TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

CallumJR

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jul 16, 2020
Freshfields TC offer!!!! So happy and still can`t believe it. I did my AC yesterday. Thanks everyone in this incredible community for the support! Feel free to drop me a line should you need any help
Celebrate Number 1 GIF by Awkwafina

loyerloz

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Nov 1, 2023
    for those applying direct to grad solicitor apprenticeships - is it just me or is a very well known company offering £26,500 per year (with no other real monetary perks) for a grad solicitor apprentice in london a bit of an insult? Is it possible to live off of £26,500 if you’re renting in London?

• Wow
    Reactions: yasmars

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    for those applying direct to grad solicitor apprenticeships - is it just me or is a very well known company offering £26,500 per year (with no other real monetary perks) for a grad solicitor apprentice in london a bit of an insult? Is it possible to live off of £26,500 if you’re renting in London?
    £26,500 will be similar to many paralegal roles, which the first 6 months or so of a graduate apprenticeship will be comparative too. I'd really look at how the salary progresses throughout the programme as it should be similar to a trainee salary, particularly within 12 months of starting.

Many people do live off £26,500 a year in London - it is no doubt difficult but there will many hundreds of thousands of people in London earning less than that.

Also double check it is not a school leaver apprenticeship role too though.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

Izzy1026

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 23, 2023
    I still have not heard back from Bristows post partner review and holding email. I did my VI later than the rest (probably the last batch), but seeing that people have completed their first round interviews last week, should I email HR to check my application status? The latest email from the HR (on 22 Feb) states that " Not having heard back from us is not an indication either way. We hope to start first round interviews in March so will be back in touch as soon as we know more."

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker do you know if there are any long-term differences in terms of the SRA qualification you get when you qualify down the graduate solicitor apprentice route versus the training contract route?
    No - they provide the same end point of qualification. If anything the apprenticeship will have given you a slightly longer period of work experience, but you come out with exactly the sam qualification point at a “traditional” TC.

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    @Jessica Booker

What are the main reasons for an applicant failing background checks prior to a VS?

I just did mines and it was more detailed than my job’s one which required us to have Security clearance! but did wonder what firms who decline you for. My friend had a CCJ for a parking ticket and was declined of her VS! Is that normal practice?

Thank you :)

law2022x

Legendary Member
    Feb 21, 2022
    @Jessica Booker

What are the main reasons for an applicant failing background checks prior to a VS?

I just did mines and it was more detailed than my job’s one which required us to have Security clearance! but did wonder what firms who decline you for. My friend had a CCJ for a parking ticket and was declined of her VS! Is that normal practice?

What did your background check involve? Did you have to share if you have had any defaults?

MayaM0921

Premium Member
    Jan 17, 2023
    @Jessica Booker

Sorry about your friend's experience but this might also be the only legit thing that has made me feel a tad better about failing my driving test....

• Haha
    Reactions: Legalstalker

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    What did your background check involve? Did you have to share if you have had any defaults?
    Oh gosh erm I think there were questions on that! like all the standard financing bankruptcy kinda thing then it did Ask for like proceedings etc… I’m assuming these are all standard questions but did wonder if you having debt etc can affect your trustworthy from the firms point of view. Luckily I pay my klarna payments ontime🤣 but I have had parking tickets before so scared if this would affect it or not.

trainee2025

Star Member
    Nov 3, 2020
    Oh gosh erm I think there were questions on that! like all the standard financing bankruptcy kinda thing then it did Ask for like proceedings etc… I’m assuming these are all standard questions but did wonder if you having debt etc can affect your trustworthy from the firms point of view. Luckily I pay my klarna payments ontime🤣 but I have had parking tickets before so scared if this would affect it or not.
    Parking tickets are a contractual matter that wouldn't reach court unless you completely failed to pay one (in which case you would receive a CCJ, as you have mentioned above). As long as you pay a fine on time and it never escalates as far as judicial involvement, there won't be any public record of it which a background check will bring up.
    Same goes for any debt really (missed direct debits, loan defaults, etc.). As long as you stay on top of them you'll be okay - fail to pay them/fail to respond to invitations to pay them and you can land yourself in all kinds of trouble.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.