Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZ_D

• Nov 27, 2018
    Just out of curiosity-- I know of a few 2nd year law students who have recently secured TC at Clifford Chance. I thought the firm does not start interviewing until Jan 2019?

Shane

Distinguished Member
    Jul 22, 2018
    Hi guys,

Jones Day just sent me an email saying informing me that they had contacted my academic referee. Do they send that to everybody or just people that they are hoping to invite for interview ?

J Wu

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Hi guys,

Jones Day just sent me an email saying informing me that they had contacted my academic referee. Do they send that to everybody or just people that they are hoping to invite for interview ?

If it’s the same as last year, academic references are requested after the first round of screening

Reactions: J Malone

Akky123

Nov 10, 2018
    Hi guys,

I think it's a good sign, I received that before being invited for an AC. Just be proactive - chase up your reference

J Wu

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    does anyone know if HSF and DLA Piper are rolling? keep seeing a lot of mixed things
    At a hsf workshop I went to last week, they said they have been reviewing applications and I know some people who have been sent their rejections already. However, their brand ambassador told me they were non-rolling.

My best guess is they review and reject on a rolling basis but won’t send out any AC invites until after the deadline

Reactions: Salma

Hazal

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 25, 2018
    Just out of curiosity-- I know of a few 2nd year law students who have recently secured TC at Clifford Chance. I thought the firm does not start interviewing until Jan 2019?
    Hi Taylor, I've known 2nd years in the past in the same situation. The gist I got was they did CC's first year scheme and got offers off the back of that.

Reactions: EZ_D

J Wu

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Can anyone offer any advice for the A&O interview? :)

From a friend who secured the A&O TC two years ago regarding the case study interview:

"For the case study I would say that the main two things to think about are the amount of information you are going to have to read and process within a short time, and second, make sure you take a look at the figures carefully. I summarised what was included in each piece given in the booklet on a piece of paper for reference so that if the partner asked me about something I needed to refer back to, I didn’t have to sit there flicking through the whole booklet every time.

They aren’t looking for legal knowledge as such, but more your ability to read and process a large volume of information, to present it coherently back to the partner, identifying the legal issues, and then to answer any questions.

To prepare for it I would just say honestly don’t forget to look at the figures - when I had my booklet of information I needed to calculate a different profit to the one mentioned in a table of figures.

And just have a plan for referencing the information.

So I remember the different pieces of information being called a, b, c, d etc, so I wrote a = refers to environmental concerns"

• 🏆
    Reactions: alex_cole987 and Abstruser

Mohammed

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 30, 2018
    Hi, I applied to BCLP's vacation scheme and received an invite to do the verbal reasoning test. Two days later, on Friday, I received an invite to the AC but I have not completed the test yet. I booked a slot for the AC but do I still need to do the test? Kind of confused on what to do here as I don't want to perform badly on the test that they rescind the AC invite?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.