2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayC

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Jan 8, 2021
Anyone else who was invited to the Feb Open day by BCLP not heard anything about it? Its in less than a week and I haven't heard a peep since registration...
I was invited to a White & Case Open Day at 7pm the night before the open day, and told I needed to respond by 8pm!! I had forgot I even applied lol

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I am! When did you apply?

Wondering if I should email Grad Rec because I applied back in October 😫
    I applied around the same time as you - Jess suggested the other day that they might be putting some of the exempt people into the same AC if that makes sense? But getting a bit tired of waiting and a bit concerned cause I haven't seen an exempt person get through...

Jhn222

Jan 15, 2021
    I applied around the same time as you - Jess suggested the other day that they might be putting some of the exempt people into the same AC if that makes sense? But getting a bit tired of waiting and a bit concerned cause I haven't seen an exempt person get through...
    I’m not exempt :( but I do get where you’re coming from!

I guess we will have to wait and see! It is killing me though

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    I’m not exempt :( but I do get where you’re coming from!

I guess we will have to wait and see! It is killing me though
    I'm not exempt either - but I strongly suspect rather than classing it by exempt they'll be putting together everyone who will need extra time of some sort in the assessment. I just did an ac this morning (with cs, not law though) where all of us needed extra prep time on activities for whatever reason and tbh I think if I was with people who didn't need it it would've been a bit of a mess in terms of me working away while all of the others who don't need it just sitting around, so now i feel like I understand why we probably haven't heard back yet - they're probably setting up specific ACs for those who have extra time requirements if you guys both need them too.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I have heard this but don't take my word for it.
    Rather than categorising US firms vs Magic/Silver Circle firms it's much more nuanced than that and will literally be on a firm by firm basis in my experience.

For instance, I had a mixture of 2.1s and 2.2s in my first 2 years of university (still averaged a 2.1 overall) and then got a first in my final year and a first overall for my degree and my firm (a US firm) didn't mention my grades once throughout the application process

Jhn222

Jan 15, 2021
    I'm not exempt either - but I strongly suspect rather than classing it by exempt they'll be putting together everyone who will need extra time of some sort in the assessment. I just did an ac this morning (with cs, not law though) where all of us needed extra prep time on activities for whatever reason and tbh I think if I was with people who didn't need it it would've been a bit of a mess in terms of me working away while all of the others who don't need it just sitting around, so now i feel like I understand why we probably haven't heard back yet - they're probably setting up specific ACs for those who have extra time requirements if you guys both need them too.

I actually didn’t select any extra requirements on my application at all which is why I’m wondering whether my PFO got lost 🤣

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I hope so? And it would be nice to know this at least but then I guess it would be a breach of confidentiality.

I also hope they haven't used it as a reason to put us at the back of the list cause I cant make one of the VS dates now. :/

Reactions: Kablahc

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019

Is this TW??? I didn't have adjustments and also haven't heard back yet though :(

Reactions: Kablahc and collie_121

tk166

Esteemed Member
    Jul 17, 2020
    adding onto the London rent talk, is there any possibility that I can apply for the postgraduate loan for my GDL? Like what if I just can’t live on what the firm gives me will they just give my spot to someone who can???

Reactions: cloud9

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Anyone else find it a bit draining when every single post on your LinkedIn feed is a lengthy “I’m so happy to announce I’ve got on ... vac scheme/TC”. Obvs happy their successes but draining for those of us getting rejections 😅
    This was the exact point I was making the other day when we had that mini-discussion re LinkedIn posts on this thread haha

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hey guys - If I used to date someone who works at a firm that I'm applying to for a TC, do I need to disclose this in the question where they ask if I have any links with the firm? They're an NQ if that matters at all.

I told myself I'd never apply to the said firm but it's a great one that I'd love to do a TC at and I've been rejected by most others at this point (or maybe I was just too lonely this valentines lol)

Feels like you might have to disclose this but @Jessica Booker will know better.

Side note: My friend matched with a guy on Tinder, few days later at a virtual Open Day ends up having to make awkward conversation with him because he's a trainee at the firm. She's got a TC there now though... 😂

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.