2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 21, 2019
If I am on a waitlist (the only candidate on the list) for a TC spot is it acceptable to email the firm and say I’m still really interested in the position? They said they couldn’t take an extra person due to cash flows but I’ve seen they’ve been doing mergers etc and hiring lots of people so I don’t know if it’s worth speaking to them about it

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    What would you guys say are BCLP's top competitors? I was thinking like Baker McKenzie and like Addleshaw Goddard because they all seem to do well in real estate (particularly corporate) and they are all quite big on their international presence but I'm not sure if I'm even going about this right?

You're on the right track here. Identify the BCLP's biggest practice areas/industries, look at their rankings on Legal 500 then look into firms that have similar rankings in those areas. A firm will generally have different competitors based on their expertise in different areas (very rarely is a firm just going head to head with one or two other firms) and I think taking the approach I mentioned shows that you understand the market is pretty nuanced.

Reactions: cryingoverTCs

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    adding onto the London rent talk, is there any possibility that I can apply for the postgraduate loan for my GDL? Like what if I just can’t live on what the firm gives me will they just give my spot to someone who can???
    The GDL isn’t eligible for a PG loan because it isn’t a master’s level qualification. To be eligible for that you have to do one of those LLMs that are effectively a GDL + some kind of research component tacked on (eg a thesis), so it becomes master’s level. It needs to be your first-ever master’s though AFAIK.

Not sure how it works when your GDL is sponsored by a firm though!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: cloud9 and tk166

kat_

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 14, 2020
    Hi,
    I hope everyone is great!
    I'm applying Shoosmiths VS

I apologize if this seems obvious,
    But I'm really stuck on this question;
    The COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated change to our ways of working and the delivery of client service. Looking forward, consider the challenges facing the profession and describe how Shoosmiths can remain competitive and attractive to clients without compromising on profitability?

Does anyone have any idea?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Feels like you might have to disclose this but @Jessica Booker will know better.

Side note: My friend matched with a guy on Tinder, few days later at a virtual Open Day ends up having to make awkward conversation with him because he's a trainee at the firm. She's got a TC there now though... 😂
    No - don’t need to declare this.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    adding onto the London rent talk, is there any possibility that I can apply for the postgraduate loan for my GDL? Like what if I just can’t live on what the firm gives me will they just give my spot to someone who can???
    If it is a masters level course, yes. If it is a standard GDL then you might be able to get a professional loan from a bank.

Reactions: tk166

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If I am on a waitlist (the only candidate on the list) for a TC spot is it acceptable to email the firm and say I’m still really interested in the position? They said they couldn’t take an extra person due to cash flows but I’ve seen they’ve been doing mergers etc and hiring lots of people so I don’t know if it’s worth speaking to them about it
    How long have you been on the waitlist?

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    Me after I finally get that response from Osborne Clarke

skeleton terrifying GIF

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Hey guys,

@Jacob Miller this may be a question for you as it is based off your article but does anyone know whether it is breaching the SRA Code of Conduct to lie on behalf of a client to the other party in the course of negotiation- I know you cannot do so if you are misleading the court but not sure if it's generally prohibited in a private negotiation setting, my gut would say so but wanted to check!

• Wow
    Reactions: FM302989

lilli

Star Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    Hi,

The COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated change to our ways of working and the delivery of client service. Looking forward, consider the challenges facing the profession and describe how Shoosmiths can remain competitive and attractive to clients without compromising on profitability?

Hey, I asked this same question in here last week and was given some advice - if you search the Q it'll come up :)

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hi,

Remote working
    Technology
    Clients
    These will be a starting point for you.

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Hey guys - If I used to date someone who works at a firm that I'm applying to for a TC, do I need to disclose this in the question where they ask if I have any links with the firm? They're an NQ if that matters at all.

I told myself I'd never apply to the said firm but it's a great one that I'd love to do a TC at and I've been rejected by most others at this point (or maybe I was just too lonely this valentines lol)

Hahaha I literally had exactly this, I decided not to apply in the end 🤣

• Haha
    Reactions: Rob93
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.