General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
I think you could mention this in the context of Diversity & Inclusion. So for example with myself, diversity is very important to me so I am naturally quite interested in the representation of BAME and female incumbent partners and promotions within a firm. Other than this, I don't think you would need to nor be expected to have a deep understanding into a firm's partner structure.
( also not a dumb question at all! ☺️ )

I also think, in addition to what Naomi said, that this could be significant in seeing for example, if that particular firm is promoting its own lawyers compared to hiring from other firms. Some firms often do lateral hires of partners from their competitors, while others might prefer to promote its own people.

Agree with the comments already said. I think you also need to look at the detail - where are people being promoted in terms of either geographical location or also practice area/department? If that's all in one area, it could suggest that the firm is growing more rapidly in that area. However, it could equally mean that just a load of people retired/jumped ship for another firm, so sometimes it isn't always as clear cut what it means in reality. To me the bigger question is how many partners that are being promoted trained and qualified at the firm. Many people who are being promoted could have easily been lured over as a senior associate with the temptation of partnership, rather than being hired laterally as a partner.
thank you so much

Reactions: Naomi U

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Currently writing my Gibson Dunn Cover letter! Any tips?
It’s not clear until you log in, but it’s only 650 words. Don’t worry about formal cover letter formatting as it is just a standard text box, so just Dear XXX and a sign off is really the only formalities needed.

Also look at their FAQ document on their website as this gives some very clear indications of what they are looking for in a candidate/application.

Reactions: Daniel Boden and Fifi

Jxmxs00

Premium Member
Jan 21, 2021
Does anyone have any functional advice for live virtual interviews? I think it would be easier to show enthusiasm in person, so how have people gone about this behind a screen? Equally, it's obviously important to look at the webcam when you're speaking to give the impression of eye contact, but it's not the same as actual eye contact - if I were to look at them, I'd be looking downwards.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Does anyone have any functional advice for live virtual interviews? I think it would be easier to show enthusiasm in person, so how have people gone about this behind a screen? Equally, it's obviously important to look at the webcam when you're speaking to give the impression of eye contact, but it's not the same as actual eye contact - if I were to look at them, I'd be looking downwards.

Just in regards your point of looking at the right angle, I would invest in a laptop stand. They can be bought very inexpensively off amazon etc and allow your laptop to sit higher so you're looking straight ahead rather than downwards (especially not a good look if your shirts are a little tighter than they were pre-quarantine like mine were...)

There's no doubt that making a genuine connection with the interviewer and having it feel like more of a relaxed conversation is much harder on a digital interview. That said, I wouldn't say it's impossible and we are all so used to the Zoom world now that its much easier to do than it was at the start of the pandemic.

I would emphasise the importance of speaking at the correct pace and in a clear, understandable way over the Internet as speech can become garbled very quickly. Other than that, I tried to approach these things in much the same way as normal! I often found that overthinking the 'virtual' thing caused me more stress than was necessary. Very best of luck!

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    Just in regards your point of looking at the right angle, I would invest in a laptop stand. They can be bought very inexpensively off amazon etc and allow your laptop to sit higher so you're looking straight ahead rather than downwards (especially not a good look if your shirts are a little tighter than they were pre-quarantine like mine were...)

There's no doubt that making a genuine connection with the interviewer and having it feel like more of a relaxed conversation is much harder on a digital interview. That said, I wouldn't say it's impossible and we are all so used to the Zoom world now that its much easier to do than it was at the start of the pandemic.

I would emphasise the importance of speaking at the correct pace and in a clear, understandable way over the Internet as speech can become garbled very quickly. Other than that, I tried to approach these things in much the same way as normal! I often found that overthinking the 'virtual' thing caused me more stress than was necessary. Very best of luck!

My shirts have also shrunk...must be something in the water! 🤣

AH97

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 30, 2019

Kind of not answering your question but I actually found that looking directly into the camera and not being able to properly see the interviewers calmed me down and allowed me to focus more on the structure, pace and clarity of my answers! Good luck with your interview :)

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Anyone heard from NRF for TC? I just realised it’s been two weeks since their email saying they’d now review TC apps and let us know in two weeks. And while I understand of course that it isn’t to be a strict deadline + GR is probably overwhelmed with applications and working from home, it’s made me very nervous!

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019

Any thoughts would be much appreciated
    Hi @Jxmxs00

Some of my tips would be:

1 )Have your laptop positioned in a way that allows your camera to be at eye-level. I think this makes the interview feel and look more natural (as natural as it can anyway) rather than you looking 'down' at your interviewers. So I often put my laptop on some of my textbooks.
    2) Try and lead the initial introduction. So once you are let in to the interview, don't sit awkwardly but rather try to be the first to say hello with a smile (sounds cheesy but I think because everything is virtual, more is better than less)
    3) If you have more than one interviewer, make sure you try to address them both rather than just staring straight into the camera.
    4) I also think to mimic a real life setting, try and sit in a way that allows your upper torso to be seen. I think in a normal setting, whilst some mannerisms like using your hands may be discouraged, I think in a virtual setting you want to show that you are engaged even more and this can be done through your body language (rather than just showing your face and shoulders). Even mannerisms like nodding along are key to show you are paying attention.
    5) Always have a glass of water as you would in a real interview, which you can use to give yourself a second to think by taking a sip if need be.
    6) I guess my final point would be to Smile Smile Smile! I think this is so important in helping set the tone and to present you as a warm and confident person. People naturally mirror each other so try as much as you can to set the scene.

Hope this helps & best of luck!

Last edited:

Law2022

Legendary Member
    May 3, 2020
    Anyone heard from NRF for TC? I just realised it’s been two weeks since their email saying they’d now review TC apps and let us know in two weeks. And while I understand of course that it isn’t to be a strict deadline + GR is probably overwhelmed with applications and working from home, it’s made me very nervous!
    I haven’t heard anything back either!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    @Jxmxs00

To further the excellent advice already given, I agree that smiling and body language become much more important.

Just as a practical tip - do a dry run with a friend. Often we cannot know what our sound quality is like or if there is feedback in the room so by doing a run with a friend, they can pick up on all these things for you. You may also find this beneficial to practice 'eye contact' with the camera and also to get your friend to feedback on your mannerisms and body language. I personally speak a lot with my hands but a friend can tell you whether it is distracting/too out of eyeshot etc.

The other thing is to check your connection/background and tell anyone else in the house you have an interview! No one wants the infamous BBC interview debacle with family or flatmates wandering into the camera's eyeline.

kls

Distinguished Member
    Jan 11, 2021
    @Jxmxs00

To further the excellent advice already given, I agree that smiling and body language become much more important.

Just as a practical tip - do a dry run with a friend. Often we cannot know what our sound quality is like or if there is feedback in the room so by doing a run with a friend, they can pick up on all these things for you. You may also find this beneficial to practice 'eye contact' with the camera and also to get your friend to feedback on your mannerisms and body language. I personally speak a lot with my hands but a friend can tell you whether it is distracting/too out of eyeshot etc.

The other thing is to check your connection/background and tell anyone else in the house you have an interview! No one wants the infamous BBC interview debacle with family or flatmates wandering into the camera's eyeline.
    Just to add to this last bit- is it okay to wear headphones as sometimes my sound can get a little echoey without them?

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Just to add to this last bit- is it okay to wear headphones as sometimes my sound can get a little echoey without them?
    Absolutely - i do so as well because my room is quite echoey which can make feedback an issue. Many people wear earphones/headsets so don't worry at all :)

Last edited:
    Reactions: kls

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    To

To add further to this, I wrote made the following thread and post on VIs a little while back:

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    If an app Q asks you to list your responsibilities, interests, hobbies, awards, positions of responsibility etc in bullet points, then how much detail do you need to go into? For example, can I just say "brand ambassador at ABC firm" as my first bullet point?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Sorry for revisiting an old reply but I was wondering if ‘thank you’ suffices as a sign off given the word limit, or should I include ‘yours sincerely, (my name)’? Thank you :)
    I’d go with the formal Yours sincerely and your name.

you’ll find and additional three words to skim off elsewhere I bet.

Reactions: Alice G

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If an app Q asks you to list your responsibilities, interests, hobbies, awards, positions of responsibility etc in bullet points, then how much detail do you need to go into? For example, can I just say "brand ambassador at ABC firm" as my first bullet point?
    I’d go into more detail than just the title. It doesn’t need to be extensive descriptions of what you did. But it would be good to show your impact/success/outcomes from that role.

Reactions: cryingoverTCs
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.