they love and then just completely blanks them. I've had many good cries myself over similar situations. I'm sure better news is coming soon. Hang in there!
I've only just seen this- so sorry!- but I have to agree with everything Dheepa has already said:

I've had knock backs from firms which really devastated me, but ultimately ended up at a firm I genuinely love and I'm hugely excited for starting at. Exact same thing happened to my fiancée, had knock backs from firms she thought she loved and then ended up somewhere she will ultimately be happier. I know it's easy to say when you're on the other side, having secured an offer (I remember absolutely hating receiving the advice I'm now giving!) but almost every single trainee/ future trainee I know or have spoken to has been through the exact same thing as you are going through and they all say the same as I am.

Fingers absolutely crossed for you that you end up somewhere you love.

Thank you so much for the support and the kind words. It truly does mean a lot!! Seeing your struggle does motivate me and I am sure others would agree. Therefore, I am keeping my hopes high!! Everything happens for a reason and those who remain resilient will always get to their destination, rather than just quitting now. So once again I really do appreciate your support, motivation and inspiration!

castrooo

Legendary Member
Sep 17, 2020
Not yet, I was pretty sure grad rec said they'd be done interviewing candidates by the week commencing January 11 and we'd hear back soon after, but now I'm wondering if I misunderstood and they're still conducting the remaining interviews this week then getting back to us at the end of the week/beginning of next week. Did the person interviewing you tell you when you could expect to hear back?
I was told that they anticipate getting back to all candidates by Friday this week.

• ℹ️
Reactions: anon101, Haz and jkjk99

Georgina Evans

Valued Member
  • Jul 25, 2019
    I have an SST to complete for Kennedys and really don't want to mess it up (I'm not usually very good at these sorts of assessments).

I've seen people on here mention JobTestPrep and am wondering if anyone thinks its worthwhile paying for? If anyone has any other advice for tackling these assessments it would be greatly appreciated!!

• 🏆
    Reactions: Kelly_ and kls

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    I have an SST to complete for Kennedys and really don't want to mess it up (I'm not usually very good at these sorts of assessments).

I've seen people on here mention JobTestPrep and am wondering if anyone thinks its worthwhile paying for? If anyone has any other advice for tackling these assessments it would be greatly appreciated!!

SSTs aren't really something you can prepare for. Just be sure to have a look at the competencies and what the firm expects of trainees and think to yourself how they would want you to act in certain situations. Also, remember to be consistent with your approach.

layla rose

Legendary Member
  • Nov 27, 2020

Jobtestprep is pretty good and your uni may have a subscription so you won't have to pay. If not, you can ask if they have a subscription with a similar provider that can provide you with useful resources. :)

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    @Jessica Booker I had an assessment centre today and there was a commercial exercise about a dispute with an employee. Basically the company wanted to fire him and offered him a redundancy package on the lower end of the scale of what they normally offer (his performance was ok, but not stellar). He said he might have some useful information for them (about the fact that two of their senior executives had destroyed some documents they weren't supposed to), possibly as a negotiating chip to get a better package. Eventually we found out that the senior executives didn't do that, and that the employee in question was mistaken / lied.

The question is, should the company now give him an increased package (to at least average level), given that he *might've* tried to be sneaky about it and offer information which he may or may not have known was false?

It was a tough one for me, I said the company is under no legal obligation to do so, even less so now that they suspect he might've tried to game the process, but that they could consider it anyway just because they don't want him going to the media, complaining about a low payout and hurting their reputation, and also it's always better to split on amicable terms, especially if the monetary cost of doing so wouldn't be too high.

Do you think this was the right approach?

haylaw

Star Member
    Jan 16, 2019

Congratulations! I have just received an email telling me to sit the test too!

I agree with the above, it can be difficult to prepare for this kind of test as they want to discover your true strengths so I would advise answering honestly as any inconsistencies in your responses will be noted!

Reactions: Georgina Evans

BiancaR

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 12
  • Jun 8, 2020
    Has anyone else heard from MdR about the VI? I'm so sorry to keep asking- I'm a bit stressy and have been resisting the temptation to check my email every 30 seconds!
    (On a side note, congratulations to everyone currently receiving VI's/interview invites- you're going to do brilliantly!)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.