2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samantha

Legendary Member
Nov 18, 2020
They were doing first-stage interviews this week, and there will be follow-up interviews with partners next week. So far, they have only filled half of the spaces on the VS, so I think there is a reasonable chance they will still be making interview invites after next week to people they skipped so far.
How do you know they’ve filled up half there places?

Reactions: FM302989

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    So if you have a vac scheme that's not until the summer, is it normal to want to keep track of goings on with the firm (i.e. deals they've been involved with) to familiarise yourself with the kind of things they're working on or am I just being a bit obsessive and TC mad?

Reactions: Kablahc and FM302989

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    So if you have a vac scheme that's not until the summer, is it normal to want to keep track of goings on with the firm (i.e. deals they've been involved with) to familiarise yourself with the kind of things they're working on or am I just being a bit obsessive and TC mad?
    It’s normal, but it’s also normal not to!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Agrew with Jess. Personally I didn't do this, just spent a few hours reading up on things before my VS started. At the time, I was in the midst of launching my second company (plus uni and my existing business) so that was just what worked better for me. Neither is right or wrong 🙂

AAA_a

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 14, 2019
    They were doing first-stage interviews this week, and there will be follow-up interviews with partners next week. So far, they have only filled half of the spaces on the VS, so I think there is a reasonable chance they will still be making interview invites after next week to people they skipped so far.
    Hi are you referring to Gibson?

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I honestly don’t know how BM are gonna get back to all candidates who applied for the TC, send them the WGs, then invite those to the VIs and then invite individuals for the ACs all in one month😳
    Are you referring to direct training contract applications. Also, just a note on BM their spring vacation scheme started last week and is on this week also.

Tushar

Distinguished Member
    Mar 18, 2020
    I honestly don’t know how BM are gonna get back to all candidates who applied for the TC, send them the WGs, then invite those to the VIs and then invite individuals for the ACs all in one month😳
    Last year, when I applied around 18th March, I received the WG test link mid of April, video interview invite the next day, and results for AC invite came out in the first week of May. So it happens quickly.

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    I would tend to look at it in as simple terms as possible: if you don't intend on accepting Dechert's VS as it clashes with another option you'd prefer, there's almost nothing to be gained by interviewing and that space could go to another candidate, maybe one whose top firm is Dechert.

In terms of spreading yourself too thin, it's hard to comment: I don't know your work rate/ how much you have to do etc etc. What I would say is that, while it's important to remember your health etc and not absolutely burst yourself, a life in commercial law will be one where you often feel spread a bit thin due to work volume and the sort of environment you're in. Personally, I don't think this should be a deciding factor.
    Agreed, I would just like to add one thing: there is a certain benefit to attending an interview even if you know you can't attend the VS / TC. Interviews / assessment centres are, for most of us, few and far between, and you usually improve by a considerable amount after each one. You learn from your mistakes, learn what worked, hopefully receive feedback from the GR. Therefore any opportunity you get to do an interview, I would say go for it, it will make a considerably stronger candidate overall. (Same goes for attending a VS even if you know you wouldn't accept a TC with them afterwards.)

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Last year, when I applied around 18th March, I received the WG test link mid of April, video interview invite the next day, and results for AC invite came out in the first week of May. So it happens quickly.
    Video interview do the day after WG invite or the day after the 5 day time frame to complete WG.

SamTam99

Legendary Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Agreed, I would just like to add one thing: there is a certain benefit to attending an interview even if you know you can't attend the VS / TC. Interviews / assessment centres are, for most of us, few and far between, and you usually improve by a considerable amount after each one. You learn from your mistakes, learn what worked, hopefully receive feedback from the GR. Therefore any opportunity you get to do an interview, I would say go for it, it will make a considerably stronger candidate overall. (Same goes for attending a VS even if you know you wouldn't accept a TC with them afterwards.)
    I really disagree with this. I think it’s really unfair, and quite frankly bad practice, to attend a VS knowing you won’t accept a TC with the firm at the end. You’re literally taking up a space that could go to another person that would actually die for that TC.

If you’ve already been successful in securing a TC at Firm A, I don’t really understand the point of a) wasting Firm B’s time, as vacation schemes are primarily run with the aim of recruiting trainees and b) actively making the decision to take the opportunity away from someone else, knowing how few and far between VS places are. Just my two cents though :)

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    I really disagree with this. I think it’s really unfair, and quite frankly bad practice, to attend a VS knowing you won’t accept a TC with the firm at the end. You’re literally taking up a space that could go to another person that would actually die for that TC.

If you’ve already been successful in securing a TC at Firm A, I don’t really understand the point of a) wasting Firm B’s time, as vacation schemes are primarily run with the aim of recruiting trainees and b) actively making the decision to take the opportunity away from someone else, knowing how few and far between VS places are. Just my two cents though :)
    Hmm that's a fair point, perhaps doing a VS you wouldn't accept a TC from is a bit much. What about an interview though, if you're attending an interview it doesn't necessarily mean you've bagged a TC elsewhere already and you're set - you might simply be unable to attend that firm's dates (and they might not have any other ones you could do), but the interview experience will still be very valuable for future applications / ACs.

SamTam99

Legendary Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Hmm that's a fair point, perhaps doing a VS you wouldn't accept a TC from is a bit much. What about an interview though, if you're attending an interview it doesn't necessarily mean you've bagged a TC elsewhere already and you're set - you might simply be unable to attend that firm's dates (and they might not have any other ones you could do), but the interview experience will still be very valuable for future applications / ACs.
    I can definitely understand your point of view in terms of gaining experience etc, but personally if I had already gained a TC with another firm, and I wasn’t intending on actually doing another vac scheme, I really don’t see the point of doing the interview. Besides potentially ruining someone else’s chances, you’ve already accepted a job elsewhere so why would that vacation scheme interview practice be of any use? That’s just my opinion though!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I can definitely understand your point of view in terms of gaining experience etc, but personally if I had already gained a TC with another firm, and I wasn’t intending on actually doing another vac scheme, I really don’t see the point of doing the interview. Besides potentially ruining someone else’s chances, you’ve already accepted a job elsewhere so why would that vacation scheme interview practice be of any use? That’s just my opinion though!
    OP hasn't got a TC with another firm though, just a VS and obviously there's no guarantee that they'll convert it (although I'm sure he/she will smash it) so I'm not sure that's the same thing tbh. If you've accepted a TC elsewhere (firm A) and signed the contract then you have to withdraw from other firm's processes for that reason (most TC offers include that as a clause in the offer letter) but accepting a VS with a firm does not prevent you from taking other interviews and schemes because obviously the TC isn't guaranteed.

That said, I do agree with you that, if there's no way you can move the scheme/switch to a direct TC app with firm B should you get through the interview stage, you shouldn't really do the interview because as you say it's taking the opportunity away from someone else. However, if there is a possibility of moving schemes/switching application routes with firm B and you don't already have a TC with firm A why would you prevent yourself from improving your interview technique and giving yourself another opportunity to get a VS and increase your chances of getting a TC?

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    No yeah, in that situation I can definitely see what you mean. I was more imagining a scenario where you haven't accepted a TC elsewhere, you might not have even accepted a VS elsewhere, and you get invited to an interview for a VS which you can't attend (for whatever reason, personal / work, etc.) and the firm can't offer you a different date. In that situation, the experience you could gain from the interview would be very valuable for future applications and interviews.

Reactions: Daniel Boden
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.