2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW110601

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
Do we think the WBD deadline is tonight at midnight or tomorrow at midnight? Always read in to it far too much because technically tonight is Sunday midnight?? AHH

Its tomorrow! Since its midnight 4th April x

I feel like it means tonight at midnight.

While this put the fear of god into me 😂 I do think it means tomorrow, as tonight is midnight 3rd of April. Also, when I try to create an event in my phone through clicking the highlighted date in the email, it comes up as tomorrow night.
I may be wrong though:) so everyone should do def what they feel is best! (Basically I don’t want to get out of my pj’s) 😂😂
Does anyone actually know the answer to this? 😂 does midnight on the 4th April mean tonight at midnight or tomorrow at midnight?

Georgina Evans

Valued Member
  • Jul 25, 2019
    Many thanks for letting us know. Any chance you could shed some light on the questions asked? Not really sure what to expect as its not competency based.
    There was nothing on why the firm or why law or any competency stuff. It’s all questions to get inside you as a person - like who you admire etc.
    They didn’t ask anything that threw me off or made me stressed or anything so I’m sure you’ll do great!!

Nnu

Star Member
  • Mar 9, 2021
    hi guys I would really appreciate some advice!!
    I just did the Womble VI and it didnt save my first and third answer??for the first, it wouldn't let me stop recording my second attempt and then didnt save the answers?
    and for the 3rd it was saving my answer and told me it was saved, and when I looked it gave me the same message of "you have used the max attempts to answer" and my recording wasn't there.
    ive emailed recruitment but does anyone think they'll let me do it again? or whether it saved and just didnt show me??

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Hey! Can anyone please provide some assistance on answering this question I am struggling with?

It is basically asking me to use the STAR technique to explain a time when I "saw the big picture".

Some of the guidance provided has got to do with understanding how my work supports wider objectives and focus on overall goals etc. I get what it means but how do you answer such a question using the STAR technique? My mind is blank.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hey! Can anyone please provide some assistance on answering this question I am struggling with?

It is basically asking me to use the STAR technique to explain a time when I "saw the big picture".

Some of the guidance provided has got to do with understanding how my work supports wider objectives and focus on overall goals etc. I get what it means but how do you answer such a question using the STAR technique? My mind is blank.
    To me, it sounds like you're maybe overcomplicating things a bit here. I would encourage you to really break it down, don't worry too much about the STAR element at first.

Before you can really plan an answer, you really need to think of an instance in your life when you've actually seen/ understood/ worked towards something with a bigger picture than, necessarily, just what you did in the abstract. This could be any example, from work or life in general - think outside the box here, I find questions like this a great opportunity to use personal examples and show human qualities rather than just being a 'commercial robot'. Mind mapping could be a great solution here - you could either build out (i.e., start with what you did and figure how it fitted a bigger picture), or build inwards (think about the bigger picture, and how what you did contributed to it).

Once you've had a think about that, the STAR/ CAR method is just a way of structuring your response - the real key is to focus on your actions and your contribution to the overall result while maintaining perspective on the fact that you were one part of the overall bigger picture. I go through a bunch of STAR/ CAR examples in my interview article which may help :)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I was wondering how the training contract interviews (at the end of the vac scheme) are different to the usual interviews from your experiences? @Dheepa @Jacob Miller @Daniel Boden and anyone else with experience! Thank you
    So I've done two TC interviews at the end of vacation schemes and they were both very different from each other haha.

My exit interview from my scheme at Weil was very technical and pretty intense as I was grilled on what I had done and asked some technical PE questions based on that and then had a case study question at the end whereas other people had a very relaxed and more informal chat about their scheme.

My exit interview with Gibson Dunn on the other hand was extremely relaxed and pretty informal with the GradRec team basically asking what I'd done during the scheme, what I'd enjoyed, who I'd met and spoken to etc.

Both schemes were quite assessment heavy in that I had to do written exercises and group exercises during both of them but I hope that's helpful for you :)

tk166

Esteemed Member
    Jul 17, 2020
    So I've done two TC interviews at the end of vacation schemes and they were both very different from each other haha.

My exit interview from my scheme at Weil was very technical and pretty intense as I was grilled on what I had done and asked some technical PE questions based on that and then had a case study question at the end whereas other people had a very relaxed and more informal chat about their scheme.

My exit interview with Gibson Dunn on the other hand was extremely relaxed and pretty informal with the GradRec team basically asking what I'd done during the scheme, what I'd enjoyed, who I'd met and spoken to etc.

Both schemes were quite assessment heavy in that I had to do written exercises and group exercises during both of them but I hope that's helpful for you :)
    tbh I might be wrong but the impression I get from speaking to people is that if you have excellent feedback from the scheme your interview is really relaxed because they essentially know they’re going to take you, if not then it’ll be more comprehensive as they’re trying to get more positives and trying to find more reasons to hire you, but again I could be wrong and obviously it will differ in different firms etc :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    tbh I might be wrong but the impression I get from speaking to people is that if you have excellent feedback from the scheme your interview is really relaxed because they essentially know they’re going to take you, if not then it’ll be more comprehensive as they’re trying to get more positives and trying to find more reasons to hire you, but again I could be wrong and obviously it will differ in different firms etc :)
    It depends on the firm’s approach.

The firms I worked for, the interviewer wouldn’t have known the intern’s placement feedback. The interview was very separate from the placement feedback and a candidate had to do well in both to get an offer.

Even if that wasn’t the case, I really wouldn’t equate how relaxed an interview is as an indicator of how well you did on your placement. There are far too many variables that could give that perception.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Daniel Boden, tk166 and Holly

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

They could have been two very different assessments.

As Grad Rec/HR, we used to do exit interviews but these weren’t a formal assessment. They were for us to get feedback on the scheme itself and also work out how likely the individual was to accept the scheme if we were to offer.

Interviews with partners were also done, but were the formal assessment. So it might be terminology that is different between firms. An exit interview is basically an HR process, usually applied to all employees. While a TC interview would be a formal assessment.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Daniel Boden, Hele25 and tk166
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.