Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I am a Golden member and would like to suspend my account for some time as I am currently outside the UK and still have 8 recurring applications left in my account. Will I still be able to use those 8 applications left in my account even though my account is not renewed?

it worth mentioning that I have sent an email three days ago asking about the same thing but I haven't got any response yet and this is not the first time. Would it be possible for the Corporate Law Academy to offer a quicker mean of communication at least for its members to answer their queries?

Could you please recommend a forum where premium members can ask their question or queries about their subscription so they can get it answered quickly?

Best regards
    Ehab

Hi Ehab,

Apologies for the delay. I'm afraid application reviews don't carry over each month.

I've cancelled your subscription. I'm afraid we don't have a separate forum for quick responses at this point in time, although this is something I'lll look into.

Best,

Jaysen

Reactions: Alice G

Ehab

Standard Member
    Nov 9, 2019
    Hi Ehab,

Apologies for the delay. I'm afraid application reviews don't carry over each month.

I've cancelled your subscription. I'm afraid we don't have a separate forum for quick responses at this point in time, although this is something I'lll look into.

Best,

Jaysen
    Thank you for your response.
    How can I avail my 8 applications that are still left? The terms clearly say that the service is recurring for golden members.
    1- Do I have to renew my subscription to avail them even though I have paid already for them?
    2- Would I be able to use my 8 recurring applications if I changed my subscription to 6 months of silver membership.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thank you for your response.
    How can I avail my 8 applications that are still left? The terms clearly say that the service is recurring for golden members.
    1- Do I have to renew my subscription to avail them even though I have paid already for them?
    2- Would I be able to use my 8 recurring applications if I changed my subscription to 6 months of silver membership.

Hi Ehab,

I will drop you a private message.

Thanks!

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    I know this is a question for Jess, but I personally would reserve humour for a face to face interview and even then you have to judge the circumstances. You have a strict word count in applications and thus every word you submit must be pertinent to the application. It is possibly a waste to try to crack a joke when you could be using that precious word count for more important personal attributes and your knowledge in answering the question asked.
    Makes total sense, thank you Helena but I was talking about trying to crack a joke in order to bring out your answer more clearly and sort of making it punchier. @Helena What are your views on that? Does our application have to sound really serious?

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Makes total sense, thank you Helena but I was talking about trying to crack a joke in order to bring out your answer more clearly and sort of making it punchier. @Helena What are your views on that? Does our application have to sound really serious?
    I personally wouldn’t know how to do that! My feeling is that the word count is given for a reason and I think you would have to be a particularly gifted writer to make that work, ensuring that those “punchy” words add something. You always have to ask yourself in every sentence you write If you are adding relevant points to your application answer. If you can remove words and still make your point or statements clear, then those words (punchy or not ) are redundant. Personally I would err on the side of caution.

Reactions: Alice G

TChopeful2021

Distinguished Member
    Mar 21, 2020
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well ma'am. What are your views on light humour in the application if it is related to the point we're making. Will that upset the person reading it?

I’m wondering the same thing. I’m currently drafting my Travers Smith cover letter and I remember at the TS event, the recruitment partner actually encouraged a little humour in the cover letters because it apparently makes them stand out - he even gave examples of how some current trainees articulated the humour and why he appreciated them. However, I do think he just has a very ‘laid-back’ personality and I'm reluctant to say his attitude is representative of the firm. The way I see it is this: no one will criticise you for not including humour, but there is the likelihood of it being interpreted the wrong way if you include it. Curious to hear Jessica's thoughts on this!

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    I personally wouldn’t know how to do that! My feeling is that the word count is given for a reason and I think you would have to be a particularly gifted writer to make that work, ensuring that those “punchy” words add something. You always have to ask yourself in every sentence you write If you are adding relevant points to your application answer. If you can remove words and still make your point or statements clear, then those words (punchy or not ) are redundant. Personally I would err on the side of caution.
    Thanks Helena, got it!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well ma'am. What are your views on light humour in the application if it is related to the point we're making. Will that upset the person reading it?

Tricky question to answer.

It can work....

It can be a disaster...

Don't do it if you are not a funny person

Don't do it if you are just trying to impress

Do do it if it is very light, non-offensive and it is the way you would present yourself in person in a professional setting.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

What exactly are you trying to say?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    That’s pretty impressive to be remembered after all these years!

I have used it in many application skills sessions, which is why it rolls off very easily...

There is a saying that "Love is like a fart. If you have to force it, it's probably sh*t"

Same goes for humour in an application form :D

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I have used it in many application skills sessions, which is why it rolls off very easily...

There is a saying that "Love is like a fart. If you have to force it, it's probably sh*t"

Same goes for humour in an application form :D
    This cracked me up on a Thursday afternoon- thank you @Jessica Booker for brightening a dreary day :D

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    What are you trying to say in the application? Would be useful to get the context as humour is such an individual thing
    Ma'am it is a slightly personal thing which I won't be able to share here but looking at various responses I have come to terms that I am not all that funny and it will look odd on the application.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Ma'am it is a slightly personal thing which I won't be able to share here but looking at various responses I have come to terms that I am not all that funny and it will look odd on the application.

If it is personal, then I'd avoid humour.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Had an interview at JP Morgan in first year. As I use a wheelchair, when they asked me my weakness I said “stairs”. It didn’t even get a smile. So I would avoid it ha.

Tough crowd....

Saying that I interviewed there a long time ago, and unfortunately I am not surprised...

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.