2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MZ

Esteemed Member
Forum Winner
Oct 7, 2020
I have adhd and if that (or a different learning disability) is what you have, then, to my knowledge, you would need to have the university-related assessment your doctor mentioned. Doctor's aren't typically qualified to assess you in this way or say how much extra time you are entitled to, so you will likely have to chase up your university to book you one or find a testing centre independently.

The testing only takes about an hour or two and is less than 100 pounds if you have to pay out of pocket. Your university should cover the cost though. The report specifies exactly how certain scenarios may impact your performance and has a recommendation as to the type of accomodations you should get.

If you have a non-learning disability though, I don't know if the above would apply. Hope that helps!
Thank you!! That's really helpful, I didn't know there were actual assessments for this (I do have a SpLD)

• 🤝
Reactions: whisperingrock

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey guys, if a law firm asks you for documentation confirming how much additional time you need for your reasonable adjustments request (after you submitted evidence of diagnosis), what kind of documentation are they looking for? I was only diagnosed recently (a couple of months ago) and I haven't had any exams or assignments that needed to be completed within a short time limit since then so I've never gotten additional time and don't have any documentation regarding reasonable adjustments. My doctor doesn't seem willing to provide any documentation aside from my official diagnosis letter because he says my university will assess that themselves for exam adjustments, but in this case, it's not a university-related assessment. What can I do?

just provide the official diagnosis letter and explain that nothing had been practically provided in terms of an adjustment yet. Feel free to PM me if it’s easier to discuss the specifics

Reactions: MZ

RSta

M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Jul 31, 2019
Hey, I received an email from Willkie that they would get back to me next week regarding the outcome of VI (I completed the VI three weeks ago). Is this another way saying that I'm rejected?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When talking about contract law in an application, is it contract law or Contract Law?

would only be capitals if you are putting a title of a module...

I enjoy contract law
In my Contract Law module, I obtained a first

(note the bottom only work technically if that was the title of the module).

E.A

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2019
From my notes taken from last December's Open Day, it is a strengths-based telephone interview.

Can I ask, when did you complete the test and get the telephone interview invite?
I did the telephone interview in January and it was a strength based one.

MLA

M&A Bootcamp
Jan 25, 2020
Ive not applied for S&S but every firm has this question and Grad Rec covered it at a few open days ive been to:

I usually structure these in a pretty simple way - if you've got loads of examples just pick say your top 5 that demonstrate your range. Best to have 5 really well reasoned things than list 20 things. If you've got 20 things, go for a combination that shows off the most variety and the most transferable or soft skills. This box is a really good place to put extracurriculars no matter what they are and show you're more than a study machine :D
For example that might be a couple of things you did in uni like societies or volunteering, or perhaps any more commercial courses you've done that didnt really 'fit' anywhere elsewhere in the application form along with any sport/hobby achievements. So imagine if you took say an Open U course in company law voluntarily over lockdown, although you couldn't put that in university education (unless you went to OU) that's an example of a type of thing a firm would be interested to see in that box.
Like Ricky said they're looking for transferable skills so it doesn't really matter what you've done as long as you can show the attributes they want, whether that's organisational/time management/communication/leadership etc. In every event Grad Rec has really emphasised they want to see elaboration: if you won a silver medal in water polo or something, although it's cool you did that, they want to see how it can apply to being a solicitor: did it give you discipline/work ethic/resilience, etc. Hope this helped :)
Good advice! thank you :D

• 🤝
Reactions: Kablahc

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
@Jessica Booker So I have just realised that an application I submitted last week asked for 'up to three' work experiences and I have done my standard five years, which has six work experiences. I'm kicking myself for making such a stupid mistake because I spent SO much time doing this application! Do you think it would be worth me emailing Grad Rec about it? Or would it make no difference?

Lawbour

Legendary Member
Dec 25, 2018
Hi Guys, hope you're all having a happy Sunday :)

I have been 'working' on my Mishcon de Reya app on and off for the past two sad long lonely months and have changed my answer to the 'tell us about a recent case' question at least half a dozen times... and today is another one of those times.

Basically, I kinda want to talk about the European Commission's clampdown on Amazon's bad/ anticompetitive behaviour so I can talk about the general 'tech firms need to be controlled' fiasco that's been going on over the past 18 months... the only problem is that the Amazon thing is not technically a 'case' per se as no one has had to go to court, rather the EC has just finished their investigation into Amazon - so is it still relevant for me to write about this even though it is not an actual fully-fledged case?

Would love to hear other people's thoughts :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Celestie

A12345

Dec 18, 2018
@Jessica Booker So I have just realised that an application I submitted last week asked for 'up to three' work experiences and I have done my standard five years, which has six work experiences. I'm kicking myself for making such a stupid mistake because I spent SO much time doing this application! Do you think it would be worth me emailing Grad Rec about it? Or would it make no difference?

Is this for Gowling WLG? Because they asked for something similar and GR said in a online session a week before the deadline that whilst we ask for 3 - you can put more!

James Kitching

Distinguished Member
Oct 26, 2019
Hi Guys, hope you're all having a happy Sunday :)

I have been 'working' on my Mishcon de Reya app on and off for the past two sad long lonely months and have changed my answer to the 'tell us about a recent case' question at least half a dozen times... and today is another one of those times.

Basically, I kinda want to talk about the European Commission's clampdown on Amazon's bad/ anticompetitive behaviour so I can talk about the general 'tech firms need to be controlled' fiasco that's been going on over the past 18 months... the only problem is that the Amazon thing is not technically a 'case' per se as no one has had to go to court, rather the EC has just finished their investigation into Amazon - so is it still relevant for me to write about this even though it is not an actual fully-fledged case?

Would love to hear other people's thoughts :)
It should (in my opinion) be fine, the EC has filed formal antitrust charges against Amazon for using their extensive data advantage against 3rd party vendors. This is one of many good examples of European and American antitrust ‘clampdowns’ and is most certainly relevant, especially if your firm of interest has a large client base in TMT high market M&A and other effected areas.

Please someone say if they disagree with this: I believe that (dependent on the wording of the question in the app) it is more important to portray your interest in the recent case and its applicability to the firm (if asked) rather than the legal details, whether or not it is ‘fully-fledged’ litigation etc etc.

Reactions: CT

H S

Distinguished Member
Sep 11, 2018
Just to gauge and perhaps reassess my strategy, I was just wondering how long do you guys take roughly on each application? Obviously depends on the application and whether you're studying, working, etc. alongside, but would appreciate knowing how people split/manage their time!

NCLaw

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 5, 2018
Just to gauge and perhaps reassess my strategy, I was just wondering how long do you guys take roughly on each application? Obviously depends on the application and whether you're studying, working, etc. alongside, but would appreciate knowing how people split/manage their time!

Hi, I take way way way too long!! I am working full time as a paralegal and often finish at 7/8pm so I don't get much time on weeknights. But I struggle to stay focussed on the weekends and also find time to relax. When I do start writing I become a perfectionist and take ages to just write one answer. Then I doubt my abilities entirely and get frustrated which makes the whole process even longer. If anyone can offer some tips to me too, that would be great!

I have worked out the best time of the day to work for me though (I am not a night owl and focus better first thing in the morning) so maybe try that too? Set a few hours during the day to work to the best of your abilities and put your phone away for that time. Might help (although I don't know your situation)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.