2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

kat_

Valued Member
Premium Member
Nov 14, 2020
Hi everyone,
I got a rejection from B&B and Slaughters and May today :( And these were the only firms that I've applied to, as I am seeing now many firms have already closed their applications for VS.

Do you think I should still try to apply to different firm's TCs? Granted, I have no legal work experience. Or wait and apply for VS next year?
I know that my question is stupid, but I don't really know what to do, I am proper gutted!

bethbristol

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Oct 30, 2019
Hi everyone,
I got a rejection from B&B and Slaughters and May today :( And these were the only firms that I've applied to, as I am seeing now many firms have already closed their applications for VS.

Do you think I should still try to apply to different firm's TCs? Granted, I have no legal work experience. Or wait and apply for VS next year?
I know that my question is stupid, but I don't really know what to do, I am proper gutted!
There are definitely some firms that are still open for VS - have a look here https://www.lawcareers.net/Solicitors/WorkPlacementDeadlines

• 🤝
Reactions: Holly, OB and layla rose

collie_121

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Sep 30, 2020
Hi everyone,

There is lots and lots of vac schemes still open if you didn't want to wait until next year! I think there is a thread that has the deadlines detailed in them. I know I have lots of applications still to go. You do what you think is best for you :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi! I think I have made a mistake on one of my VS applications. Basically, because there were no specific instructions (and I was trying to keep everything to one page), I didn’t include the firm’s address in a cover letter. I’m not sure if this is typical/ if it will be interpreted as me not knowing how to write a formal letter. Whilst there’s nothing I can do about it now, for future reference, does anyone have any advice about whether you should include the firm’s address, regardless of word count, instructions etc.
Thank you in advance!

This is going to be one of those annoying answers where I saw it varies between firms. Which firm is it?

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Hi everyone,

Going off the firms you mentioned, I think it's worth having a think on what kind of firm you want to be at. B&B and Slaughters are massively different beasts and this reminds me of previous cycles where I really lacked clarity and focus (W&C, Jones Day and Reed Smith were my 2019/20 lineup).

With that said, if there are other firms you're keen on that are still open it's worth a crack if only to get the application practice.

If nothing pans this year just take a breath and stick at it. I'm in my late 20s and a couple rounds in, this is the first year I've remotely felt I've got a sense of what I'm really doing.

LegalLordLox

Legendary Member
Jan 3, 2021
I'm also wondering this! I would use my AirPods but paranoid they wouldn't last for the whole 4 hours so might be a technical hiccup I don't need haha

I am in meetings and calls all day although it’s slightly different - what I do for work is use one headphone that way the other is fully charged.

just have to make sure the tablet charging case is also charged up.

not sure if this is worth doing for the AC?

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Hi! I think I have made a mistake on one of my VS applications. Basically, because there were no specific instructions (and I was trying to keep everything to one page), I didn’t include the firm’s address in a cover letter. I’m not sure if this is typical/ if it will be interpreted as me not knowing how to write a formal letter. Whilst there’s nothing I can do about it now, for future reference, does anyone have any advice about whether you should include the firm’s address, regardless of word count, instructions etc.
Thank you in advance!

Most firms will give guidance on this, but in lieu of clear instruction I think either [Firm] Graduate Recruitment or Graduate Recruitment, [Firm] should generally suffice.

CorporateB3

Star Member
Jul 1, 2020
Seeking advice: I applied to Freshfields and somehow managed to miss the template that they request for the personal statement. Is it better to write to GR and let them know that I made this mistake, or to wait for the rejection. It seems that I will get a rejection regardless of the approach I take given that my mistake indicates that I did not pay attention to detail...

@Jessica Booker do you have any advice on this?

layla rose

Legendary Member
  • Nov 27, 2020
    Hi everyone,

There are a bunch of firms that still have VS applications open! Go for them, even if they’re rolling don’t let it put you off. I did this and regretted it, you really just never know. People apply the day before and still progress to the final stages. Don’t lose hope! Good luck!

Reactions: collie_121

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    On that note - when firms ask for a cover letter on the application form (e.g. in a text box on apply4law), are applicants still expected to include the firm’s address at the top?

no - if it is just a free text box with no ability to format, just the welcome and sign off of the cover letter are necessary.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker do you have any advice on this?

If you can update your application with the attachment, then that would be the obvious answer.

If you can’t do that, then your choices are that the firm won’t be able to review it in the format you have submitted, or you can choose to contact them and see if they will allow you to resubmit. To me the latter seems more hopeful

Reactions: CorporateB3

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    I’m not really best placed to advise on such a technical matter (also seems odd you wouldn’t offer redundancy to someone who was being fired, you would offer a settlement agreement - if it was a settlement agreement you’d also be fortunate to basically have an NDA in place that would mean you were somewhat protected from any “bad press”).

My view would be why would you give an increased offer to someone who had lied? From an integrity point of view you might be well placed to renege the offer altogether (but that’s just my opinion).
    Yes that makes a lot of sense, that was sort of my thinking as well but the whole "they lied so we shouldn't increase their pay-out" somehow didn't sit well with me, I felt it was perhaps a bit too confrontational? Isn't it (almost) always better to part on amicable terms, even if you might be morally in the right over the other party?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Yes that makes a lot of sense, that was sort of my thinking as well but the whole "they lied so we shouldn't increase their pay-out" somehow didn't sit well with me, I felt it was perhaps a bit too confrontational? Isn't it (almost) always better to part on amicable terms, even if you might be morally in the right over the other party?

amicable terms would be not firing them without compensation in my opinion. If someone was caught lying in that manner that’s pretty much a serious grievance.

The short answer would be more what’s the easiest way to deal with this, and often paying out is just easier.

But as I said, I am not in the best position to advise on this. I am not an employment lawyer.

I would expect though that what you are putting forward isn’t really what the firm are assessing, more our rationale/reasoning for putting it forward.

Reactions: Rob93

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    Going off the firms you mentioned, I think it's worth having a think on what kind of firm you want to be at. B&B and Slaughters are massively different beasts and this reminds me of previous cycles where I really lacked clarity and focus (W&C, Jones Day and Reed Smith were my 2019/20 lineup).

With that said, if there are other firms you're keen on that are still open it's worth a crack if only to get the application practice.

If nothing pans this year just take a breath and stick at it. I'm in my late 20s and a couple rounds in, this is the first year I've remotely felt I've got a sense of what I'm really doing.

I turned 30 in December...you all have plenty of time! Ahaha :D

chromaticaqueen

Star Member
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Hi everyone,

Hey! Sorry to hear that. There are still plenty of VS applications open (most of them closing at the end of January) - I still have about 4 applications to get in before then. I've been pretty late getting to this stage but as a career changer, it has taken me a little while to work it out this cycle and now that I know the direction I want to go in and the type of firm I want to work at, I'm giving it a shot despite it being a bit last minute! I'm taking comfort in the fact I wouldn't have been able to write the calibre of application I'm able to now with all the research and time it has taken for me to get here - so at least if it doesn't work out this year, I've made a stride in the right direction. I'm also trying my best to get in place legal / industry work experience for the year ahead as contingency so that my application will be stronger next year (if necessary - I hope not!).

If you are up to it, you should have a look at the remaining VS openings at firms that match your interests and ambitions. I wouldn't waste your time just applying anywhere for the sake of it - but if there are firms that you like, give it a go. As others have said, you don't know if you don't try and you've got to be in it to win it! It's all part of the process - keep the faith!

Good luck! :)

golden99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2021
    Hi @Jessica Booker (or anyone else who can help),

I recently submitted an application and I made some similar points in the work experience section of the application to the question section of the application - repeated a couple of examples. Do you think this would weaken the application?

Thank you in advance!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.